1960s MICROWAVE COOKBOOK

noirdood

Registered
Reaction score
I was at a local thrift store looking at books for sale and I found an interesting microwave cookbook from the 1960s. When I got it back home I saw this recipe for Microwave Haggis. I need a little input about the recipe.
It says to buy a medium-sized Haggis with the fur taken off and the insides all cleaned out. Then you stuff it with onion, chopped hearts and livers and so on.
Instead of oats they recommend you use Instant Oatmeal. My question to you guys is – should I use Maple/Brown Sugar or Cinnamon/Apple or Cinnamon and Spice Instant Oatmeal?
Also, if I use too much oatmeal and water will the whole thing explode in the microwave? I thank you in advance for the input.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't know microwaves existed in the 1960's. We didn't get them here until the mid to late '70's.

And if a haggis has fur, it's well past its sell-by date.

J.Catherine

you call me Jen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jcatherine.com
cinnamon and apple sounds better, but if I'm honest I detest haggis so either way probably works.

Now, don't catch free range-wild haggis they can carry diseases. Make sure to get a farm bred haggis, preferably from Fife ;)

noirdood

Registered
Reaction score
GaidD -- the first (big and expensive) microwave came out in the 1950s. Many cheaper models came out in the 1960s.
Jen -- I was told to go to "the other side of the tracks" in Glascow to buy inexpensive Haggis, fur-on. You know, the not-best side of town where they brew the cheap corn-based whisky to weaken real, sure 'enuf Single Malt Scotch whisky for them sissy 'Mericans who can't abide the real, full-flavored stuff. (The Glenlivit for this kid, thank you. Four fingers.)

J.Catherine

you call me Jen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jcatherine.com
GaidD -- the first (big and expensive) microwave came out in the 1950s. Many cheaper models came out in the 1960s.
Jen -- I was told to go to "the other side of the tracks" in Glascow to buy inexpensive Haggis, fur-on. You know, the not-best side of town where they brew the cheap corn-based whisky to weaken real, sure 'enuf Single Malt Scotch whisky for them sissy 'Mericans who can't abide the real, full-flavored stuff. (The Glenlivit for this kid, thank you. Four fingers.)

lol you'll be lucky to even get nice whisky in Glasgow these days. It's the most industrial place in the country so all we drink is glens 'cause we all nasty cheap jakes. All our haggis is already battered.

There's actually a chipshop that can now sell them more expensive than the other chip shops cause Justin Beiber had a battered haggis there.

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Just shows you how long it took for new technology to reach all the way down to this little patch of Africa. :ROFL:

J.Catherine

you call me Jen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jcatherine.com
Just shows you how long it took for new technology to reach all the way down to this little patch of Africa. :ROFL:

If I lived in South Africa I'd continually go to my friends and eat those giant tasty burger things that begin with s that I totally forgot the name of. No need for microwaves :D

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
The problem with haggis is it sounds just as revolting in its traditional form as the microwave versions, hairy versions, and deep-fried (I assume? if it's battered?) versions do.

It's probably delicious. Like tarantula legs and sushi and mopani worm and a variety of other foods I'm too wimpy to try.

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If I lived in South Africa I'd continually go to my friends and eat those giant tasty burger things that begin with s that I totally forgot the name of. No need for microwaves :D

*wracks brains*

Sosaties? Shwarmas?

I need a few more clues. :D

*wonders how jjdebenedictis found out about mopani worms*

Last edited:

Ink-Pen-Paper

Life Is Full Of Stories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
what-me.com
A furry Haggis is just like a glass of Scotch with a splash of seltzer water. Not right. First off I made a vow (after a night of drinking Scotch) that I would never again drink anything filtered through peat. And, a sheep stomach filled with stuff is so close to a glass of whiskey with a hint of smokey peat that I could not go further.
My friend is so Scottish he has a Scottish name and he has the same opinion of Haggis. He does drink bourbon though.

J.Catherine

you call me Jen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jcatherine.com
*wracks brains*

Sosaties? Shwarmas?

I need a few more clues. :D

Gah I can't remember at all >.< I had them in Soshe (township about an hour from Jo'Burg airport). It as like this giant loaf of bread and inside you'd put chips and meat and stuff. It was from this cafe. There was also this junkie there....gah I'm bad with memories.

image hosting free no registration

they look like that if that helps

Last edited:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
See, I thought you really meant it and I was kind of interested, because I have a wide-ranging collection of twentieth century cookbooks (with many utterly appalling recipes), and I would have found a 1960s approach to microwave cookery of some interest, if only a morbid one.

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just read about them in Trevor Noah's book.

They sound revolting.

Actually, they're very quiet.

But I've seen them. I even sniffed a packet they were in but nothing could persuade me to try one. They smelled like very old, stale peanut butter. Ew!

Gah I can't remember at all >.< I had them in Soshe (township about an hour from Jo'Burg airport). It as like this giant loaf of bread and inside you'd put chips and meat and stuff. It was from this cafe. There was also this junkie there....gah I'm bad with memories.

image hosting free no registration

they look like that if that helps

Aha!!!! That, my dear, is a bunny chow!!!!

And wow! So glad you could visit here. I hope you enjoyed it. :D

PS. No bunnies are involved in the making of a bunny chow. Just thought you folk may like to know that. :D

M Louise

Registered
Reaction score
GailD, I think Jen is talking about SUBMARINES. Also called a Gatsby at times. The bunny chow originates in KwaZulu-Natal and is primarily a delicious meat or vegetable curry put into a scooped-out loaf of bread.

A submarine is a long split bread roll crammed with chicken or beef and salad and sauce and chips. Revolting but irresistible to those who have tried it. I haven't, myself.

Hate microwaves, I wouldn't do that to a harmless little furry haggis.

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
GailD, I think Jen is talking about SUBMARINES. Also called a Gatsby at times. The bunny chow originates in KwaZulu-Natal and is primarily a delicious meat or vegetable curry put into a scooped-out loaf of bread.

A submarine is a long split bread roll crammed with chicken or beef and salad and sauce and chips. Revolting but irresistible to those who have tried it. I haven't, myself.

Hate microwaves, I wouldn't do that to a harmless little furry haggis.

Yes, it could be a sub but looking at the shape of the bread and the piece of pap on top, it sure looks like a bunny chow to me. With a couple of 'Russians' on the side. :D

M Louise

Registered
Reaction score
What, two South Africans in disagreement? Never.

You're right though, GailD. I looked more closely at the pic and that is a hollowed-out half-loaf of bunny chow. With slaap chips and Russians on the side. Delicious and terribly unhealthy.