Dream Vacation

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you could spend a month in southern Italy (and thereabouts) or Australia, which one would you pick, and why?

jekwrites

Registered
Reaction score
I would 100% pick Australia! I grew up obsessed with the Animal Planet television channel and I love everything about the Australian wildlife. I would have to visit the zoo that Steve Irwin worked at, he was a big hero of little kid me!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Australia!

Way more interesting and different stuff, much bigger country with lots more options (though yes, lots of it is kind of empty desert, still). Italy has a lot of art, but it's also easier to get to any other time. The animals alone in Australia (though I would not go to a zoo).

In Oz can also go to NZ, could go to ANTARCTICA more easily.

I would only go to Australia in southern h. winter though. :D

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
That's a poser, all right. Certain parts of Australia hold a lot of appeal—primarily because friends there and I could probably hop over to New Zealand to see friends there, too. Buuut, southern Italy (far less touristy than northern Italy) appeals to me too. Decisions, decisions.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Southern Italy. Especially Selinunte. I've been there before, but I'd love to go back. Magical place. Also, Sorrento is gorgeous - or it was when I was there. Italy is lovely, but you'd need a lifetime.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Southern Italy. Especially Selinunte. I've been there before, but I'd love to go back. Magical place. Also, Sorrento is gorgeous - or it was when I was there. Italy is lovely, but you'd need a lifetime.

Well, there ya go: we could meet up there and that'd solve part of the "Australia problem". :greenie

J.Catherine

you call me Jen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jcatherine.com
I'd go with the less popular option and say Southern Italy. It's likely to be less hot, less bugs and things, and a lot of culture and old history. But those are my things.

Basically, go to Australia if you want a city break with pubs, clubs, BBQ's, the ocean, the beach and swimming pools.

Go to Italy if you rich culture, history, a more unusual vacation setting, brilliant food and wine(? I'm guessing)

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I'd go with the less popular option and say Southern Italy. It's likely to be less hot, less bugs and things, and a lot of culture and old history. But those are my things.

Basically, go to Australia if you want a city break with pubs, clubs, BBQ's, the ocean, the beach and swimming pools.

Go to Italy if you rich culture, history, a more unusual vacation setting, brilliant food and wine(? I'm guessing)

I'm...guessing you haven't been to either location.

Which is, I suppose, the point of the thread. Carry on.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com

I'm curious. Have you ever actually been to Australia? Coz that's a kind of, um, stereotyped view of what "Australia" is.

Also ... what do you mean by "history"? Coz ours goes back 60,000+ years...

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I preferred my visit to Australia over my visit to Italy, but then I did stay significantly longer down under (two weeks versus two days). Australia has the sort of weather and landscape I enjoy, and being a monolingual numpty I found it much easier to get by with only English.

However, my partner is the sort of tourist who keeps art galleries in business, and he vastly prefers Italy.

Last edited:

M Louise

Registered
Reaction score
Australia. I've been reading Gerald Murnane and would love to go off and try to discover his landscapes. As one reviewer puts it, 'The Plains invites, even requires, the reader to re-imagine “Australia”, “nation”, “land” and “home”, concepts that float at the edge of a narrative at the centre of which lies the ache of exile and displacement.'

On the other hand, pasta. Risotto. Slow Food in Puglia. Pizza. Lasagna. Limoncello in Campania. Olive groves.

The life of the mind may not be enough to sustain body and soul.

M Louise

Registered
Reaction score
Helix, you're talking to someone who watches Master Chef Australia on TV, has cookbooks by Bill Granger, Maggie Beer, David Thompson on Thai. Kylie Kwong, Donna Hay, Luke Nguyen. Brilliant recipes and I know from foodie friends how creative the restaurant scene is there in most cities.

I could also take Gerald Murnane with me to Italy, but when I'm there I slide into an overfed blissful stupor. For all I know I'd do that in Australia too!

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
Italy. Because there you don't get bitten, poisoned, eaten and digested by the wildlife.

Koala claws are cruel, man.
No, that's drop bears you're thinking of. They just pretend to be koalas, to get you come closer.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Italy. Because there you don't get bitten, poisoned, eaten and digested by the wildlife.

Every time I read something like that, I wonder at the miracle that so many of us have survived for as long as we have down here.

M Louise

Registered
Reaction score
Sadly, Australia no longer has the blind singer/songwriter Dr G Yunupingu who died this week, but his music is still there to be accessed. A friend in Tasmania sent me recording of his work about seven years ago and I was blown away. In South Africa we have phenomenal jazz and indigenous music traditions, but I don't know anything as purely melodic and soulful as, say, Wiyathul.