• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Co-Writer for Fantasy Novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Help with basic plot and actual writing? That's one tall order, Canislupus54.

Can I suggest you start by reading books of the sort you wish to write, so you can see how others handle plotting and writing.

Browsing this enormous site can be helpful, too.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Bufty on this. What you're seeking is more than sensible people are willing to give. If they can use the circumstances you've created and spin a plot from it, and do a good bit of the writing, they don't need you. What you've got so far is not especially unique in fantasy.

One thing you can use as a springboard for your own ideas is world building. Patricia Wrede has a nice set of questions to get you started here. It will guide you through creating a literal world, with a belief system, economic base, kingdoms or nations, natural resources, cultures, etc.--everything you need to come up with a conflict.

Maryn

Canislupus54

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Help with basic plot and actual writing? That's one tall order, Canislupus54.

Can I suggest you start by reading books of the sort you wish to write, so you can see how others handle plotting and writing.

Browsing this enormous site can be helpful, too.

I've tried that. It doesn't help.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not really good enough at playing with others to co-write a book, but I don't think I ever have even a whole short story all the way figured out before I start on it. More like just a persistent story fragment or two, which grows as I go along.

So, even if you don't find a co-writer, maybe you'd get unstuck by just sitting down and banging out the opening scene. Or the ending scene, or whatever part is already in your mind right now. Good luck.

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've tried that. It doesn't help.

Tried what? Have you read books of the sort you wish to write? If not, you should do so - osmosis is the term for absorbing information by observing.

No need to be sorry for asking, and not necessary for you to delete your post - but having others do the work for you is just not the way to advance your writing skills.

Have a peek at Techniques of the Selling Writer by Dwight V Swain. It's an old book but readable and still relevant. Don't study it- just relax and read it.

Good luck.:Hug2:

ETA - I see you received a whole lot of helpful comments on your SYW submission just a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.