Can anyone explain Amazon's KDP pay system?

Pegster

Girando e fuzzicando
Registered
Reaction score
A quick question: If Amazon says book costs $6 to make, publish on demand, and I price it at $12, where does the remaining $6 go? Do I get it, or just the royalty? Thanks!

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Amazon is going to take a chunk of that royalty. I'm not sure how much, but you will not get the full $6.

I used CreateSpace for my own book. They tell you exactly what you're going to make in royalties based on the price of your book.

Sleeping Cat Books

Booking design projects for fall
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sleepingcatbooks.com
KDP Print: (https://kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=A1OYGQ0E1L4WBS)
Paperback royalty rates are 60% of your list price minus printing costs, applicable taxes and withholding.
60% of List Price - Printing Costs - Applicable Taxes or Withholding = Estimated Royalty

Using a 184-page black and white book, USD list price at $8.99
(8.99 * .6) - (0.85 + 2.20) = $2.34 (assuming no taxes or withholding)

Pegster

Girando e fuzzicando
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, that was very helpful. Thanks for the link!

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
That is the deceptive thing about KDP Print. They claim the author gets a 60% royalty, but you don't. You simply don't. Period. You get anywhere between zero percent royalty, priced at the minimum sell price, where Amazon still gets their 40% and the remainder is the print cost, which I assure you Amazon is not taking a loss on, and your royalty asymptotically approaches 60% as the sell price of the book increases. It favors high priced books with relatively low print costs. From the author's perspective. Amazon couldn't care less how you price your book.

Even though the pricing structure is punitive, and I make less of a margin on a $9.99 print book than I do on a $3.99 ebook, I feel it is beneficial to offer the option for some to buy a print version if they are willing to spring for the money. And some people are. They just don't sell well enough to make an issue of it.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
As someone else said, use Createspace instead of KDP Print. You'll know exactly what the printing costs and royalties are, before you commit to publishing.