PDA

View Full Version : Would I refer to the cartridge, or the shell or casing?

Mary Mitchell
07-23-2017, 10:22 PM
You know how we say there's such a small amount of something it "wouldn't fill a thimble". In the context I'm working in I want to say it "wouldn't fill a 9mm handgun shell/cartridge/casing. Is there one of those terms that would be preferable over the others? Would I say "9mm handgun shell" or leave out "handgun"? I'm not familiar with guns (although I've done black powder target shooting--not relevant here), so I'm not sure how "gun people" would say it.

Edit: I just thought of another one, which I'm leaning toward if it sounds okay to gun folks:
...wouldn't fill a 99mm handgun round.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Duncan J Macdonald
07-24-2017, 02:31 AM
You know how we say there's such a small amount of something it "wouldn't fill a thimble". In the context I'm working in I want to say it "wouldn't fill a 9mm handgun shell/cartridge/casing. Is there one of those terms that would be preferable over the others? Would I say "9mm handgun shell" or leave out "handgun"? I'm not familiar with guns (although I've done black powder target shooting--not relevant here), so I'm not sure how "gun people" would say it.

Edit: I just thought of another one, which I'm leaning toward if it sounds okay to gun folks:
...wouldn't fill a 99mm handgun round.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

I'd go with "Wouldn't fill a 9mm casing."

Shells are for shotguns and field artillery. Rounds are complete with bullet, powder, and primer in the casing.

Mary Mitchell
07-24-2017, 02:42 AM
Thanks for your help, Duncan. I'll do that.

bombergirl69
07-24-2017, 05:11 AM
Second casing - so tiny it wouldn't fill a .22 casing.

Mary Mitchell
07-24-2017, 06:47 AM
Thanks bombergirl.

JNG01
07-26-2017, 12:30 AM
Case, casing, or brass--all three words would work. If you don't want to specify caliber, you could say "wouldn't fill a spent case." 9mm is pretty small. An empty case has a total volume of less than one cc.

WeaselFire
07-28-2017, 04:21 AM
FWIW, the case/casing is the part that holds the rest of the cartridge parts together, the cartridge is the entire thing assembled and a shell is what is used in artillery, field guns, shotguns or to hold a raw oyster on my plate, waiting for a little lime and Tabasco. :)

Jeff