PDA

View Full Version : The days before a release

efreysson
07-23-2017, 12:24 PM
I now have four books out on Amazon Kindle, and my fifth is basically ready. But I want to try to do this release properly. My pattern so far has basically amounted to putting it out there and posting a few social media links. It hasn't worked. At all. Each of my books sells progressively less, and I think I've tried just about all the things indie authors are encouraged to do, to zero effect. Zero.

My latest attempt was to make use of Createspace to make a print copy and running a Goodreads Giveaway. I got over a thousand people signing on, but it didn't lead to the tiniest blip in sales.

Might I have better luck if I run a Giveaway in the weeks leading to the release? I'm extremely reluctant to use some kind of paid ad thing, because those have never led to a single sale for me, but I am scheduled for an October author spotlight on the Reddit Fantasy subreddit. Would making the release and giveaway coincide with it somehow be a strong move?

What ARE authors with no social media standing supposed to do in the weeks leading up to a release?

CathleenT
07-26-2017, 12:44 AM
I don't think self-published authors with no social media presence sell much. I can't imagine trying to promote a book without Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and blogging.

Perhaps Amazon ads would be the way to go for you.

chompers
07-26-2017, 01:01 AM
Are you engaging with the readers or are you just spamming when you post the links?*

*Disclaimer: Not self-published, so what do I know?

Daffyjkl
07-26-2017, 10:23 PM
I'm in the same position, zero social media standing. I know I need to get a website and start promoting on social media, but as yet I haven't started (but will soon). I have tried Amazon KDP advertising and have managed to get some reasonable results, just don't expect to make money. If I include KENP I break even or make a small profit. It's a lot of effort for little return, but at least I know my work is being read. I have a post regarding KDP advertising: KDP Advertising Tips

(http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?329176-KDP-Advertising-Tips)

CathleenT
07-27-2017, 10:54 PM
Was that aimed at me, chompers?

If so, I don't even know how you'd spam on Pinterest. I just have nifty collections of unicorns, dragons, etc.

My blog is an eclectic mix--author interviews, book reviews, my stories, and my thoughts on various things.

I use Facebook and Twitter mostly to cross-promote. Then others return the favor, so it benefits me in a roundabout way, but I've never heard that referred to as spamming. :)

chompers
07-28-2017, 05:34 AM
No, it was a question for the OP. :) He said would post a bunch of links, but nothing came of it.