PDA

View Full Version : Identifying information

Gonzo Jack
07-22-2017, 12:50 PM
Hi, a contest request goes "please no identifying information on your story." Does that apply to the cover letter also or just the story itself? Both documents will go via Submittable so the publisher can find out who I am that way. Obviously I'm a newbie.
Thank you in advance.

Sleeping Cat Books
07-22-2017, 01:31 PM
I would think they don't want any identifying information on the story itself, so when they pass all the entries to the judge(s), there is nothing included to identify any authors.

Evelyn_Alexie
07-25-2017, 05:28 AM
In most contests I've been involved with (as a judge or contestant) this refers to the personal information that is found under File>Properties in the Word document. The last contest I judged, they said it was not possible for someone using Word on a Mac to strip out all the personal information from a Word doc. I've never heard that from any other contest.

Shoeless
07-25-2017, 05:52 AM
They probably just mean the usual manuscript formatting should be adjusted to make ti more anonymous. Under normal circumstances, a manuscript will have headers that automatically include your last name as well as the titles (or a few words from the title if it's a long title) in the upper right hand corner, to ensure that an author is easily identifiable should a print out be required and the pages get separated. They probably just mean make sure your title page doesn't have your name, if a title page is required, and the same with the manuscript itself.

Anna Iguana
07-25-2017, 06:32 AM
In addition to what Shoeless said, they probably also mean: put your cover letter in the blank on the Submittable form. Do *not* include a cover letter as the first page of the document you attach (which some authors otherwise tend to do).