Natural painkillers...this is a serious thread..!

Choose!

• Cup of tea

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • Bacon roll

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Cocaine

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Morphine

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • White chocolate

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Popping candy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Teeth-gnashing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mind-control

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Magic headache fairy dust

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Little green gnomes performing a voodoo dance

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Melisande

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Didn't do the poll.

Close the curtains, put a little bit of Vick's Vaporub on my temples, lay down and listen to Ralph Lundsten's music for about an hour. It works for me.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
You also forgot the magic bullet. One shot cure for any headache. Guaranteed you'll never have another migraine!

Reaction score
I'm one of maestro's ladies*. Woot!

Well, better late than a bit too soon, if you get my drift, nudge nudge wink wink! :D

*Clearly, this is a misnomer.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
When my son gets headaches I use a little accupressure technique. I pinch the hell out of the webbing between his thumb and forefinger for 30 seconds. Works every time.

Myself, I put on classical music and rub my temples in a circular manner.

Reaction score
I like the Russian composers and I don't think Tchaikovsky is gentle enough for my head at the mo. Thankfully it's not a migraine. It's hot here (Dundee) and as us Scots aren't used to good weather, I think it's simply a heat/dehydration headache.

I believe I have some Mozart knocking around somewhere. He might cure the head and stimulate my brain to write more.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Strong coffee sometimes works.

I had a migraine all day yesterday. I tried allergy pills, advil and strong coffee, but nothing worked.

It was a horrid day all around.

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
I'll second the Excedrin, though magic fairy dust would be a nice compliment. When my headaches are really bad (I get migraines) I've found that the combo of 2 Excedrin (which has caffeine in it for those of you who chose coffee) and a Benedryl works pretty well most often. I also like hot compresses. Some people prefer cold, but I've always found hot to be more soothing for me.

I use the aucpressure techniques, too. But when they're bad, I go right for my Excedrin. (Oh, and just for the record, Excedrin Migraine is EXACTLY the same thing as Etra Strength Excedrin. It's just different packaging. Nice, huh? They make think THIS is going to be even better, but it's the same stuff. I was (and still am <G>) quite annoyed when I discovered that, right after they started the Excedrin Migraine campaign.)

Susan G. - who also does dark rooms. Don't snarl too much, though, cause that just makes my head hurt more. <G>

Last edited:

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Peppermint Tea. I grow my own..it's easy.

But you didn't include EVENING PRIMROSE OIL. Among other things..( It has omega 3's) it is an anti inflammatory, which means it works on most migraines, headaches, cramps, backaches......I could go on and on.....

So I don't keep Motrin or Aleve or any of that (crap..sorry folks) in my house. I do keep aspirin and if the Doc insists on Motrin, I ask for some of those samples they like to give away.

And everyone I've turned on to the tea/primrose combo is thrilled!

Oh let me reiterate...Evening Primrose. I think the latin name is 'oenthera biennis' but you should check. You can grow the plant but harvesting the seeds to make oil from is over-kill.

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
I'm with Rich: peace and quiet.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How natural is 'natural'? Everybody's biochemistry is a little different, but at our house, three of the four don't find ibuprofin (Motrin) or acetaminophen (Tylenol) does a thing for headaches, although they're good for fever, muscle aches, etc.

What works? Plain old aspirin or Excedrin, plus any treatment that might improve the triggering condition, whether it's my funky sinuses (steamy shower, hydration, more surgery), overheating (fast coolish shower, sloppy drying, sit damp in front of the fan with a novel), or stress (massage, distraction via entertainment, music).

Any of that seem promising? An OTC painkiller, a cup of steaming tea (even if it's hot out), and a hearty "Poor baby!" can do wonders.

Poor baby!

Maryn, feeling kind of earthmother-y

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
Aren't magic fairy dust and cocaine the same thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.