• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Chillax & Write partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shirokirie

*Leers at you awkwardly*
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for someone to banter with over email. You know, "Lonely Writer Syndrome" - or whatever the kids call it these days.

Basically, I'm looking for a general-purpose writer-to-writer friend-thing.

Now, if you have specific needs, such as (but not limited to):

• Read this excerpt and give me feedback, please;
  • How do I do this thingamajigger in my narrative;
  • Are my characters good;
  • Does my dialogue come off as authentic;
  • Why are you using semicolons in this list; or
  • Do know you what does it speaks English?

I'm more than happy to work with you.

My assistance is best suited for writers primarily of the Scifi and Fantasy genres, though if your work tends to encompass other genre-elements and whatnots, that's cool too. If you happen to have sex scenes in your story, or are an erotica writer, my only request is that you do not come to me with LGBT stuff.

Apart from a casual relationship, I'm not looking for feedback on my work. Unless you want to know more about what I do as a writer, and want to take a look-see, don't worry about that.

So. If you're interested, please send me a PM. ;)

Shirokirie

*Leers at you awkwardly*
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
An Update on 'Being Specific'. :)

I've gotten a number of friendly PMs, and a number of requests. For all of that, thank you. :)

However, I feel the need to clear up a couple of things so that both of us have a better understanding of what the nature of our interaction (or exchange) is going to be.

If you're looking for a (potential) Beta Reader:

Send me your blurb or query letter. All the requirements for queries and blurbs apply. Consider it practice for the real thing, because based off of that important letter that you send me, I'm going to decide whether I'm interested in taking you on or not. (And please address it to 'Shirokirie' instead of 'Dear Agent/Editor/Beta Reader/Generic, Non-specific, Placeholder Person' :))

If I'm interested, I'll ask for your first chapter. If after that I want to pursue your story, I'll ask for it.

If you're looking for a (potential) 'Story Assistant':

Please, by all means, send me a PM consisting of a brief synopsis of what you're working on (no more than 500 words), and the issues that you're having with the story in question. If you're wondering what I do, I enjoy the following:

• Substantive (developmental) editing;
  • Assisting with Worldbuilding/setting and background development;
  • Screwing with the English language;
  • Character Analysis, per whatever sadistic torment you've put them through/arc/etc;
  • Filling in pitfalls, plot holes, and inexplicable vortexes;
  • Other jazz and jargon that isn't listed here.

So, yes, telling me the problems you've got is important if you're aiming for this one here. Please make sure that your writing is 'up to par'. Meaning that if you haven't learned the basics of composing prose, please return to SYW. I am not going to teach you how to write a basic story.

If you want to be the friendly, writer-to-writer chat partner :)D):

Please, just send me a PM. Doesn't have to be complicated or anything, just pop up with whatever you want to talk about, and I'll (typically) take you up on it. :)

If you want to talk about writing, that's cool. It's an inevitable thing between writers. I imagine that at some point, casual snippets may be shared, but know that I'm only a nonchalant reader.

So yeah. Pick one, and run with it. If you can't carry on a casual conversation for the duration of the first two options, don't bother. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.