Ads by gooooooooogle

expatbrat

Look what we made:
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.expatbrat.com
According to the adsense website people are making 100's of dollars a day from clicks on their websites. Is anyone on here making any sort of descent cash from this program or something similar?

If yes – would you mind expanding on how long it took to reach each cash target and problems you encountered and overcame?

Thanks.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
Only a small minority make that sort of money. I've had ads on my site for a little over a year and I've made $14 something. To be fair, I took the ads off of my blog a long while ago and only left them on my other site. I might be a little higher if put them back on.

razibahmed

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hobbyecon.blogspot.com
I guess not even 1% of the bloggers make $100 a day. On the other hand, some people really make more than 10,000$ from adsense and other ads per month. For earning money you must have a professional outlook towards blogging and be ready to do the hard work. Blogging is like any other kind of work. The harder you work, the better chance you have of shining here.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
I just added ads back to the comments section of my blog. I'll see how that goes. They there where people can see them when they type comments and they're not intrusive.

Leva

Registered
Reaction score
How much you make on ads is going to be largely determined by your content.

For example, if your blog contains political rants, you're probably dealing with cynical readers who are NOT going to be motivated to click on ads. Plus ad targeting may be weird. Likewise, fictional stories won't perform well and -- depending on the content -- can accidently violate Google's TOS.

However, if your blog is about word travel, and many of your readers are finding the blog via google searches because they're planning a trip, and adsense is neatly matching your blog with travel agency ads, and ads for package tours, and ads from hotels and tourist destinations and airlines and etc. ... people are going to click to check out the deals.

There are some exceptions, of course. Movie reviews do NOT tend to not make that much money, because the ads tend to be of the scammy, "Free DVD if you complete our survey!" nature. (Translate that to, "We won't send you the DVD. And we're either going to install spyware on your computer or try to get you to give us your credit card number and SSN and all sorts of other bad info.)

You can ban them, but there's always another one ...

(As an aside -- one of the worst offenders for badly targeted ads is E-bay. They're banned from my site for this, and from the sites of a lot of other publishers. But they target pretty much every keyword around with very annoying ads that say "New and Used (keyword)." My favorite instance of E-bay ad spam, before I banned them, was "New and Used Buffy!" in response to a post about Sarah Michelle Gellar. The result, in this blog, was ribald commentary from a couple of readers. Now, Google's mediabot periodically checks pages for offensive content and the readers had used what are called "stop words" ... and Google's response to the stop words was to start serving Public Service Announcements rather than ads to the page. E-bay got banned from my site and the discussion got deleted, but last I checked, I still wasn't getting ads on that page.)

Leva

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It can also pay to replace the public service adds with you own add with one-off affiliate. You just need an add hosted somewhere and to change the default on adsense.

But to make a lot of money you have to encourage a lot of people to leave your page. I am general trying to funnel my readers to buy my books, not others peoples stuff.

Cyjon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andyhumphrey.net
I poked around several webmaster forums a while back looking into the possibilities for AdSense. If you treat AdSense as a get-rich-quick scheme, it will fail just like every get-rich-quick scheme. If you treat it as a business and put a lot of hard work, you MIGHT get some decent income. But the income will likely fluctuate wildly and there are many reasons the income might just dry up and never return. There are many people making their living off the internet, but I have yet to see a single one that is making that money off of only AdSense. The ones who are successful are always finding some way to tie things to a specific product and use AdSense as a secondary income stream. Leva's example of movie reviews is a good one. Rather than using AdSense there, instead put in an Amazon affiliate link to the DVD. You are far more likely to make money that way.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
Leva said:
(As an aside -- one of the worst offenders for badly targeted ads is E-bay. They're banned from my site for this, and from the sites of a lot of other publishers. But they target pretty much every keyword around with very annoying ads that say "New and Used (keyword)." My favorite instance of E-bay ad spam, before I banned them, was "New and Used Buffy!" in response to a post about Sarah Michelle Gellar. The result, in this blog, was ribald commentary from a couple of readers. Now, Google's mediabot periodically checks pages for offensive content and the readers had used what are called "stop words" ... and Google's response to the stop words was to start serving Public Service Announcements rather than ads to the page. E-bay got banned from my site and the discussion got deleted, but last I checked, I still wasn't getting ads on that page.)

Leva

Leva, GREAT info! I snipped a quote from the bit you said above about eBay because it cracked me up so much when I did a Google search on "Quantum Foam" and there was an eBay ad:

Quantum Foam

Whatever you're looking for
you can get it on eBay.
www.eBay.com

...and I had all kinds of funny ideas about what those items would be...turns out it's mostly physics books...but the New and Used Buffy is much, much better!!

Leva

Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I've had LOUSY luck with Amazon. They pay less per actual purchase than some advertisers pay per click.

Leva

Cyjon said:
I poked around several webmaster forums a while back looking into the possibilities for AdSense. If you treat AdSense as a get-rich-quick scheme, it will fail just like every get-rich-quick scheme. If you treat it as a business and put a lot of hard work, you MIGHT get some decent income. But the income will likely fluctuate wildly and there are many reasons the income might just dry up and never return. There are many people making their living off the internet, but I have yet to see a single one that is making that money off of only AdSense. The ones who are successful are always finding some way to tie things to a specific product and use AdSense as a secondary income stream. Leva's example of movie reviews is a good one. Rather than using AdSense there, instead put in an Amazon affiliate link to the DVD. You are far more likely to make money that way.