*sigh* This is why we can't have nice things.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In a cringe-worthy video released this week, a woman is seen accidentally ruining a hefty sum of art at a Simon Birch exhibit at The 14th Factory gallery in LA.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's unfair to entirely blame the woman for that, when 1. those pedestals appear awfully light and top heavy, 2. they're arranged like dominoes in the first place, and 3. the gallery invites the wanton-elbowed public to mill amongst them. In fact, I'd say it's wholly the gallery's fault.

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Here's my take on things after watching this video:

1. Museums need to outlaw the selfie (or picture-taking in general) or make sure art is further removed from crowds.

2. Parents need to WATCH AND CONTROL THEIR CHILDREN.

3. Accidents happen.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
That is as much the gallery's fault as the woman's. It's a stupid way to display valuable artworks.

Putting up a "no clumsy people allowed" sign will not work.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That is as much the gallery's fault as the woman's. It's a stupid way to display valuable artworks.

Putting up a "no clumsy people allowed" sign will not work.
Perhaps a cordon to keep people a teensy bit further away might have been a good idea. In hindsight.

noirdood

Registered
Reaction score
No pitchers, no pitchers...(spoken as a former news photographer).
Think of all the millions/billions of art works that did not get wrecked that day. Somma youse guys are turning into grumps.

M Louise

Registered
Reaction score
This could be me. So clumsy, myopic, and eager to rub shoulders with great art. Aged five I fell into an antique dolls display and my parents pretended they didn't know me. Aaargh.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This could be me. So clumsy, myopic, and eager to rub shoulders with great art. Aged five I fell into an antique dolls display and my parents pretended they didn't know me. Aaargh.

Gotta say, I always feel a whole lot more confident when there's a cordon between me and Art.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Yes people are responsible for what they do, but you can get display pedestals that are topple resistant and there are various systems for bolting them right to the floor. I've set up cheap convention exhibit hall stands that were more elbow proof than that. It's respectful to the product supplier to feel some duty of care and work to avoid foreseeable risks.