PDA

View Full Version : Spiderman: Homecoming (or, maybe there's hope?)

davidjgalloway
07-10-2017, 02:23 AM
Saw it today for the first time. Am trying to think of a superhero film (or frankly, a recent film) that can beat it for humor. Tom H = amazing. Every supporting cast member = hilarious and wonderful. After all those tries, they might have nailed it on this one. The stinger was a masterpiece. Maybe there's hope for the superhero genre after all. I'm no major fan of it, but it's nice when they get everything to work once in a while.

This one's a keeper. Thoughts?

nighttimer
07-10-2017, 03:27 AM
Saw it. Liked it. Didn't love it.

I'm cool with Spidey rocking the Tony Stark label designed super-suit, but that's such a far cry from Stan Lee and Steve Ditko came up lo, those many years ago. I'm cool with a "hot" Aunt May. I'm very cool with Tom Holland as a teenage Spidey (he's 21) and his supporting cast. Michael Keaton makes a good Vulture (even though he never calls himself that), and the humor is pretty funny at times.

I was less cool with the 133 minutes of runtime. I was not cool with some of the fight scenes which were so frenetic and crammed with so much CGI, I couldn't tell what was going on and who was doing what to whom.

I'm cool with this being the best Spider-Man in 13 years (since Spider-Man 2). I'm cool with the Spidey/Avengers cross-pollination.

But I'm totally uncool with this: WHERE IS J. JONAH JAMESON???? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgL8h_u2PHw)

I'm totally uncool with that fact.

Sage
07-10-2017, 08:15 AM
I had high hopes for it (after my knee-jerk "Wait, we're remaking Spiderman again?" reaction) from the trailers, and it did not let me down. Even surprised me in places. It was a perfect excuse to get the Marvel Cinematic Universe combined with high school drama and a teenager's mindset at having cool powers.

I loved Peter, love Ned, loved MJ, and loved Karen. And I thought Toomes was a great villain with an interesting sense of morality. I thought it was intriguing that teenage Spiderman had a more low-key mission. Sure, it's not great for bad guys to get that tech, but it's not exactly aliens coming down through a wormhole to destroy the world. But it felt right for his maturity level as a superhero, even by the end.

angeliz2k
07-10-2017, 04:08 PM
I had a blast seeing this one. It was a lot of fun, and a relatively believable teenage kid. Though I feel that even though he showed some maturity, it was a little premature of Tony to think of naming him an official Avenger when he's only 15. With super-powers, yes, but still only 15.

Sage, I agree. It was refreshing to NOT have the world Hanging in the Balance or Aliens from Wherever, or whatnot. Those kind of stakes aren't stakes at all because 1) it's just too huge for us to care about and 2) we know that the world won't end (what kind of movie would that be?), and with smaller stakes there's a chance that maybe the good guy won't save the day as unequivocally as if he had defeated the Aliens from Wherever.

Also, I just now got the "MJ" thing. *Thud*

Twick
07-10-2017, 06:20 PM
Saw it. Liked it. Didn't love it.

I'm cool with Spidey rocking the Tony Stark label designed super-suit, but that's such a far cry from Stan Lee and Steve Ditko came up lo, those many years ago. I'm cool with a "hot" Aunt May. I'm very cool with Tom Holland as a teenage Spidey (he's 21) and his supporting cast. Michael Keaton makes a good Vulture (even though he never calls himself that), and the humor is pretty funny at times.

I was less cool with the 133 minutes of runtime. I was not cool with some of the fight scenes which were so frenetic and crammed with so much CGI, I couldn't tell what was going on and who was doing what to whom.

I'm cool with this being the best Spider-Man in 13 years (since Spider-Man 2). I'm cool with the Spidey/Avengers cross-pollination.

But I'm totally uncool with this: WHERE IS J. JONAH JAMESON???? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgL8h_u2PHw)

I'm totally uncool with the fact

I suspect that J.J. is going to be in the next one. I can't see 15-year-old Peter Parker coping with Jameson's rather overwhelming personality right now. He's too young, too inexperienced. And until the Staten Island Ferry incident and following Vulture incident, Spider-Man probably wouldn't yet be on Jameson's radar.

Myrealana
07-10-2017, 06:32 PM
I loved it. I'm so glad they skipped the origin story with the spider and Uncle Ben and moved on to a real Spider-Man story.

I also loved the villain. For once, they got a villain who was menacing enough to challenge Spider-Man without having to make him a freak, or world-dominating, city-destroying super villain. His crimes make sense; his motivation is clear; his morality is clear (f'ed up, but clear from his POV.) Really well done.

However, this is the movie that has officially cemented me in the "Old fart" category. When they were fighting and Spidey's life was in real danger, all I could think was "Oh my god! He's just a baby."

davidjgalloway
07-10-2017, 06:40 PM
I loved it. I'm so glad they skipped the origin story with the spider and Uncle Ben and moved on to a real Spider-Man story.

Yup, I think everybody in the world knows that origin story by now :(.

I'd be content if they'd just let Zendaya sit in the corner in every film from now on, making snarky remarks. Totally stole the show.

Twick
07-10-2017, 07:40 PM
When they were fighting and Spidey's life was in real danger, all I could think was "Oh my god! He's just a baby."

If I were the director, this statement would make me think, "I did what I set out to do."

Of course, people need to stay through the end credits. My friend watching it with me was astonished that people still get up to go as soon as the lights come up. "It's a Marvel movie! Don't they know?"

JJ Litke
07-10-2017, 09:00 PM
I'm still trying to work up some enthusiasm for the third reboot and sixth movie (not even counting the older incarnations). It feels like such a money grab by the studio, especially when there are several other characters I'd rather see a movie for.

So I'm still taking a wait-and-see approach. It can't just be good for me to drop more money on one more Spiderman movie, it has to be OMG CAN'T MISS IT level.

Twick
07-10-2017, 10:40 PM
Well, for Sony, Spiderman is basically it. They don't have any significant backup Marvel characters that I know of.

And this is another situation of "use him or lose him." If Sony does nothing with Spiderman, the rights revert to Marvel. By sharing him, they keep at least some control.

I deal with it by just not really considering the Garfield era as real. So to me, this is the second reboot.

robeiae
07-10-2017, 10:43 PM
Funniest superhero movie since Deadpool. Also, the opening scene was just awesome. Best opening scene since...Deadpool. At the same time, it was dripping with suspense. Both my kids--and a good chunk of the people in the theater--audibly gasped at one key moment.

Peter's crowd of high school friends were just great, as well.

Given where this movie is in the Marvel cinematic universe and timeline, I think it's just about perfect.

davidjgalloway
07-10-2017, 11:24 PM
So I'm still taking a wait-and-see approach. It can't just be good for me to drop more money on one more Spiderman movie, it has to be OMG CAN'T MISS IT level.

I think it is. I wouldn't have gone except for the reviews (and even then I've been burned so many times), but we had a group of four and everyone loved it.

Given where this movie is in the Marvel cinematic universe and timeline, I think it's just about perfect. +1

nighttimer
07-11-2017, 04:19 AM
If I were the director, this statement would make me think, "I did what I set out to do."

Of course, people need to stay through the end credits. My friend watching it with me was astonished that people still get up to go as soon as the lights come up. "It's a Marvel movie! Don't they know?"

All I can figure out is either they're rushing home before the babysitter goes into overtime hours or they really have to go to the restroom RIGHT NOW and can't hang out for ten minutes worth of credits before they get to the second or third stinger.

I'm still trying to work up some enthusiasm for the third reboot and sixth movie (not even counting the older incarnations). It feels like such a money grab by the studio, especially when there are several other characters I'd rather see a movie for.

Sure, it's a money grab. What's wrong with that? Do you think we get all these installments of Pirates of the Caribbean, Transformers, and Fast and Furious flicks based upon their artistic merits? No, no, no. It's because audiences grab their wallets, run to the 24-screen multiplex, stampede to the ticket booth screaming "TAKE MY MONEY!!!!"

It's not Logan. It's not Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. It's not Wonder Woman. It's Spidey and it's not bad. ;)

Introversion
07-11-2017, 04:56 AM
All I can figure out is either they're rushing home before the babysitter goes into overtime hours or they really have to go to the restroom RIGHT NOW and can't hang out for ten minutes worth of credits before they get to the second or third stinger.

Or they just don't care. Frankly, I can't usually be bothered to sit through minutes of credits in hopes of a 5- or 10-second pay-off. I'd rather try to beat the rest of the audience to my car so I can leave without waiting in a long line.

If I liked the film enough to want to own it, or stream/rent it to see it again, I can see the little Easter egg and any other extras at that time.

Twick
07-11-2017, 05:56 PM
Well, that's true. Although I think the first stinger in Homecoming is really an essential part of the movie, being the true ending. It choked me up a little, really.

JJ Litke
07-11-2017, 10:26 PM
Sure, it's a money grab. What's wrong with that?

I'm bored with it. Not interested in paying for tickets to see another rehash of this same character. Hell, I paid to see Ant-Man just because it was something different. But I don't think I've even watched all the other Spiderman movies in their entirety--or maybe I have, they all blur together. So, like I said, it has to be something different enough from all the other Spiderman movies for me to go.

Sage
07-11-2017, 10:46 PM
It's actually really different from the other Spider-man movies. That's part of the reason so many people are excited about it.

Maybe the reason people were leaving before the final credit scene is that their chairs were as uncomfortable as mine. It was a stretch to make it to the end, and I'm pretty certain that Marvel rolled those credits more slowly and added all sorts of things in there (like tourism for Georgia and Australia) to make that final joke pay off. Everyone in my theater stayed and I made my dad stay because he was ready to go, but we started commenting on the length of the credits before they got to the punchline.

I once left an Iron Man movie before the credits finished because I had an appointment too. I was sad to find out that I missed something I would have enjoyed, but I had to make that appointment :p

Diana Hignutt
07-12-2017, 09:30 PM
The best part of this movie, was the scene in the car with just Peter, Liz, and um, Liz's dad. Just three people talking in a car. Really powerful stuff. And it's cool to see Taco from Breaking Bad is Matt Gargon. Nice little Easter Egg there.

Opty
07-14-2017, 08:38 AM
The second post-credits scene is one of the best they've done in any Marvel movie to date.

nighttimer
07-15-2017, 05:16 PM
I'm bored with it. Not interested in paying for tickets to see another rehash of this same character. Hell, I paid to see Ant-Man just because it was something different. But I don't think I've even watched all the other Spiderman movies in their entirety--or maybe I have, they all blur together. So, like I said, it has to be something different enough from all the other Spiderman movies for me to go.

Then, I think you'll find this movie is "something different enough" on enough levels to meet your criteria, JJ (J. Jonah?). I understand your skepticism, but this is a LOT better than Ant-Man.

You might even end up agreeing the real villain of Spider-Man: Homecoming isn't Adrian Toomes (http://www.vulture.com/2017/07/spider-man-homecoming-is-iron-man-the-real-villain.html). :e2brows:

CrastersBabies
07-24-2017, 03:24 AM
They had no choice to reboot it, so I don't see the money grab angle given that the Sony Spider-Mans existed in another universe and realm than Avengers Spider-Man. Just like Quicksilver being in both Avengers II and the X-Men films as different characters or Batman from the Dark Knight, Burton's world and BvS are different incarnations.

In order to include Spider-Man in the Avengers/Infinity Wars universe, they had to have their own version here. I've seen all of the Spider-Man films prior. The first one with Tobi MacGuire was groundbreaking for superhero films, but that franchise became bloated and cluttered by the end. I actually enjoyed Andrew Garfield more as Spider-Man. That reset was better quality, imho, than the first.

I view this version another piece in the cohesive Avengers/Infinity Wars overarching story. And, quite frankly, it was a wonderful addition the same way Ant Man was a wonderful addition. The stakes being less world-shattering and universe-ending was exactly what Marvel's ongoing tandem story needed. Keaton is, without a doubt, one of the most fleshed-out and realized villains I've seen. We get his motivations from act 0. And we understand them, even empathize with him.

This Spiderman, though lacking the origin and Uncle Ben story, felt more fleshed out to me. He is a fifteen year old boy. And he makes mistakes. He's allowed to. This is a new Spider-Man, different than any I have seen. And I really enjoyed him.

JimmyB27
07-24-2017, 05:50 PM
Batman vs Spiderman was way better than Batman vs Superman. :greenie

I agree that the lower stakes were a perfect fit for young, inexperienced Spidey. But at the same time, that inexperience made the danger feel more real. Which kind of made the stakes feel higher again - felt like there was actually a chance he might not win. Nice to see a super hero finding his feet rather than being instantly invincible.