Examples of Characters Trapped By Their Surroundings

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonyDavid11

Registered
Reaction score
It can be for an entire book or for certain durations. The ones that come to my mind are Jurassic Park where the scientists are trapped not only on an island filled with dinosaurs, but also during a tropical storm. Talk about raising the tension. I also think of Nothing Lasts Forever by Roderick Thorp where a retired detective is trapped in a skyscraper with terrorists and Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane where a U.S. Marshal is trapped on an island while investigating the disappearance of a woman. Another one that comes to mind is Pale Horse Coming by Stephen Hunter where a former U.S. Marine gets imprisoned in a brutal 1950s prison. It doesn't take up the entire book but he's incarcerated for half of it.

Can you think of other examples where a protagonist or group is trapped for all or most of the book?

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Do you mean trapped by accident, like taken hostage or something went wrong? or trapped on purpose, like every story that takes place in outer space?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Obvious answer? The Martian, by Andy Weir. Astronaut left behind on Mars.

Also Hatchet and Brian's Winter, by Gary Paulsen. Boy stranded in Candian wilderness.

And Lord of the Flies, by William Golding. Children shipwrecked on island revert to savagery.

It might help to know just what you're looking for, and why. Lots of characters get trapped for a time, in innumerable contexts. Going through all of them would take forever.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Several classic short stories come immediately to mind:

"To Build a Fire", Jack London
"The Interlopers", Saki
"The Willows". Algernon Blackwood
"The Open Boat", Stephen Crane

caw

AnthonyDavid11

Registered
Reaction score
Obvious answer? The Martian, by Andy Weir. Astronaut left behind on Mars.

Also Hatchet and Brian's Winter, by Gary Paulsen. Boy stranded in Candian wilderness.

And Lord of the Flies, by William Golding. Children shipwrecked on island revert to savagery.

It might help to know just what you're looking for, and why. Lots of characters get trapped for a time, in innumerable contexts. Going through all of them would take forever.

Lord of the Flies should have been obvious. Thank you very much for your input!

Beanie5

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/
Registered
Reaction score
robinson crusoe, swiss family robinson, life of pi
or differently mindswap ( rsheckley)

Last edited:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
The Wizard of Oz.
Alice in Wonderland.

And for that matter, any time travel story where the character or characters get stuck in a certain time. Some of the novels of Connie Willis come to mind: Doomsday Book, and her duology Blackout and All Clear. Also Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is extremely common in storytelling. The writer creates a crucible from which the characters can't simply walk away. Because if the folks in Jurassic Park could simply get to their cars and drive home, there'd be no story.

A more subtle form of crucible can be found in less action-oriented drama. The characters don't simply walk away from their difficult circumstances because they are tied to them by blood, love, money, strong desires, and so on. In this sense, it could be argued that nearly every story takes place in a crucible of some kind.

The harder thing to do is identify a story with no crucible.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Characters trapped in a harsh environment because of economics, caste, social class, have always fascinated me. Jude the Obscure is an example. Being a stonemason who wants to be a classical scholar isn't quite like being trapped on a bloodthirsty desert island, or at least it doesn't seem like it should be the same, but it turns out that in Victorian England poor Jude is as trapped by his environment as Piggy or Ralph, by theirs.. As dangerously trapped, I should add, and just as heartbreakingly doomed.

As a kid I would lose sleep thinking of ways Tony and Maria could escape their fate in West Side Story. I remember sitting in the Golden Belt Cinema screaming, mentally, "Get a bus, Tony! Buy two bus tickets to Great Bend, Kansas! You have the cash! Get out of that place and don't say goodbye to Riff! He doesn't have your best interests at heart. My Dad will hire you to work on the oil field!" Of course I was only ten at the time, and it took many years for me to realize that a bus ticket out of a place is only the first step--there are also traps in the form of family, education, culture.

Over the years I have become a fan of "stuck" novels-- characters who find themselves mired in an unbearable environment but somehow manage to persevere. Driving away from Perfection and heading to Bixby, would not have made life any easier for Val & Earl, Burt, Heather, Nestor or Walter. Battling the Graboids was their fate. They needed those Graboids! George Bailey came to see that his life in Bedford Falls was, if not wonderful, at least more than bearable.

Sometimes the characters do manage to unstick themselves and move on to another place where they (hopefully) prosper. A Home of Our Own, Tin Ticket, --both of these books are non-fiction-- The Haunting of Hill House, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, The Color Purple, The House on the Strand are some of my favorite "stuck" novels. --s6

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Returning to add that, if you're willing to include true life accounts, there's no shortage of books about people who have been trapped by their surroundings.

First one that springs to mind is Alive, by Piers Paul Read, the story of the rugby team whose plane crashed in the high Andes in the 1970's; they famously resorted to cannibalizing their dead. Wreck of the Whale Ship Essex by Chase Owen (basis of the movie The Heart of the Sea) is the true-life account of the attack that reportedly inspired Moby Dick: an enraged whale smashed the ship, leaving the survivors adrift in leaky boats.

Again, can you clarify just what you're looking for, here? Is this for research, or an assignment, or what? As others have mentioned, there are many ways a character can be trapped by surroundings. In Gordon R. Dickson's The Dragon and the George, a modern man becomes trapped in a dragon's body in a magical variant of medieval Europe, and must complete a quest before being able to return home. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest might qualify, too.

AnthonyDavid11

Registered
Reaction score
Returning to add that, if you're willing to include true life accounts, there's no shortage of books about people who have been trapped by their surroundings.

First one that springs to mind is Alive, by Piers Paul Read, the story of the rugby team whose plane crashed in the high Andes in the 1970's; they famously resorted to cannibalizing their dead. Wreck of the Whale Ship Essex by Chase Owen (basis of the movie The Heart of the Sea) is the true-life account of the attack that reportedly inspired Moby Dick: an enraged whale smashed the ship, leaving the survivors adrift in leaky boats.

Again, can you clarify just what you're looking for, here? Is this for research, or an assignment, or what? As others have mentioned, there are many ways a character can be trapped by surroundings. In Gordon R. Dickson's The Dragon and the George, a modern man becomes trapped in a dragon's body in a magical variant of medieval Europe, and must complete a quest before being able to return home. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest might qualify, too.

Was just focusing on being trapped by physical surroundings. I'm not doing a report or anything. Was just looking for examples. I appreciate your input...

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I'm always up for a lit discussion. Like I have said, the escape or endure theme is my favorite, so I enjoy hearing about other reader's thoughts.

As far as I can remember, a book called The Boys Who Vanished, checked out of the Great Bend Public Library sometime in the early sixties, is the one that hooked me. Actually it was the cover--two boys dressed in leaf tunics, battling an ant! What kid could resist that?

Oddly, I hated the official harsh environment book of my day--Robinson Crusoe. It was too preachy to hold my interest. Now, I can see that Tom Sawyer was constantly trying to escape his environment because it was ruled by humorless authoritarian hypocrites (adults), but as a kid, that insight escaped me. Still, I loved the book despite the struggle with archaic vocab words. I didn't read it as a school assignment but because I found it in my uncle's book shelf one boring summer day. I did way more dictionary work with that book than I ever would have done if the book had been a school assignment. And then I found Andre Norton! --s6

ESGrace

Registered
Reaction score
The Hunger Games (trapped in the arena)
The Black Stallion (shipwrecked on island)
The Maze Runner (stuck in maze)
The Rime of the Ancient Mariner (trapped by the curse of the albatross)

Status
Not open for further replies.