How bad is it if I don't have a web site?

goddessofgliese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katechenli.com
An agent who has had my full for a while just wrote to me and asked me to send author bio with links to my web site or social media. Problem is, I don't have a web site. I have a face book account, but it isn't an author page, and I just set up a twitter account 3 months ago, so needless to say, I have very few followers.

How bad would the lack of a web site or followers look in an agent's eyes? Should I add some explanation like, "I will work harder on my social media following!"

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It seems the expected writerly thing to have so I think the most positive reply would be to just set up a website, then send the link with a short note that it's new so there's not much on it yet. I have a weebly site. It's not hard to do.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Post your Twitter account in this thread; and / or send it to me in PM and I'll add you to the Twitter AWer's list.

You can use about.me to get up a quick and free "business card" site (your name, your interests, and links to your Twitter etc.)

Tell her that you've been focusing on writing rather than social media but that you're perfectly willing to engage with readers.

Get a GoodReads profile up, and list some books you love to read. That's easy and a good start.

ETA: my point is to do something now, today, with a firm plan to have a full website (even a free one on WordPress.com or blogger) later. A cobbled together one for the agent isn't going to make a good impression.

I'd also be a little o_O over an agent who's more interested in your online media presence than your book. The book is the important thing.

Last edited:

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Not being really into social media shouldn't be a big issue. But you are supposed to have a website. In addtion to the ones mentioned, blogger.com and wordpress.com are good free site options.

goddessofgliese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katechenli.com
Last edited:

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I'll second Lisa's recommendation to set up on Goodreads. You can use it as your pro writer's website AND a social media presence whereby your readers can ask you questions and you can answer them. For an example see the one by Lois McMaster Bujold, one of the most popular sci-fi/fantasy writers. Among other benefits, it lists all her published books and shows their ratings, which in Bujold's case are (surprise!) all in the near-five-star range. For comparison with a newly published Goodreads writer such as you would be see my Gr page. Notice that on both sites there are links to your Twitter, Facebook, and so on accounts. There is also a link to any web site you may have.

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/16094.Lois_McMaster_Bujold
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6490844.Laer_Carroll

For a more flexible website you might want to add (not use as a substitute) one based on WordPress or Blogger. I recommend WP for a variety of reasons, which you'll find here: https://en.wordpress.com/features/. It's totally free, though you may want to splurge $18 a year to rent a custom domain such as YourName.com. Try to pick a domain that includes your pen name, as it makes it easier for your readers to find your site. If .com is not available try .net, .org, .info, .me, or other low-cost options.

You can start a decent-looking web site for just a few minutes work, then over time tailor it to a unique brand for all your current and future books. There is an art as well as technique to creating a site. It also takes time to build up readers; it took four years for me to get a mere 212 followers. TAKE BABY STEPS and KEEP IT SIMPLE. Your job is to write stories, not build sites or write blog posts.

If you do blog, I'd suggest you post once a week on average, SHORT posts, on subjects you're passionate about. For those subjects you probably discover some new event, book, movie, TV show, or web article at least that often which you would like to share with your prospective fans. Thus you don't have to struggle to come up with subjects to post about; they pop up in the normal course of your life. Those subjects will likely end up in your books, and will also interest readers who are likely to enjoy your books.

WordPress, and to a lesser extent Blogger, allows your site to be both a blog (which on my site I label News) and a static, or rarely changing, site. In that part you can add info such as backgrounds of one of your books or series, genealogies of main characters, lengthier articles about whatever subjects which don't usually belong in a blog post, a bio, and so on. Remember, that material is something you can build up over time, not in one quick marathon of activity.

Finally, with Fruitbat I suggest you simply set up a web site and give the agent a link to it. But I'd NOT add that it's a new site or apologize for it in any way. The unspoken info you want to pass on is that "Sure, I have a site. Here it is."

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
I'd also be a little o_O over an agent who's more interested in your online media presence than your book. The book is the important thing.

Agreed, but it's not clear to me the agent's more interested in online presence than the manuscript. If I were an agent, I'd want to do due diligence by checking web presences of prospective clients before entering into business with them. The agent might not be looking at numbers of friends/followers so much as making sure that authors comport themselves in ways that won't be difficult to work with or sell.

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
I'll second Lisa's recommendation to set up on Goodreads. You can use it as your pro writer's website AND a social media presence whereby your readers can ask you questions and you can answer them.

Just FYI, though my profile's settings are "public," my GoodReads profile doesn't display quite as nicely as Laer's or Ms. Bujold's. As far as I can tell, the difference is that they're registered Goodreads authors. My understanding is that you can only become a Goodreads author when you have a book coming out (or already out). Good luck with the agent, goddessofgliese!

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Agreed, but it's not clear to me the agent's more interested in online presence than the manuscript. If I were an agent, I'd want to do due diligence by checking web presences of prospective clients before entering into business with them. The agent might not be looking at numbers of friends/followers so much as making sure that authors comport themselves in ways that won't be difficult to work with or sell.

That's what I figured, too. Your public face matters. So everyone should consider taking down their naked keg-stand pics (unless that's in keeping with your themes).

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I seem to be in the minority here, but...

While authors should have a website, I would be very wary of putting one together *just* to tell an agent "Yes, I have a site". It would be okay to tell them that you are in the process of building your online presence but don't have an official site yet.

(To me this is sort of like telling folks you have no publishing credits yet. It's okay to not have any, but you don't want to make a big deal out of it either. For a website you don't want to have one with no content or just a couple slapped together posts and no links to books because nothing is published yet.) Obviously, YMMV.

CEtchison

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cheryletchison.com
I'm with Aggy on this. I didn't have a website, blog, Facebook page, or Goodreads account when I signed with an agent, nor when I sold my book. As a matter of fact, the only social media presence I had at the time was a Twitter account with the handle @inneedofvodka, which I still have btw. I did have a website and all the other in place (including a "professional" Twitter account) six months before my first book released, but I can honestly say no one, not my agent and not my publishing house, ever said "You have to have x, y and z by such and such a date."

Splendor

Registered
Reaction score
I seem to be in the minority here, but...

While authors should have a website, I would be very wary of putting one together *just* to tell an agent "Yes, I have a site". It would be okay to tell them that you are in the process of building your online presence but don't have an official site yet.

(To me this is sort of like telling folks you have no publishing credits yet. It's okay to not have any, but you don't want to make a big deal out of it either. For a website you don't want to have one with no content or just a couple slapped together posts and no links to books because nothing is published yet.) Obviously, YMMV.

I'm with you on this. My children's book will be published in the fall and as of today, I do not have an author's website or FB author's page. I ponder this "issue" every six months or so then I came to this conclusion. I am going to be true to ME and I don't particularly like social media. I see many authors have a profile page on my publisher's website so I gather I'll be included on that. I used to blog and disabled it but my blog was about general things...inspirational topics, vacations etc. I didn't really think that was the type of website I needed to have as a writer. Am I correct? Will an author's website focus solely on books and writing? If so that's not me either. I am inspired by daily simple things like flowers, walks in the park, sunsets etc. and that's what I'd like to write about instead of solely MY book and books in general. Luckily my publisher and editor haven't asked if I have a website. I don't think it matters much to them but they do offer tips on blogging to the author's signed with them if they so choose to do so.

I'm with Aggy on this. I didn't have a website, blog, Facebook page, or Goodreads account when I signed with an agent, nor when I sold my book. As a matter of fact, the only social media presence I had at the time was a Twitter account with the handle @inneedofvodka, which I still have btw. I did have a website and all the other in place (including a "professional" Twitter account) six months before my first book released, but I can honestly say no one, not my agent and not my publishing house, ever said "You have to have x, y and z by such and such a date."

I am thinking of starting something a few months before the book release but what will I write about? My upcoming book or do you think I could convert my old blog and just carry on like normal? Perhaps I'd be able to get works in progress from the illustrator and could post that. What was your approach to this?

It's just another thing we writers have to do added on to an already long list. :Shrug:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Not every writer has to write about writing. And having a web presence isn't a bad idea.

I'd just caution again trying to build one in a couple of days just to show at agent.

CEtchison

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cheryletchison.com
I am thinking of starting something a few months before the book release but what will I write about? My upcoming book or do you think I could convert my old blog and just carry on like normal? Perhaps I'd be able to get works in progress from the illustrator and could post that. What was your approach to this?

Just the basics are fine to start your website. I had two pages in the beginning: the home page and a contact page. Here's a list of things to get you started:
-- When you receive final cover art and back cover copy, put that on your website's front page.
-- Get a Bitly or other link shortener account and create links for your book to every vendor. You will use these a ton. Put those on your website with cover and copy.
-- Tell readers how they can contact you, whether it be a form where they can email you directly or find you on social media (if you social media).
-- Set up a newsletter account. You can get a free Mailchimp until you have 2000 subscribers. It does not mean you have to start sending out newsletters every month, but just have a way to collect readers' email addresses via a form if they so choose to sign up.
-- Claim your author profile at BookBub, Amazon and Goodreads as soon as your able and add those to your site as well.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
"Ain't got none." would be my reply. I thought all that mattered is the manuscript (at least that's the gist of a lot of advice I've seen posted at AW).

caw

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Like bb, I've gotta question the elephant in the room (imagine a single flickering lightbulb, an elephant squeezed into a very uncomfortable chair, "ve vill haf you trumpeting in no time.") Why exactly are we expected to have a web presence all set up before we start querying? Shouldn't we be using our limited hours in the day to, y'know, write? I understand we would be expected to have a website once published commercially. Surely it's better our publisher arranges some nice clean website for us once contracts are signed, rather than us wasting time knocking together some amateur-hour blog to convince an agent we've got self-promoting gumption. I mean, unless that's your thing. If they just want evidence I'm a real internet person, can't I link them to my 5000 posts worth of smartarsery here?

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
For first-time authors, what would they even have on their website? Their book isn't published. That's why they're seeking representation.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
For first-time authors, what would they even have on their website? Their book isn't published. That's why they're seeking representation.
Well, I suppose I could direct my agent to my website about antique fire alarm boxes (the internet's third most trafficked information resource on antique fire alarm boxes!), but I suspect that's not exactly what they're after ...

I ain't got no twitter, or an instagram, or a linkedin, or a blog, or anything. Got a private Facebook, and pseudonyms in a few online forums, that's all. I don't friend my bosses. I don't click Share. And it's not through tragic technological deprivation: I'm a tech-adept millennial. We just don't all spend all day maintaining our online social media brands, y'know? I think Twitter's for spam and beheading videos. Instagram's for narcissists. Facebook's for checking what my aunties are up to. I want to put all 'influencers' in cryogenic suspension and ship them to Pluto.

Most of the world does not live through social media. Even Facebook, which comes the closest, only reaches a quarter of us or so. I do not believe that any agents think that the tiny, tiny number of humans who dwell within the social media pocket universe represent the breadth of storytelling potential there is. This is probably more a stalker thing. They want to make sure you're not a liability, that's all.

That said, If a hypothetical future agent requires me to get on Twitter, then I'll get on Twitter.

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
You want a website for the same reason any other business has web presence: so people can find you, for marketing, and for developing an email list.

Here, here's a site that lists the main reasons why it's a good idea.

And no one said you have to spend large amounts of time constantly developing or updating your site. Even a simple site could help show agents that you're treating your writing like a business.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I had a blog for years before I queried. Based on some of the things my agent said during our first phone conversation, she most likely googled me before we spoke. Depending on the context of the question, it's possible OP's prospective agent is just trying to get a sense of who they are. If that's the case, I don't expect "No, I don't currently have a web presence" is a problematic response.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
You want a website for the same reason any other business has web presence: so people can find you, for marketing, and for developing an email list.
Yes, but shouldn't that be for after you've got a book out? So that there's actually a reason for people to follow you? Unless you're counting people who have writing blogs, but if they're not published, they're throwing out amateur advice. I'm sure there are some who do understand the intricacies of the publishing world/writing a good book without having a book out, but the majority of them lack the experience that they should be dishing out advice. Basically the platform thing. I'm seeing some people give out just flat-out wrong information. And if you are seeking an agent, you would include your contact information in the query.

I'm the same, Albedo. To be honest, I don't even know what Instagram does.

Last edited:

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Yes, but shouldn't that be for after you've got a book out? So that there's actually a reason for people to follow you? Unless you're counting people who have writing blogs, but if they're not published, they're throwing out amateur advice. I'm sure there are some who do understand the intricacies of the publishing world/writing a good book without having a book out, but the majority of them lack the experience that they should be dishing out advice. Basically the platform thing. I'm seeing some people give out just flat-out wrong information. And if you are seeking an agent, you would include your contact information in the query.

I'm the same, Albedo. To be honest, I don't even know what Instagram does.

I know of a few people who built a little following before getting published, so no, you don't have to wait to start building a network. If you're dead set on ignoring potential marketing channels, go ahead. I just don't see any value in putting it off.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I know of a few people who built a little following before getting published, so no, you don't have to wait to start building a network. If you're dead set on ignoring potential marketing channels, go ahead. I just don't see any value in putting it off.
I'm not dead set against it. Please don't put words in my mouth. I am questioning why it's needed BEFORE becoming published, as it doesn't seem to be of much benefit. So many young writers (in their writing journey) are being told they must have a writer's blog, so they go and create it, but they end up putting out a lot of misguided information because of it. If it's just a website, there won't be anything to put on there, since they're still unpublished. I agree networking is important to gather a following prior to a release, but from what I've seen, it's more effective to participate in forums and such and have conversations, and that having the blog/website doesn't do much usually.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Blogging is writiing. It's just not fiction, usually.

What do you blog about? Anything you want. Put up short bits of fiction that you don't intend to publish in a book. Write about something that gets you fired up. Write about some of the cool stuff you discovered when researching your book (especially cool if you write historicals).

I've referenced Rachel Thompson several times before. She suggests that writers choose 3-5 topics that really get under your skin, or make yoru heart race. They don't have to be related to your writing at all. I blog about human trafficking, wrongful convictions and the ensuing cold cases, and official misconduct. I also talk about my life and hobbies: motorcycles and genealogy. I don't blog at all about how to write. There are way more bloggers out there who are way better at that than I am or will ever be.

You also don't have to blog every day, unless you're trying to monetize your blog. Once a week is plenty.

A blog or any kind of social media presence is just another way to connect with readers. Lots of readers will Google a new author, sometimes before they even buy the book. If you build a web presence, that gives you some control over the impression they get of you when they wonder who you are.

ETA: You don't have to be active on every social media platform there is. But you should have a presence on the ones your readers use. If you're doing adult fiction, then an author Page on Facebook along with your website is probably enough. But if you're writing YA and want to connect with your readers, you'd better be learning Snapchat.

And even if you don't use a particular social media platform, you should secure your branding on them so you can control it.

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have any good examples of websites run by those who are at the pre-querying or just starting to query stage? I'd be really interested to see what sort of content they have. I'm at a loss to think of anything I could post that a) would draw an audience, b) I could write authoritatively about, and c) would be remotely relevant to what I want to write fiction about.

If we're talking the writing-as-business analogy, then isn't writing basically a long, drawn out product development cycle that necessarily precedes seeking investment capital? In this metaphor my own writing is at the "working out why it keeps exploding when it's plugged in" stage. Personally I think that's way too soon to be planning a marketing budget, let alone buying Superbowl ad space. I also know that working on a website at this point would just be one more distraction getting in the way of writing. Obviously people will get different mileage: you have to trust I know myself on this one. Maybe I'll have the time when (if) I start to query.

I envy those of you who can be full time bloggers/self-promoters, and find the time to write, and live your real lives. Not all of us can. I really hope we don't become publishing nonpersons because of that.

Last edited: