Philippine Mythology and Culture - Double Posted in Beta subforum

Rachel

Stuff and nonsense.
Registered
Reaction score
:hi:

Hello all! As the title indicates, I have also posted this in another Discussion sub-forum in hopes of finding a reader to help me out. I hope it is okay with the mods and y'all if I post it here too, as I imagine it will have a slightly different audience.

I've written a novel based on Philippine mythology and the "lesser deities" known as the Diwata. In my research, I've come across very little, and largely inconsistent, information about them. Most agree they are pale and beautiful, and concerned with nature (the basic premise of my novel). They like trees, and are known to destroy crops or give bountiful harvests depending on human behavior. Males may live in/near the sea and tend to be mean. Most of this comes from ill-referenced Wikipedia articles.

I hoped it would be okay for me to expand on what little I found to build my fictional world, but I've received comments on culture appropriation and the importance of accurately representing the Philippine culture and the lore. Would anyone here be able to comment on this? Are the Diwata still actively talked about in the Philippines, as Wikipedia indicates? Is there a resource I could access that has more information?

I would also appreciate opinions, if any, on the importance of culture in the novel. The plot takes my MC across the entire globe, and the Diwata are everywhere, so I've been reluctant to add too many Philippines-specific details in fear of it reading like I'm trying to educate rather than entertain.

Thanks so much!

Rachel

Stuff and nonsense.
Registered
Reaction score
Both. I would like a sensitivity reader (hence beta post), but I am also curious about the questions I wrote in the original post:
Are the Diwata still actively talked about in the Philippines, as Wikipedia indicates? Is there a resource I could access that has more information?

DrDoc

Ex everything; trying something new
Registered
Reaction score
4,000 miles from the center of the Earth.
The concept of "Diwata" is pandemic throughout oceanic Asia, not just the Philippines, though each culture has their own names for them. The Eban of Borneo call them, in English, "ghosts" and they are quite real to them. There is an area in Borneo where no person from any of the tribes will go because "it is known" there are ghosts there always. These ghosts do not like to be surprised or imposed upon without the proper 'respectful notice' given that you are about. This can range from knocking a specified number of times on the trunk of a specific tree species to shaking a leafy branch in a specified, circular way, to just announcing your presence and asking for passage.

Because of the near universality of a belief in Diwata-esk beings throughout the area, I often suppose the belief was held by the first human explorers that migrated across the area and as humans settled in specific areas their culture evolved along with these beliefs. If one of these folks was taken to New York, of course there would be Diwata there too!