Alloys and powering a jet pack

rosehips

Mr. Boo is watching you.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.upwork.com
Hi everyone... you're probably starting to recognize my posts now. :) I've been working on learning the difference between various types of aircraft engines in an effort to come up with a realistic progression for my engineer character to follow in his breakthroughs wrt the aircraft he's building. To summarize that: he has the engineering plans for a bomber developed by the enemy that's supposed to be advanced in that it's got a better engine and high octane fuel (also radar and some other bells and whistles). The engineer, let's call him Sam, is going to use these plans to try to develop a fighter that's even faster and more advanced than the bombers (called Eagles, loosely based on Flying Fortresses). I've actually decided that the end result of this won't be a fighter plane at all, but rather a suit with a jetpack. Kind of like Ironman's suit, though probably a lot more retrofuturistic. But before Sam gets there he's going to try to build a fighter and he's going to test it and keep running into problems. As he tries to solve each problem he's going to improve on the Eagle's engine and the structure of the fighter (he's going to call it a Hummingbird) until he has a breakthrough and goes past trying to build a plane at all, but instead creates this suit. My original idea was to have him make a turboprop engine off the Eagle's turbojet engine, but reading more about it, the turboprop engine isn't going to give the kinds of advantages I want, and it makes more sense for the Eagle to have a supercharger and have Sam design a turbocharger, instead.

The main problem with this decision is that one issue I was having anyway is even worse: turbocharged engines weren't widely used in WWII because of how hot they got. It meant that an aircraft with a turbocharged engine had to also carry extensive tubing and an intercooler. Turbine blades would melt on early models.

So if I want my suit to be powered by a jet pack, or turbojet engine of some sort, how am I not going to melt the pilot of the suit?

I mean, it's a dieselpunk fantasy setting, so it doesn't have to be 100% realistic, but I do want it to make sense.

So I thought of possible solutions: 1) my engineer comes up with some sort of special alloy that is ultra heat resistance without being overly heavy. I'm also trying to read up on anodized aluminum but I'm not totally sure I understand the process there. Would anodized aluminum be a good material to use for the suit? Is the aluminum being anodized an alloy, or pure aluminum? Could there be some kind of alloy that could then be anodized to be even better at withstanding high temperatures that would make sense as to what this suit is made of? Like would it make sense to talk about the various metals in the alloy and emphasize the use of one or another of them as a way of dealing with the heat? I know aluminum is actually really good in this regard, as it doesn't conduct heat like some other metals do. Anyway, please give me some advice on this.

2) It occurred to me that if he could remove the need for combustion from the engine entirely, that would solve the problem of burning the pilot. Is there any way to envision a fantasy turbo engine that would not rely on burning fuel?

3) Alternately, is there a realistic way to cool the engine that doesn't require so much space? What would that cooling system look like?

writbeyondmeasure

Registered
Reaction score
Engines require combustion. Maybe google 'Carnot Heat Engine', to get an idea of the processes and therefore how to improve engines. One of the main things targeted when trying to improve engines is to improve efficiency.

Since it doesn't have to be super realistic, you could create some kind of vacuum layer between the outside of the jetpack and the engine so that heat cannot be transferred between the hot engine and the outside of the jetpack.

As for materials, if you're trying to avoid it heating up look for something with a low conductivity. Just from a quick google Titanium and Nickle have low conductivity.

rosehips

Mr. Boo is watching you.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.upwork.com
Engines require combustion. Maybe google 'Carnot Heat Engine', to get an idea of the processes and therefore how to improve engines. One of the main things targeted when trying to improve engines is to improve efficiency.

Since it doesn't have to be super realistic, you could create some kind of vacuum layer between the outside of the jetpack and the engine so that heat cannot be transferred between the hot engine and the outside of the jetpack.

As for materials, if you're trying to avoid it heating up look for something with a low conductivity. Just from a quick google Titanium and Nickle have low conductivity.

Thank you! I've been thinking titanium, and did some research about that. I hadn't looked at nickel yet, so that's great to have that to follow up on. And thank you so much for the vaccuum idea! I may use that. :)

DrDoc

Ex everything; trying something new
Registered
Reaction score
4,000 miles from the center of the Earth.
The evolution of the engine could proceed to a pure, variable speed rocket. Put the rocket inside a thermos rocket holder and your good to go. You could use crystallized hydrogen as the fuel (with air) to reduce the bulk of the fuel container.

Mark HJ

Cat whisperer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
markhuntleyjames.wordpress.com
Aluminium is not going to be much use to you - melting point is somewhere around 630C and it has pretty good thermal conductivity. Anodising is pretty specific to aluminium and is effectively an anti-corrosion treatment which thickens the surface oxide layer. Aluminium itself is quite a reactive metal, but the surface oxide layer provides protection. Anodising also allows you to get coloured finishes because many dyes bind to the oxide - aluminium compounds crop up in basic cloth dying as mordants that help the dyes to bind to the fibres.

How to avoid cooking your pilot - that's a tricky one, and you might want to go googling for jet-packs for real(ish) world hints. Every bit of extra weight you add for cooling means a bigger engine capacity needed to lift it, and faster fuel consumption.
One thing to look at for insulation is aerogel technology. It's a long time since I had any involvement in that sort of tech, but these are ultra-low density foam materials (possibly first developed by NASA) that have very low thermal conductivities and are almost literally light as air.

Turbine blade design, from what I remember, is complex - not just the materials, but the shape of the blades contribute to their reliability, and I seem to recall there being tricks with surface coatings and designing the air-flows that allow them to function without melting. Provided your character has the resources, one simple and dirty solution is to have replaceable 'modules' so you swap out the turbine core as the blades start to fail - or ideally, a bit before they start to fail. My limited understanding is that if one blade goes, the debris trashes the rest.

Happy flying. :hooray:

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
Op, from your description it sounds like you may have some confusion over turboprop engines and turbochargers.

The early WWII vintage bombers (e.g. Flying Fortress) used piston engines, using an exhaust driven centrifugal turbocharger to boost the intake pressure to compensate for the loss at altitude. Turbocharged piston engines are still used in some smaller modern general aviation applications.

A turboprop engine is a different animal. It is a jet engine which has a propeller geared to its burner stages. A turboprop is lighter than a piston engine for the same power output, but generally uses more fuel and is fairly inefficient at low altitudes compared to a piston engine. Your strap-on turboprop jet pack would actually more resemble a small strap on turbine helicopter (those have been experimented with.)

With regards to materials, they did not present a barrier to the manufacture of exhaust driven turbochargers, which were quite commonly used in the big radial pistons in WWII bombers and transport aircraft. They were however somewhat limiting in the production of jet engines. The earliest jet engines (such as the Whittle) had centrifugal compressor stages (flings air outwards against the compressor housing in the same manner as a turbocharger) but that design was limiting in power. Modern jet engines have axial flow compressor stages, which are just fans stacked up behind each other. That design required refinements in metallurgy, for both the compressor and hot stages to handle the additional heat. There is a famous documentary of the development of the MIG 15, where Soviet engineers toured the Rolls Royce factory producing the Derwent engine, and even went to the length of wearing soft rubber sole shoes to collect metal shavings on the floor. Ultimately, they bought a few, reverse engineered them, and produced their own versions.

Your scenario for a 'fuel less' engine is of course not going to work. The closest you can get is an electric device, but that would necessarily be some form of motor driven helicopter pack. Those do exist, mostly as adaptations of quad-copter drone technology.