Pointing out a website error/potential obstacle for querying... in a query letter

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
I recently came across an agency's submission page which suggests writers should use an "industry standard query letter", then added '(to the right)', as if there was an example or form included on the right side of the page. All there was to the right of this text was "No fields found". Now, the page also said "Should you prefer, you can send submission to~" and then an email, so I assume there was some form I could have filled out.

Otherwise, this agency seems fine. They certainly have some reputable people on their team. Buuuuut if the prefer people fill out a form, then that form should probably work.
I haven't submitted to them yet, and I'm wondering if it would be unwise/distract from the query if I said: "I noticed the 'no field found' part of your submissions page, and I wouldn't have a problem with submitting via form or whatever the agency's preference is. Just wished to mention that."

Or something. Thoughts?
Also, didn't want to mention the agency by name, in case that was in poor taste.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The example I agree sounds missing but I'm not sure why you think there would be a form if there was an email there with the 'you can send submission to...'

There are a bunch of agencies that have options to query either a specific agent or the agency in general, or to send to a querytracker address as opposed to the specific addresses, or whatever. I'd check the email isn't just a query box.

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
When the website mentions their own email, they basically say "If you'd rather email us here, you may", as if there was an alternative. I just assumed the missing part of the page was that alternative.
Also, I've never heard the term query box before :x Not sure what that means, except maybe a place slush queries are allowed to pile up and die haha.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't submitted to them yet, and I'm wondering if it would be unwise/distract from the query if I said: "I noticed the 'no field found' part of your submissions page, and I wouldn't have a problem with submitting via form or whatever the agency's preference is. Just wished to mention that."

Or something. Thoughts?
I wouldn't. If you really really want to bring it to their attention, perhaps do it before you sub - only because your sub should grab and focus their attention on your ms. Not on their website fails.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If you notify them of his, do it by a separate email. Whatever the issue is it may be with your computer or browser.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Some agencies have a general email for questions that don't relate to a query/submission. You might send a message there (if you can find it) and just ask if there is a form or not. Or if there is a contact for the webmaster you could try them. (Not every agency has a dedicated web person, though.)

However, if they say you can send via email, it is okay to do so. Agencies are not particularly shy about saying "don't do this" if they don't want emails. Some have forms because some of the webmail services tend to get bounced into spam even with a proper subject line and then someone has to dig them back out.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
If you notify them of his, do it by a separate email. Whatever the issue is it may be with your computer or browser.

This. Try opening their website using a different browser. I've had a couple of sites give me fits with Firefox, so I'll switch to Chrome to see if it's really their site or just me.

In either case, I would definitely not add it to the query.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
When the website mentions their own email, they basically say "If you'd rather email us here, you may", as if there was an alternative. I just assumed the missing part of the page was that alternative.
Also, I've never heard the term query box before :x Not sure what that means, except maybe a place slush queries are allowed to pile up and die haha.

Heh, some agencies use a general email for all submissions and you can tag your query with an agent's name or not; some say 'if you don't have a particular agent you wish to query, use the general,' some have a querytracker option because some people like the way they get the feedback from the qt site. People go through them.