Using the magical pregnancy trope in a setting

nyalathotep

Registered
Reaction score
I located a website called tvtropes that talks about certain tropes and how they are used. One of these topics specifically talks about magical pregnancy and it's examples in media. They seem to turn the woman in question into a passive object during the process. They are acted upon by a supernatural force of nature, usually against their will, and ends up coming off as creepy. This has mostly killed the trope as a concept. I think it is more a question of agency and could actually work if done in a right way, so I wanted to introduce it into this setting by adding a twist to it.

In this world, magic is gender specific to females, who access it through a metaphysical organ that pulls energies from an alternate dimension. All women are born with this, and can be accessed by concentrating. Magic is a powerful force in the world, but normaly slow and complex. Procreation is more of a ritualized spell, requiring both male and female to take part.

In this case, pregnancy would be viewed as a longer, simpler type of spell, taking the course of months. It would be an active process, in which magical energies would be used to grow the fetus. Gestation would be easy on the body, with none of the negative drawbacks being associated with it (morning sickness, cramps, etc). Birth would also be painless. The only drawback would be that the individual would be cut off from other forms of magic during the process. I got the idea from a game of thrones episode in which a priestess used magic to concieve a "child"with a king. Would this be a good way of handling the concept? Is this more of a world building question than a writing one, or does it depend on how it is written?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
As they say, ideas are cheap. It's execution that makes or breaks a story.

In other words, give it a try in a story and see if you can make it work. IMHO, it feels more like an element of worldbuilding than the spine of a story - unless the story is about, say, something going wrong with this process that requires your characters to investigate (dark magic interference from enemies? A supernatural "disease" leading to magic sterilization?). Even then, it would depend greatly on your plot structure and characters, plus finding the right audience.

nyalathotep

Registered
Reaction score
This is meant to be a matriarchal setting, and magic is a big cornerstone of civilization. This was just a way of making magic more "natural" in the background.

xanaphia

Registered
Reaction score
The fact that you are aware of the trope, and are looking for ways to avoid the common pitfalls from it is a good sign. Personally, I find the idea of a woman being an active participant in her own "magical pregnancy" to be intriguing, and a subversion of the trope. Best of luck!

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I love a good subversion of a trope. I'm reading THE OBELISK GATE right now (book 2 of THE FIFTH SEASON) and it does a really good job of making motherhood (and the power, skill, and badassery that occurs when a woman learns to be a mother) part of its magical worldbuilding.

In this case, pregnancy would be viewed as a longer, simpler type of spell, taking the course of months. It would be an active process, in which magical energies would be used to grow the fetus. Gestation would be easy on the body, with none of the negative drawbacks being associated with it (morning sickness, cramps, etc). Birth would also be painless. The only drawback would be that the individual would be cut off from other forms of magic during the process. I got the idea from a game of thrones episode in which a priestess used magic to concieve a "child"with a king. Would this be a good way of handling the concept? Is this more of a world building question than a writing one, or does it depend on how it is written?

Not a mother, so please discount my opinion against the badass mums on the board, but I'm a little leery of this? Taking out all the hard parts of pregnancy feels like it's overlooking what a monumental act it is: it's creating life, and in any worldbuilding situation creation of matter should take hard work and effort.

Also, pregnancy cutting the user off from magic feels unusual considering that creating life is such a primal, feminine thing. If magic in your world is natural and inherently for people with ovaries, why would it disappear during a process that is unique to them?

But as with all things, this depends on execution. I'm totally fine with easy-peasy-pregnancies (what a dream!) if it fits the world. It sounds nice and utopian.

tinyCirrusCloud

I'm not crazy, I promise.
Registered
Reaction score
As others have said, it all depends on execution and other aspects of the world building. I think it should be fine, since the women are taking an active part in the pregnancy and have a say in whether or not it happens.

nyalathotep

Registered
Reaction score
I love a good subversion of a trope. I'm reading THE OBELISK GATE right now (book 2 of THE FIFTH SEASON) and it does a really good job of making motherhood (and the power, skill, and badassery that occurs when a woman learns to be a mother) part of its magical worldbuilding.

Not a mother, so please discount my opinion against the badass mums on the board, but I'm a little leery of this? Taking out all the hard parts of pregnancy feels like it's overlooking what a monumental act it is: it's creating life, and in any worldbuilding situation creation of matter should take hard work and effort.

Also, pregnancy cutting the user off from magic feels unusual considering that creating life is such a primal, feminine thing. If magic in your world is natural and inherently for people with ovaries, why would it disappear during a process that is unique to them?

But as with all things, this depends on execution. I'm totally fine with easy-peasy-pregnancies (what a dream!) if it fits the world. It sounds nice and utopian.
The way I figured it, while magic is powerful, it can be dangerous if used recklessly. Using other forms of magic during the process could over-saturate the fetus, leading to negative consequences (deformities, miscarriages, etc).

xanaphia

Registered
Reaction score
Speaking as someone who had a difficult pregnancy, I don't know that those parts are all the interesting to read or write. I suffered severe nausea with mine, leaving me unable to eat anything solid for days on end. I spent a lot of time in bed.

yumpty-tum

Registered
Reaction score
My wife had a heck of a difficult pregnancy. She had a bleed at 10 weeks, HG, and finally severe pre-eclampsia at 28 weeks which nearly developed into full-blown HELLP and required an emergency c-section. She'd have given anything for a magical, pain free, symptom free pregnancy...

As far as your idea is concerned, I'm quite intrigued. You'd have to have built yourself a very rigid and cohesive magic system first though.