• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

[Edited thread title] Looking for a Beta in My Very First Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paula Davids

Banned
Reaction score
Hi, I’m looking to hook up with beta-readers to do manuscript critique of my short story series, Shakira: Star-Crossed Huntress. Realistically set in Cape Town, South Africa, these gritty, urban, femcool-vigilante super-heroine, crime fantasies are sexually explicit (though significantly more substantial than the usual sex-fluff). I will repay you by doing critique of your titles (matching word counts). Take a look at my FB page to see whether you think you can work with me. Then PM me.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I’m looking to hook up with beta-readers to do manuscript critique of my short story series, Shakira: Star-Crossed Huntress. Realistically set in Cape Town, South Africa, these gritty, urban, femcool-vigilante super-heroine, crime fantasies are sexually explicit (though significantly more substantial than the usual sex-fluff). I will repay you by doing critique of your titles (matching word counts). Take a look at my FB page to see whether you think you can work with me. Then PM me.

Hi Paula, and welcome to AW.

It's best not to hijack someone else's thread to ask for beta readers of your own. In fact, it's best to start off by heading over to the New Members subforum and starting your own thread to introduce yourself. You'll get a proper welcome and a bunch of links to help you navigate the site.

It's even better if you hang around and engage in active forum threads that interest you (try not to resurrect old threads). Once you have 50+ substantive posts, you can start a thread of your own in the Share Your Work section (password: vista) and post an excerpt for crit there. If critters express an interest in reading more, that's the most opportune time to ask for beta readers. Otherwise, you just look like another newb with their hand out, looking for favors from a bunch of complete strangers.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ooo, not cool.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Paula Davids

Piggybacking on a thread where another member is looking for a beta is, at best, confusing.

I'm sure you're excited about your book. But sending unsolicited PMs to strangers asking them to beta means I have members complaining that you're PM spamming.

This makes me cranky.

You want a beta reader? Read this post: When Your Really Really Want a Beta Reader

Introduce yourself, as the PM you received upon joining, suggests, in the New Members area.

Post some crits in response to post in Share Your Work.

Let members get to know you before asking for a pretty serious commitment on your part, and offer to beta in return.

Status
Not open for further replies.