So this rabbit is giving me hell

Mondo

New and suspicious
Registered
Reaction score
I live in the country on some acreage; my driveway is two hundred yards long. Nobody within a half-mile from me, not many people within three miles, in fact.

My trash can is outside the gate to my driveway. I like to walk down in the evening about sundown with the trash.

My property is posted and fenced, so I get a lot of wildlife.

Anyway, Saturday dusk I'm carrying a couple bags of trash down to the gate, and near the gate is a pretty good-sized rabbit. Not a jack rabbit, but a big cottontail.

I keep walking.

It stares at me.

I keep walking.

It stares at me.

I keep walking.

It stares at me.

I keep walking.

It stares at me.

I get within five or six feet of it. Now keep in mind I am wearing flip-flops, carrying two sacks of trash, and am a fairly large man. I'm close enough to it I figure I could dive and catch it. Finally it turns and casually hops out of my driveway.

Sunday I'm carrying out more trash. Guess who is in the same spot, staring me down: yes, this same bastard rabbit.

It's eerie. Once again I get within six feet before it leisurely hops off.

Monday morning I'm rolling out in my Ford F150 quad cab.

The rabbit is waiting for me .

It doesn't move.

I have to hit my horn several times until it leisurely hops away.

Tuesday: same thing.

This morning: ditto. I'm standing in the open doorway of my truck seriously considering popping this fuzzy bastard in the head if it doesn't move toot-sweet.

Its got it in for me. The bastard has an attitude.

I haven't shot a rabbit since the 1960s. I quit hunting in the 70s. I shoot varmints and the occasional coyote, but nobody that should owe him money.

This is not going to end well.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I live in the country on some acreage; my driveway is two hundred yards long. Nobody within a half-mile from me, not many people within three miles, in fact.

My trash can is outside the gate to my driveway. I like to walk down in the evening about sundown with the trash.

My property is posted and fenced, so I get a lot of wildlife.

Anyway, Saturday dusk I'm carrying a couple bags of trash down to the gate, and near the gate is a pretty good-sized rabbit. Not a jack rabbit, but a big cottontail.

I keep walking.

It stares at me.

I keep walking.

It stares at me.

I keep walking.

It stares at me.

I keep walking.

It stares at me.

I get within five or six feet of it. Now keep in mind I am wearing flip-flops, carrying two sacks of trash, and am a fairly large man. I'm close enough to it I figure I could dive and catch it. Finally it turns and casually hops out of my driveway.

Sunday I'm carrying out more trash. Guess who is in the same spot, staring me down: yes, this same bastard rabbit.

It's eerie. Once again I get within six feet before it leisurely hops off.

Monday morning I'm rolling out in my Ford F150 quad cab.

The rabbit is waiting for me .

It doesn't move.

I have to hit my horn several times until it leisurely hops away.

Tuesday: same thing.

This morning: ditto. I'm standing in the open doorway of my truck seriously considering popping this fuzzy bastard in the head if it doesn't move toot-sweet.

Its got it in for me. The bastard has an attitude.

I haven't shot a rabbit since the 1960s. I quit hunting in the 70s. I shoot varmints and the occasional coyote, but nobody that should owe him money.

Is this a joke?

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

acbae8aba6d16008451f437a21e6faca.jpg

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I think it's funny.

But then I also live in the country and, yeah, one develops relationships with the critters. It can get weird. I appreciate the weirdness.

Let us know how it goes, Mondo.

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I feel the same murderous way about mosquitoes. Want to trade?

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
I once had a rabbit, and the strangest thing he did was chase me. Oh, and drink whisky.

Jeff Bond

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeffbondbooks.com
I think your rabbit has distant cousins out here in Michigan ... I walk out every morning with my 120-lb. Newfoundland--early, 6:30 AM--and the two rabbits eating our garden just keep on keepin' on. Don't even blink.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I once had a rabbit, and the strangest thing he did was chase me. Oh, and drink whisky.

I once knew a rabbit that ate bacon. And his owner swore she had to limit how much he was allowed to have, because the bacon made him mean.

I wonder if it just gave him heartburn. Herbivores do occasionally eat meat, even in the wild, but I doubt it plays nice with their plumbing.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Ahh, now, I've read that cats are not really cats. They're alien shapeshifters sent to spy on us. So this might be a different sort of alien.

Hoplite

Return of the Coffee Shield
Registered
Reaction score
Is this a joke?

I'm in the camp of "yeah, it's kinda funny." Albeit because it sounds like an overreaction to a bunny that isn't fearful of humans.

Reminds me of story my old boss would like to tell about his cousin:

"My cousin loved his .44 magnum. He would sit at his dining table everyday, take it apart, and clean it out. One day he saw across the room there was a mouse that came out of its little hole. Now I don't know what was going through my cousin's head, but he looked at the mouse, looked at his gun, looked at the mouse, looked at his gun, and decided the logical course of action was to try to shoot the mouse from across the room with his .44. Well, he ended up with 6 big holes in his wall, and the mouse got away."

Mondo

New and suspicious
Registered
Reaction score
He did it again today. I tried to get a picture of him with my phone, but its just a blur. It seemed to annoy him. I'm wondering if he's in witness protection.

Hoplite

Return of the Coffee Shield
Registered
Reaction score
We got my in-laws a game camera for Christmas after they moved out into a more rural area in WA. It's mostly been neighborhood cats, but deer and rabbits are frequent visitors.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
There used to be a family of rabbits living in the neighbor's yard, but they had some landscaping work done, and the bunnies may have been casualties.

My German Shepherd used to chase the bunnies all the time, until she CAUGHT one. It screamed like a person, scared the dog who promptly dropped it and ran to hide behind me. Ever since then, the dog has still chased, but has never made a serious effort to catch. If she actually corners one, she'll back off enough to let it run again - just like when she's playing with the cat.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just drive on. Hawks have to eat, too.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
It might be a Terminator. Is your name John Connor?

Mondo

New and suspicious
Registered
Reaction score
:Hugemongous Picture of innocent bunny taken through auto windshield removed.:

There he is.

Standoff again this morning.

Look at the insolent beast.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That rabbit's a bad ass. I'd salute and pass with respect.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Clearly, it is little bunny foo-foo, giving you a chance to be good.

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Rabbitses have to learn to be afraid. Our yard bunny didn't learn the meaning of fear until the kids and I had pack-chased it a few times; now it high-tails it the minute the door slams.