Ideas on naming a group of people, thanks.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I started a thread question on what to call people that were not ancient enough to be ancestors and not directly related to my protagonist making the term 'relatives' not work either.

As I wrote out the question, it came to me that if my group gave themselves a name, I wouldn't need to worry about ancestors vs relatives.

The scenario, a group of people arrive on the planet 50 years after the initial settlers. Initial settlers call themselves the Founders. The Founders have named the newer arrivals, tressers, for trespassers. Tressers in turn called their escaped brethren, runners, a term the Founders also adopted.

My protagonist only learns about the names tressers and runners when she arrives in the Founder city. She's descended from runners but that term is new to her. Her group did know about the Founders, they fled from them decades ago.

There is a need for my protagonist to have a group identity. Ethnic groups on Earth do not apply. Both the Founders and the newer arrivals are an ethnic mix. I have purposefully avoided ethnic stereotypes as the baggage wouldn't fit the story. The same is true for national identities, I want to avoid all the assumptions that would go with ethnic or national identities. The story works best with a clean slate.

Consider your group would have given themselves a name long before arriving. They knew about the Founders before leaving Earth.

What would you name yourselves as a group that set out to further colonize a new planet given the name, Founders, was already taken?

Some ideas, I'd like opinions on them as well as I'm interested in new ideas.

Second Wavers
Homesteaders
Pioneers
New Wavers

Thanks in advance.

Mondo

New and suspicious
Registered
Reaction score
What about political/social outlooks?

People, especially follow-on colonists, might not want to identify themselves as late to the dance.

What if a group coming over was similar to the Wobblies, seeking freedom from an economic system that trod upon the rights of the workers? Might they not call themselves the New World Worker's Union, better known as the bowlers for their leadership's style of headgear?

What about a despotic regime dumping its undesirables into the colonies, ala the Brits and Down Under, or Castro in the 70s? This criminal sub-culture could be based upon the criminal organizations that grew out of the Soviet gulags, with their own cant, body art, and value system.

I get the need for dumping national and ethnic backgrounds, but people are social creatures, and they will band together with like-minded sorts. You could have groups similar to the radical Mormons, radical Green groups, etc.

People will not march into the unknown as a mass of faceless individuals. They will form into groups built upon shared experience/values. Colonists, as history shows, tend to be the dregs, the dissatisfied, the unwelcome.

Ask why they left, or why they were forced to leave and that will give you your names.

That's my two cents. Spend it as you will. ;)

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oow, I like that direction.

Some of that doesn't fit the story, but looking at a name related to why they left might.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder about the term "Founders". I know it's been a while, but back in the 90s, the Star Trek series Deep Space Nine featured a long-running set of stories about the "Founders", who were ultra-powerful and generally evil shape-shifters having a portal for intragalactic transport. So, for some people, that name carries a little baggage.

caw

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder about the term "Founders". I know it's been a while, but back in the 90s, the Star Trek series Deep Space Nine featured a long-running set of stories about the "Founders", who were ultra-powerful and generally evil shape-shifters having a portal for intragalactic transport. So, for some people, that name carries a little baggage.

caw
Hmmm, hope not. They're just people in my novel, they were first to colonize the planet. Colonists and settlers didn't have the entitlement that these people believe they have. I thought Founders better implied the entitlement.

rosehips

Mr. Boo is watching you.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.upwork.com
In terms of the Founders, how about the Architects? Or the Builders? Gives the sense that they made everything.

In terms of the new group, I'm sorry if it's just me, but I'm not sure I understand who they are. Are the the Tressers, but the Tressers don't call themselves Tressers, so this name you need is what they call themselves?

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How about The Originals? First Arrivals? Startups? You could make up almost anything I guess...

Jeff

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In terms of the Founders, how about the Architects? Or the Builders? Gives the sense that they made everything.

In terms of the new group, I'm sorry if it's just me, but I'm not sure I understand who they are. Are the the Tressers, but the Tressers don't call themselves Tressers, so this name you need is what they call themselves?

Think of tressers as illegal immigrants. The name is derogatory used by the Founders. It's not the name they would use for themselves.

I do like considering other names like Architects. I'll look at that angle.

writeonleanne

señora vaca
Registered
Reaction score
What about something similar to the forty-niners? Referring to the year they arrived to the planet. e.g. Sixers, Fivers, etc.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I think you have to go back to why people are where they are - were the second group sent as a planned 'expansion kit', as it were, thinking of themselves as a wanted part of the plan, while the first group are thinking they're doing fine and these are interlopers? Were the second group sent to remove the first from power, or to fix deficiencies in the first group? Were the second group just unwanted on the home planet , and essentially dumped on the first group, perhaps with little warning. ( 'You guys set up the prison, and we'll sent the prisoners' vs 'Don't mind us using your extra space as a gulag'.) Heck, maybe the second group are well-off, seeking an easy life, while the first group did all the heavy work of setting up, and now they're being lorded over by these 'Tressers'.
What is the reason for the animosity? That'll give you the reason behind the name.
This will also help with the 'Runners' - who kept them from running, and who helped them?

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
When Stephen F Austin was handing out land grants to colonize Texas, the first batch of 297 grantees were known as the Old Three Hundred.

When Oklahoma was opened up, the people who went in to claim land ahead of schedule, before the Land Rush's official designated opening period, were called the Sooners.

There are also things like the Order of the First Families of Virginia, the Holland Society of New York, or the Mayflower Society, for people who can trace their lineage to colonial Virginia, Netherland-occupied New York/New Amsterdam, or to people who had come over on the Mayflower. So it wouldn't be hard to imagine a group of people coming up with their group name based on a common thread that unites them-- a national origin, a new area they've settled, a particular vehicle/transport that took them there.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Without revealing too much, (until I'm published anyway, ;)), the second group emigrated on their own a half century after the first group. There is no bigger galactic scheme, government or purpose beyond that.

Both groups are ethnically diverse and include individuals that come from different countries on Earth.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When Stephen F Austin was handing out land grants to colonize Texas, the first batch of 297 grantees were known as the Old Three Hundred.

When Oklahoma was opened up, the people who went in to claim land ahead of schedule, before the Land Rush's official designated opening period, were called the Sooners.

There are also things like the Order of the First Families of Virginia, the Holland Society of New York, or the Mayflower Society, for people who can trace their lineage to colonial Virginia, Netherland-occupied New York/New Amsterdam, or to people who had come over on the Mayflower. So it wouldn't be hard to imagine a group of people coming up with their group name based on a common thread that unites them-- a national origin, a new area they've settled, a particular vehicle/transport that took them there.

I like these ideas. The group could have been part of an organization back on Earth as they gathered together, that makes good sense and does fit with the story.

Beanie5

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/
Registered
Reaction score
The seconds, The recuers, the backers, the backups, the helpers, the fortifiers, The saviours,

the helpers, the assistants, The Beatas , ( the) settlers

quite a few depends what flavour?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
The seconds, The recuers, the backers, the backups, the helpers, the fortifiers, The saviours,

the helpers, the assistants, The Betas , ( the) settlers

quite a few depends what flavour?

Yes. The Seconds, and the Backups, in particular, have a rather dismissive tone to them. But lots of choices are good, in that the name they use themselves may be different from what they're called by the others.

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
How about something like the 2nd gen or 2gens? Or is there a religious aspect that you could use? Christian settlers call themselves Christians, could you give them a God that brought them there?

rosehips

Mr. Boo is watching you.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.upwork.com
Without revealing too much, (until I'm published anyway, ;)), the second group emigrated on their own a half century after the first group. There is no bigger galactic scheme, government or purpose beyond that.

Both groups are ethnically diverse and include individuals that come from different countries on Earth.

But why did they emigrate? What was driving that move?

I've considered moving abroad as a teacher and I can tell you that seriously considering moving to another country is pretty terrifying. Much easier just to stay where I am. I can't imagine how hard it would be to move to another planet. Something would seriously have to be driving that move. I think the answer to your conumdrum is in that motivation.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But why did they emigrate? What was driving that move?

I've considered moving abroad as a teacher and I can tell you that seriously considering moving to another country is pretty terrifying. Much easier just to stay where I am. I can't imagine how hard it would be to move to another planet. Something would seriously have to be driving that move. I think the answer to your conumdrum is in that motivation.

I'll have to think about that. I'm not quite seeing how the reason for emigrating would impact the name they might give themselves.

rosehips

Mr. Boo is watching you.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.upwork.com
I'll have to think about that. I'm not quite seeing how the reason for emigrating would impact the name they might give themselves.

Well, as others have said, if they left where they were due to religious oppression, for instance, they could call themselves something to do with their religion. Or if they were farmers in the previous world but due to some ecological disaster they sought out greener pastures, again, the farming thing could be the core of the name.

The thing is, you've described them emigrating as a group, so they must have some common reason for doing so.

Unless it was new technology that allowed them to all emigrate at that time. But then, what changed from when the founders emigrated?

What do they all have in common?

- - - Updated - - -

And why do the founders hate them so much?

Referring to them as trespassers is pretty hateful.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, as others have said, if they left where they were due to religious oppression, for instance, they could call themselves something to do with their religion. Or if they were farmers in the previous world but due to some ecological disaster they sought out greener pastures, again, the farming thing could be the core of the name.

The thing is, you've described them emigrating as a group, so they must have some common reason for doing so.

Unless it was new technology that allowed them to all emigrate at that time. But then, what changed from when the founders emigrated?

What do they all have in common?

- - - Updated - - -

And why do the founders hate them so much?

Referring to them as trespassers is pretty hateful.

You'll have to wait for the book to come out. :tongue

Beanie5

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/
Registered
Reaction score
Don't think anyone mentioned Pioneers yet?

you can tag this with things like the new world pioneers
or the pioneers of ... so you get a twofor

religous possibilties the exodites ( fleeing some evil president perhaps (( couldn't resist))

or the apocolypts (bailing on global warming)

Tabitha Rose

Registered
Reaction score
If they were a bit self-aggrandizing, and imply that they were needed to keep the colony going, they might have chosen something like "The Cavalry", or "The Reinforcements".

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If they were a bit self-aggrandizing, and imply that they were needed to keep the colony going, they might have chosen something like "The Cavalry", or "The Reinforcements".

That might require tweaking the story a sliver, but it's an interesting idea.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
That might require tweaking the story a sliver, but it's an interesting idea.
And, if they think of themselves as the 'Cavalry', arriving to save the day, but the first wave thinks of them as 'Trespassers', turning up after all the hard work was done, well, that could say a lot about what's going on.