PDA

View Full Version : Best New Fairy Tale Competition

BriMeetsBooks
06-22-2017, 11:59 PM
Hello! I am so excited to share Fairytalez.com's first writing contest!

We’re celebrating the launch our self-publishing platform with our first competition, Best New Fairy Tale. The competition runs from the 13th of June till the 15th of August, and writers from all over are invited to submit their original stories to Fairytalez.com’s library of new stories.
Prizes
The winner will receive:

Active promotion across all of Fairytalez’s social networks
A digital winner badge published with your story and on your profile page
A digital winner badge for your blog or website
A $300 gift certificate to Amazon.com

The four finalists will receive:

Active promotion across all of Fairytalez’s social networks
A digital runner-up badge published with your story and on your profile page
A digital runner-up badge for your blog or website

The contest is free to enter. You'll find all of the details here at our blog post (https://fairytalez.com/competitions/best-new-fairy-tale-2017/). If you have any questions, you can post here or email bri @ fairytalez.com.

RaiscaraAvalon
06-23-2017, 12:54 AM
Sounds interesting. Not sure I like the needing to have 10 FB likes though.

Unimportant
06-23-2017, 01:23 AM
Just flagging that by entering the contest, you are self-publishing the story through their site and it is available free-to-read to the public. So if your story isn't a winner, you can't sell the story elsewhere. (Or at least that is my reading of the contest; hopefully the OP will come back and correct me if I've got it wrong.)

RaiscaraAvalon
06-23-2017, 01:25 AM
That was my take on it too.

BriMeetsBooks
06-23-2017, 11:09 PM
I'll give your feedback on the likes to the creators, thank you! I will also check with the creators about the question on entering your story/publishing it elsewhere.

BriMeetsBooks
07-03-2017, 06:38 PM
Just flagging that by entering the contest, you are self-publishing the story through their site and it is available free-to-read to the public. So if your story isn't a winner, you can't sell the story elsewhere. (Or at least that is my reading of the contest; hopefully the OP will come back and correct me if I've got it wrong.)

No, you're absolutely allowed to publish or it sell it elsewhere. We can edit our terms and conditions to make that clearer, if needed.

mrsmig
07-03-2017, 07:07 PM
I don't think the concern was that your site wouldn't allow the story to be published elsewhere, but that the non-winning authors would be using up their first publication rights without compensation and might find it difficult to sell the story elsewhere, since it's already available on the web for free.

Essentially, writers' work is being used as a way to drive traffic to the site, with the "carrot" of possibly winning the only benefit to the writer. And please don't say the site will give the writers "exposure;" writers and artists of all kinds are constantly asked to work for free for "exposure," and it's a crock. You can't eat or pay the rent with "exposure."

Anna Iguana
07-03-2017, 07:14 PM
My guess is that Unimportant meant most publishers don't buy previously published works. It's not a matter of whether your contest's rules allow me to publish elsewhere. It's a matter of whether a writer would prefer to pay $ to enter a contest, likely exhausting first publication rights, vs. being able to sell those first publication rights for $.

ETA: mrsmig types faster than me and has it covered.

Unimportant
07-03-2017, 11:18 PM
Yep, sorry, I wasn't clear on that. Author retains copyright, but has used first rights and will find it near-impossible to sell it as a reprint.

BriMeetsBooks
07-10-2017, 02:43 AM
Thank you, I will relay your further comments to the site owners for consideration.