Is it worth submitting in July?

Edwardian

Registered
Reaction score
We're approaching summer and I'm wondering if it's worth submitting in July. I imagine many agents will be winding down and taking breaks. I don't mind if an agent takes longer to get to considering my submission, but my concern would be that they might ignore it, or leave it till August/September, and then see it as "old" and less interesting. Is it better to wait? I don't want to...

What do you think?

Dmbeucler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmbeucler.blogspot.com
If they are open, submit. You'll still end up in their queue somewhere no matter when you query. You'll end up waiting no matter when you query, so just send it out.*

*Unless they are closed, then wait till they open and send it out.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Always assume that a query is going into a long queue. The sooner you get yourself in line, the sooner you'll get your query to the front. All waiting will do for you is put that much farther behind the people who didn't wait.

Thomas Vail

What?
Registered
Reaction score
Always assume that a query is going into a long queue. The sooner you get yourself in line, the sooner you'll get your query to the front. All waiting will do for you is put that much farther behind the people who didn't wait.
An agent who gets a submission in July is unlikely to read it right away - it's at the back of the line, so it's going to be 'old' no matter what. The reading pace is probably going to slow a bit, because it is prime vacation time, but it's not going to have a big impact on submission timing.