Different Form of Outlining - Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vicky271

Registered
Reaction score
This two year old project is starting to come together. I feel like i can start writing. I have little plot information, and I'm struggling with character development.

However, i'm a strong believer in Outlines. Otherwise, i get mixed up and confused. Recently, I came up with a idea that may satisfy both the urge to start writing, and create a outline. I wanted to get honest feedback.

As I have a difficult time creating a culture until my characters are within, and outlines remain nothing more than blank pages on my screen, I thought of writing a "Outline Draft." I sit down, and start writing the story with all the information i have and discover the rest with my characters. As I write this draft, I record every detail in outline/summary form in another document. When I'm finished, I take a break for a few weeks and return to the outline for a read through. From there, I can high light stuff loose ends, and any other issues.

From there, I write the first draft and go from there.

Thoughts?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can't say I follow why you record - in another document - every detail of what you've already written, but if your system of outlining works for you, that's the objective. We all work in whatever manner suits us.

Personally, I also prefer to discover characters and events as I go along, but I don't stop to duplicate the details elsewhere. Good luck with the chronicles. :Hug2:

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
IMO, if your method works for you, then it works for you.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
When I outline (which is not for every novel/project) I always consider the outline to be, in essence, the zero draft. Once I have it all put together, I write the next draft (which is mostly narrative and dialogue). But the outline can contain not just plot points, but also scene descriptions and dialogue if I have an idea of how it will go.

The important thing is that what you're doing works for you.

vicky271

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the feedback! Happily working on this Outline Draft!

Status
Not open for further replies.