• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta for YA Paranormal romance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Since you posted this minutes after you dashed to 50 posts, the forum probably just hadn't approved you for SYW yet. However, dashing is frowned upon here, since it ignores the purpose of the 50-post limit, which, incidentally, is to allow us to get to know you and you to get to know us before demanding our time on your novel. 50 :welcome: posts don't do that. For best bang for your buck, critiquing in SYW creates goodwill that might be reciprocated while helping you learn what works and doesn't work through those critiques. You'd be surprised what you can learn on your own writing by critting others.

ETA: Also, please don't submit a second thread requesting betas for the same novel. Publishing requires patience, and you're going to be very frustrated in this business if you don't learn some.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: Also, please don't submit a second thread requesting betas for the same novel. Publishing requires patience, and you're going to be very frustrated in this business if you don't learn some.

This is the fourth thread paperxxflowers has started, looking for a beta reader.

Paperxxflowers, you should be able to start your own thread in SYW now you've gone past fifty posts, and the site software has had time to catch up with you. But I note that you've reached fifty posts by making mostly one-word posts, rather than in making solid contributions to the forum, so you're not going to find many of our more experienced, skillful critiquers who are willing to critique your work.

If you want people to help you with your own work, help them with theirs. Spend a couple of weeks in SYW helping other writers improve, before posting your own work. It will be worth it.

paperxxflowers

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry. I don't mean to bother anyone. I'm new to this, so I'll just go. Thanks for your time.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Nobody's telling you to go. However, we are asking you to show that you respect the members of AW's time before rushing around asking us to help you out. Get a chance to know us, give us a chance to get to know you. Show that you're interested in feedback by not shutting down once you get some (even if it's on forum etiquette and not on your novel). Thanks to a forum update in 2015, I can't see your history in 2013, but everything you've posted since your return in 2017 has been devoted to getting betas on your novel and crits on your query. Give us a reason to want to volunteer our time for your sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.