Because you watched/read/liked... aka Really Netflix? Really?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Just for fun, prompted by the recommendation from Netflix that 'Because you watched The Walking Dead...'

I will, apparently, next want to watch...

Gremlins.

No, there hasn't been some updated, zombified, more, uhm, convincing version. Netflix feels that because I watched several seasons of people running from flesh-devouring zombies while shooting, machete-ing (how the hell do you spell that?), and knifing them in the head as said zombies munched on people, in a somewhat, let's say, callous post-apocalyptic-type landscape, what I'd really enjoy is Gizmo, the very-obviously plastic-and-fake fur thing you can't feed after midnight or get wet otherwise he gets mad and, I don't remember, throws things and growls? Also that kid's dad got trapped in the chimney playing Santa and died, and thus he could never enjoy Christmas again, which even as a child I found funny.

Really, Netflix?

So, in the spirit of weekend wackiness, post your oddest website recommendations here.

Oh, also, Amazon Will. Not. Give. Up. on the idea that I really, really, must want every possible variant on an origami book in existence. Recommended for me currently are like seven origami books -- Star Wars origami! Origami kaleidoscopes! I don't even know. Last Christmas I ordered one (1) origami book and a pack of like 50 pieces of paper for a gift for someone.

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Hahaha.

Because my kids watched an episode of Bob Ross painting one time, Netflix thought they might also enjoy Archer.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
Because I read this thread, I'm all about Gremlins! Watching it now. "It all started in Chinatown!"

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Oh, also, Amazon Will. Not. Give. Up. on the idea that I really, really, must want every possible variant on an origami book in existence. Recommended for me currently are like seven origami books -- Star Wars origami! Origami kaleidoscopes! I don't even know. Last Christmas I ordered one (1) origami book and a pack of like 50 pieces of paper for a gift for someone.

What? None of the Origami Yoda books? Amazon, you disappoint me...

Under my Recommended titles, many of them seem roughly plausible, but for some reason Can't Buy Me Love, a history of the Beatles, is thrown in there. I can't even begin to fathom what I've looked at recently that might begin to connect to the Beatles, save in a "six degrees" method of association...

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just for fun, prompted by the recommendation from Netflix that 'Because you watched The Walking Dead...'

I will, apparently, next want to watch...

Gremlins.
I would much prefer watching Gremlins over The Walking Dead. I don't use Netflix, so there is no possibility of being insulted by the suggestion.

Although I haven't done it yet (because I like to keep Amazon guessing about what I am actually interested in), Amazon does have a means of removing suggestions so you don't see them again. I ran across it the other day.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Because I searched for new tires online, Google thought I was interested in single women for the next year. I now have ad block, no idea what their data mining says about me now.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Because I searched for new tires online, Google thought I was interested in single women for the next year.

Uhh... Is this some secret girl-thang I'm not to privy to? Or just incredibly bad AI? "Tires" => "vehicles" => "pickups" => "single women"??

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Because I read this thread, I'm all about Gremlins! Watching it now. "It all started in Chinatown!"

Aw, I feel like I've done something positive! :ROFL:

What? None of the Origami Yoda books? Amazon, you disappoint me...

Under my Recommended titles, many of them seem roughly plausible, but for some reason Can't Buy Me Love, a history of the Beatles, is thrown in there. I can't even begin to fathom what I've looked at recently that might begin to connect to the Beatles, save in a "six degrees" method of association...

Oh, those recommendations kind of fascinate me. You just looked at three mystery novels. Want a book on bread baking? Huh? What? Yeast, the great mystery?

Because I searched for new tires online, Google thought I was interested in single women for the next year. I now have ad block, no idea what their data mining says about me now.

I didn't look for pickups.

I'm pretty sure it has to do with an algorithm that pegs me as male.

If you were male though, wouldn't you just *know* where to find tires?

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I looked up international flights to Gaborone, Botswana and got a whole lot of Google ads for breast enlargements.

:crazy:

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it has to do with an algorithm that pegs me as male.

Google thinks I'm a really sleazy male. "Hot young Japanese women are eager to meet you!" is my daily Google ad. I still can't remember what I searched for that got me filed into "gross male looking for big-breasted Asian women".

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Google thinks I'm a really sleazy male. "Hot young Japanese women are eager to meet you!" is my daily Google ad. I still can't remember what I searched for that got me filed into "gross male looking for big-breasted Asian women".

Did you search for where to buy tires in Botswana??

I feel like it's all coming together....

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
--Because my last name is Mexican, I get a lot of ads for "lusty Spanish ladies" and for Vigara--just in case, you know.
--Because I had a Chinese password on a former email account, I received Asian sex ads.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
And I, who have bought every single one of Tom Angleberger's Origami Yoda series from Amazon--they have NEVER suggested a Star Wars Origami book. Where's the justice?

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
I can't imagine the havoc clicking on this is going to wreak, but here. HERE! Leaf-hat cat... *mumble*

noirdood

Registered
Reaction score
I went to view a small town newspaper on Goog and the ad folks gave me five ads on the landing page for a motel in California. Then I got me an ad blocker. I blocked Face**** and Net**** by just saying Adios to them. I'm an old grump.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Amazon often want to sell me things I've got already. Or else push a slightly different version (DVD vs Bluray).

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A few years ago, the heating element in our forty-year-old stove died. We could not find a replacement locally, but Amazon had one. We bought it, it fit perfectly, and we were good to go.

Nearly a decade later, I'm still getting "because you bought this, you might be interested in these!" ads. Like, perhaps I'd enjoy a bewitching array of differently shaped heating elements with varying types of connectors, for use as kitchen wall art? It's one of those things you buy once and have no further interest in.