Ignoring the bigger issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Isn't it amazing how series sneak in certain types *of immorality and because of how the story is plotted or written, the bigger issue is glossed over.

Was watching Friends. *In it Chandler meets a woman *in a chat room and starts to get romantically attached. Eventually *he learns she's *married and is devastated but when they meet face to face he*learns it's Ross' ex Janice *who he really liked and dashed in and kisses her.

Next episode we*learn*she*plans to divorce her cheating husband and they have in the mean time hooked up. The comedic conflict is how everyones ok with the relationship because it makes Chandler happy except Joey *who hates her but it's never pointed out by anyone that he's dating and implied sleeping with still MARRIED WOMAN!

Just shows how the media gradually softens our *resistance *to certain things *by gradual infiltration*except )but it's never pointed out that he's dating and implied sleeping with A MARRIED WOMAN!

That was the 90s.Today we got shows where the pritagonist is rhe presidents side chick.Just shows how the media has been gradually softening our *resistance *to certain things *by gradual infiltration*

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't it amazing how series sneak in certain types *of immorality and because of how the story is plotted or written, the bigger issue is glossed over.

Was watching Friends. *In it Chandler meets a woman *in a chat room and starts to get romantically attached. Eventually *he learns she's *married and is devastated but when they meet face to face he*learns it's Ross' ex Janice *who he really liked and dashed in and kisses her.

Next episode we*learn*she*plans to divorce her cheating husband and they have in the mean time hooked up. The comedic conflict is how everyones ok with the relationship because it makes Chandler happy except Joey *who hates her but it's never pointed out by anyone that he's dating and implied sleeping with still MARRIED WOMAN!

Just shows how the media gradually softens our *resistance *to certain things *by gradual infiltration*except )but it's never pointed out that he's dating and implied sleeping with A MARRIED WOMAN!

That was the 90s.Today we got shows where the pritagonist is rhe presidents side chick.Just shows how the media has been gradually softening our *resistance *to certain things *by gradual infiltration*
*hello*

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I'm not sure that infidelity/adultery as a plot point started in the 90s*, although I believe that sexual intercourse began in nineteen sixty-three.

*Unless it's the 1390s.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
(The asterisk thing happens when copy and pasting into AW from some word processing programs.)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Chandler Bing. Whatever happened to him?

Looking back on some of the Friends storylines, it was a show full of unpleasant things. But I loved it at the time.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I loathed friends. But infidelity lies at the heart of so-called courtly love. Think about troubadours, think about the love triangles of Arthur, Guinevere and Lancelot, or Trisatan, Isolde and Mark.

There is nothing new under the sun, and of the making of books there is no end.

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
Friends and Scandal seem like apples and motorbike helmets. Friends was a comedy. It wasn't coincidence that the characters often seemed like terrible people--that was by design. Comedy needs underdogs with flaws.

To me, reducing Olivia Pope to "president's side chick" might be more objectionable than glossing over fictional infidelity.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Immoral to whom?

I'm not sure I understand the plot yet. I watched Friends, but didn't see every episode. I may have missed this segment. She's married but separated? Is that what it is? Because you say she is his ex, and that indicates they are no longer together. Is this correct? Was Ross the one married to her? (Or Chandler, rather.) Or was he a boyfriend type ex before she married the man who was cheating on her? I'm currently very confused. lol!

But that wouldn't make any sense. She is married to someone else after dating and breaking up with him, right? And they meet in a chatroom and get involved and when they see each other in person, realize their connection? (Do I have it now?)

[bolding mine]
So, what I get from this so far is that her husband has cheated on her and she is in the process of divorcing him. That means their marriage is over. But you are not fuming over the fact the husband cheated on her, but that a married woman is finding someone else to be with and date. The man can do it but the woman can't? Because? She is not allowed to find someone else to date because the papers haven't been signed yet? Kinda judgemental of the woman, don't you think?

Again with the married woman part and not the cheating husband part.

I don't think this shows the media doing anything so nefarious as reducing our moral compass. It is said that art imitates life. If you believe that it was immoral of him to date a married woman going through a divorce, then the world's moral compass was broken a long time before Friends came out on the air.

Btw, the capitalization of "a married woman!" not once, but twice, is very off-putting. Once would have been too much, imo.

Could you tell me the name of the show? I might want to watch it.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Immoral to whom?

I'm not sure if the OP is railing against the changing cultural climate or not, but it seems to me sex, money, and power have been linchpins of storytelling for millennia. Which makes me happy, since I enjoy a good juicy soap opera, no matter what the genre. :)

And this is hardly some big new push by that cabal of shadowy rabble-rousers known as The Media. I mean, Odysseus catted around on Penelope, and we still consider him a literary hero. (Oh, Homer, you troublemaker.)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
The three basic themes of all literature ever:

Love
Sex
Death

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

Who's deciding what's immoral here? Sneak? Something was SNUCK into the plot of a 22-minute, primetime, NBC sitcom that was at the top of the Nielsen charts? There's a trick. What's the bigger issue?

Why would it be?

The media? The writers of friends are the media who are softening our (who is our, again?) resistance to what, exactly? Because when was I supposed to call my friend out of their girlfriend's marital status? What year was that my business, exactly?

Side chick?

What'd you have, three posts before we're back to the misogynistic crap, this time featuring the evil jezebel?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Take a good look at a random sampling of comedic hits from the 1950's forward. Many of the "antics" stem from the characters being rotten people and bad friends.

Now, take a good look at a random sampling of written comedic hits from say Chaucer's time forward. Many of the "antics" stem from the characters being rotten people and bad friends.

(And dude... thou hast not experienced peak infidelity until you marathon Shakespeare.)

SwallowFeather

Oops I just swallowed a feather
Registered
Reaction score
although I believe that sexual intercourse began in nineteen sixty-three.

That's the year they invented it, amirite? We reproduced by budding before then.

I mean, Odysseus catted around on Penelope, and we still consider him a literary hero. (Oh, Homer, you troublemaker.)

Yeah, that pissed me off pretty good in lit class. Because you know he wouldn't have put up with that from her.

M Louise

Registered
Reaction score
Madame Bovary, c'est moi. Adultery in 1856, spurred on by daydreaming and reading romantic novels. Oblique and barely implied sexual intercourse because it wasn't 1963. (Enough to get the novel banned though.)

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Doesn't power/greed and justice belong on that list? Maybe I'm over thinking it.

When are power and greed and a sense of justice not either used to obtain or seek revenge for the loss of love or sex, or stave off fear of death? :)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Doesn't power/greed and justice belong on that list? Maybe I'm over thinking it.

Yeah, you're overthinking it. It's crude, and a definite broad categorization, but people are driven to do things to ward off Death, to obtain Sex, or because of Love, and Love isn't always about love of other people.

Reaction score
Who's deciding what's immoral here? Sneak? Something was SNUCK into the plot of a 22-minute, primetime, NBC sitcom that was at the top of the Nielsen charts? There's a trick. What's the bigger issue?

Why would it be?

The media? The writers of friends are the media who are softening our (who is our, again?) resistance to what, exactly? Because when was I supposed to call my friend out of their girlfriend's marital status? What year was that my business, exactly?

Side chick?

What'd you have, three posts before we're back to the misogynistic crap, this time featuring the evil jezebel?

Misogynistic crap? Man that word is become like duct tape. It gets used in every situation. Note in my op. I moreseo focused on the man's action and how his friends are ok with it,with noone actually pointing out what hes doing to him. I barely mentioned the woman. Yet I'm somehow misogynistic and talking about evil Jezebels.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Misogynistic crap? Man that word is become like duct tape. It gets used in every situation. Note in my op. I moreseo focused on the man's action and how his friends are ok with it,with noone actually pointing out what hes doing to him. I barely mentioned the woman. Yet I'm somehow misogynistic and talking about evil Jezebels.

You know what? Life is too short for more of this. I'm not sure what your major malfunction is, but you need to take it somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.