Not open for further replies.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since the First Memory thread makes it obvious many of us have astonishing memories, who remembers the first book they read all by themselves?

I'm not sure, but I think mine must have been the scintillating Fun With Dick and Jane. Such pathos, such dense plotting. I laughed, I cried, I read.

Maryn, wondering whatever became of Sally

rich

"The Interpretation of Dreams'--Freud. Hey, I was 8 months old. All you did then was eat, crap, and sleep. There wasn't much else to do.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nah, it wasn't a swinger movie, it was a suburban couple who became bank robbers. They did a remake recently, which I somehow missed. Go figure. (The original offended some people because there was a scene in which the wife peed during a conversation with the husband. Shocking. I'm sure no married couple ever, ever does that.)

"One Fish, Two Fish" is a classic for a reason!

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! That's a toughie. Ummmm...(why did I just type all that out? I could've just as easily thought about it then posted it without sharing my inner dialogue. I guess I feel committed as soon as I click the reply button...anyway, back to the show...)

It was either Dick and Jane or One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss. After that, I devoured Dr. Seuss's bibliography pretty much like I do with any other novelist I enjoy nowadays (latest victim John Case).

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Goldilocks and The Three Bears. I was four.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OMG! I remember the first book I ever read--it was Little Jack Horner. I'd had the book memorized, but when it actually came through to me that I knew what the words were is something I'll never forget. I was around four years old. I was always crazy about books; I had my own book drawer in the bottom of my dresser. I would sit in it and be surrounded by my books.I was always pestering someone to read to me. In desperation, my family had started teaching me to read so I'd leave them the heck alone.

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
Thin Arnold, but I have no idea how old I was. My memory doesn't go back much before I was 8, unless I start thinking about landmarks. Damn oxygen deprivation.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
That smutty stuff sounds about right, Vote_Bot ;)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Green Eggs and Ham

But my parents say I really had just memorized it (hey, that takes skill too).

Melisande

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I don't remember which was the first book I read. My mother told me that from the age of about six I always had my nose in some book. The first book I remember that had an impact on me was 'Marie' by Ethel Turner.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
My Mother did not like Dr. Seuss.
She would not let it in the hoose.

I did not read it, that is true,
Not until my son turned two.

Ack, not good, I know.

I have not idea what my first book might have been. According to my mother, I've been able to read since I was, like, one year old or some such nonsensical hyperbole. I was an early reader, though.

I remember a Little Golden Book about a bunny and its mother. Maybe it was that one.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
'Elephant buttons' It has no words but I am told it was the first I held the right way and turned all the pages by myself. I still love it--my Mom sent me my very battered copy recently when I was going through a homesickness phase...

CurtisCandy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.onelastkill.com
"Green Eggs and Ham"

Started it in 1966. Finished it in...well...I think I can wrap it up by next week.

Don't ruin it for me. - I'm thinking Sam I Am did it.

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
The Berenstein's B Book. Like Sage, my mom says I most likely memorized it... but isn't that kind of what reading is at first? You have to memorize then recognize. But to this day, I can recite the story without looking. It amazes my kindergardeners... :hooray:

Reaction score
My favorite book growing up =

conkeats.jpg

Tilly

Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure mine was Meg and Mog.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
I don't remember. I learned to read on Mother Goose's Nursery Rhymes. (Lovely illustrations in the Arts and Crafts style – anyone else see the current show at the DeYoung?) I had the verses memorized, so I hesitate to say I read it by myself. Others mentioned similar situations with memorized books.

Eveningsdawn

Just Sing.
Registered
Reaction score
The first book I remember being read to me was Black Beauty, but I have no idea of the first book I read. I suspect it was of the "Goodnight Moon" variety. I'll ask mom.

Status
Not open for further replies.