I just found a giant spider in my drawers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
...and every time that happens, I'm stupid enough to believe it's the last time.

Sigh!

The depths of my stupidities is boundless!

And he was a big sucker! A healthy 3 inches, square. I'm still plucking his guts out of...various crevices.

And now Rachel has a voice recording of my shrieking like a little girl. But this is proof positive...I'm not crazy! There really are spiders on me:D

Ah, well!

I suppose this is the price one lives for living in sylvan New York...that and the lyme disease.

And 2 seconds later, I put my hand on a door knob and just barely avoided having another of the little bastards scuttling up my sleeve.

Not my day.

So, what's the creepiest encounter you've ever had with the octo-legged breed:tongue

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:
Why would there be large spiders in Sylvan, New York? I'd think nothing grows that big above the frost line. We certainly don't have any big creepy crawlies because of the cold.

Um, that was an adjective, not a place, dearest Ferret. You see, since there so many deciduous trees all over the place, their warming roots beat back the perma-frostline...

God!

My skin is still crawling, and I'm typing this in the nude, so I can be sure there aren't any creepy-crawlies in my skivvies:tongue

Tilly

Registered
Reaction score
I remember the time I became afraid of spiders.
I was little and sat in bed reading when I happened to glance behind me (I was probably checking for ghosts). On the wall, at head height, was the biggest spider I'd ever seen. Before then I'd been able to pick them up, no problem. After that I couldn't be near them.

But the worst experience in recent years was when my own little girl put her coat on, turned around, and there was a very large spider just below her hood. She's scared of them. Luckily she'll believe anything we tell her, and stayed still while we (and when I say we, I mean my partner while I stood there suppressing the urge to run/scream) removed some 'dirt' that had gotten on her coat.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This gave me a great idea for a screenplay. Thank you.

"Spiders on a Drawer."

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Not really scared of spiders. I just came from the garden and also stepped on a snake. I f*cking hate snakes. This one is about two feet long and as thick as my thumb. Yuck.

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
Not really scared of spiders. I just came from the garden and also stepped on a snake. I f*cking hate snakes. This one is about two feet long and as thick as my thumb. Yuck.

I adore snakes. Particularly the species that come sheathed in trousers:tongue

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I like spiders. They eat things that I DON'T like: Mosquitos and black flies.

Quit killing them!

Bag them gently and let them go outside.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
I hate spiders. And three inchers aren't big. Those are positively tiny in comparison to the ones here... Bodies an inch or two in diameter, legs another two inches past that... There are at least five of those sized ones in our house at this moment. They move too fast for me to catch & kill 'em, and dh won't kill 'em, the !@#@!!! (I love you, honey! *smooch*) With our vaulted ceiling... There's just no way to hunt 'em down.

Now, if we're talking about four legged creatures, I could tell you about our three roof lizards, ranging in size from 2 1/2 to 4 1/2 feet long. I could tell you about how they've invaded our back garden at least three times. I could even tell you about the time one of them - the big one - invaded our house and it took nearly an hour to get it out.

I could also tell you where to find the pictures.

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
I had a black widow encounter a couple days ago, and I posted about it (with pictures) somewhere on here, but I'm too lazy to look for it. I posted about it on my blog too.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
when I read the title of the thread, I was really hoping you meant "chest of drawers"...you know, the dresser, not your dang Pants! YUCK! You gave me the creepycrawlies just thinking about something like that...ugh!
Thanks LJ...very nice! I'm pretty sure I'm going to be ticklish and itchy the rest of thenight now.

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
I was camping way south in Japan. Got there, set up, ate...much beer. Made a trip to the little girl's room. It was dark already. Someone had left the light on. The actual toilet area was tiny, hole in the floor, barely enough room to scoot your feet around it. The door opened in.

Open. Creeeak. Slip in careful not to touch webby-slimy-filthy walls, try to ignore thumping/hissing sounds of other bugs dancing about naked lightbulb. Shut door. Door is shut. Didn't even get the button undone on my jeans before I noticed the enormous black spider the size of my hand on the back of the door, just about chest high. I screamed like I have never screamed in my life. I am locked in, I cannot get out. I scream, go numb, shake, tremble, weep. I hear a large gathering of people outside. I know spiders jump.

Somewhere I find the strength to open the door and flee...past the crowd of strangers all bug(ahem!)-eyed and pointing at me. I peed behind trees the rest of the weekend. There were many compliments made about my scream.
(My cockroach stories are much better;) )

Jo

Travelling the re-write road
Registered
Reaction score
A mate of ours, a Huntsman spider, measuring around 20cm from leg tip to tip, on the back door a few years ago:

*click on it if you want a closer view... hehe*

(Hubby loves spiders and snakes, and his sister is a snake catcher.)

Our biggest worry around here is Redback spiders--they're small, deadly and hide everywhere!
http://amonline.net.au/factsheets/redback.htm

Although, I know these guys, along with Trapdoor spiders, are padding around the place, too:
http://www.tenforward.com.au/spiders/facts.html
(yes, they eat birds...)

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
Snapple drinks have sayings on the inside of the cap. I had a lemon ice tea last week and inside it said:

"The average person eats five spiders in their lifetime while asleep"

Yuk! I don't think I sleep with my mouth open but just to be safe, maybe I should tape it at night. LOL

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
That's not a spider, LJ, that's your hand!

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
A small spider rappelled down its silk onto the back on my hand and ran up my sleeve - while I was driving once. It's amazing I'm still here to tell you about it.

Last edited:

Jo

Travelling the re-write road
Registered
Reaction score
I used to jump out of bed in the middle of the night, brushing spiders off of me. I'd turn on the light and wake my hubby, but we'd never find the spiders.

It took me up until about a year ago to realize it was my eyelashes I was seeing (through half-closed, sleepy eyes)...

:e2smack:

Perks, your story reminds me of the time I was driving in busy traffic and a Huntsman spider crawled out from the sun visor, onto the windscreen in front of me. I carefully pulled over to the curb--and froze. Eventually, I scrambled from the car and got a guy from a nearby house to hoist the freeloader out (into the traffic...). I've been wary of car visors ever since.

Oh, and about the spider on our back door: 20cm is about 8 inches.

Last edited:

Dulvarian_Eldritch

Registered
Reaction score
Worst experience with a spider was upon moving into this house with 2 small children (2 and 4) and finding a rather large black widow in the laundry room. I left a good deal of packing stuff in the back yard and found 5 or 6 brown recluses hiding in pieces of styrofoam (when I got around to cleaning it up about 3 months later). My wife's aunt didn't believe me about the brown recluses, so I caught one in a jar and showed her.

Spiders don't normally bother me unless they are on me or in my private space. In the summer we have dozens and dozens of daddy longlegs that hang out all over the eaves of the house.

Snakes I don't mind, unless they are poisonous. Things that have a chance to cause me harm that I can terminate the existance of without prosecution suffer death upon discovery.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Spiders are evil. I have 2 stories that I'm sure I've posted before, but I'll tell them again, just for you, LJ.

1. Hawaii. I was 15 and visiting my Uncle who lived on Maui. It was my first night there and I was sleeping on the floor. When I woke up in the morning, I felt a weight on my chest and heard my Uncle Billy telling me "Don't move an inch." I looked at my chest and there was a spider sitting on me that was the size of my hand. Uncle Billy stomped his foot (I have NO idea why, that sucker could have chomped me!) and the spider went running up the wall I was sleeping next to. He threw a book flat at the wall and the splatter was HUGE. I don't know what kind of spider it was, but it was heavy and huge and very frightening.

2. Peru. I was living in Peru when I was 19 and trying my hardest to overcome my fear of 8 leggeds. This proved quite difficult because they were always showing up in the bath when I was about to wash. They weren't that big and I could always wash later :) One day, at breakfast, my friend Bethany and I were sitting at the table in the kitchen when a whopper of a guy dropped down from the rafters on his little silk string, right between us. He was about the size of a softball and right next to my ear. When I turned my head to say something to her, I was looking the beast in the eye. Freaked me out. I jumped up, he pulled himself back into the rafters and we never saw him again. But I knew he was there...

Melisande

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
CaroGirl said:
I like spiders. They eat things that I DON'T like: Mosquitos and black flies.

Quit killing them!

Bag them gently and let them go outside.

That's the spirit! :Hug2:

quidscribis said:
Now, if we're talking about four legged creatures, I could tell you about our three roof lizards, ranging in size from 2 1/2 to 4 1/2 feet long. I could tell you about how they've invaded our back garden at least three times. I could even tell you about the time one of them - the big one - invaded our house and it took nearly an hour to get it out.

When I was in India I stayed in a hotel in Jamnargar. The first morning I woke up there was a huge lizard staring down at me from the ceiling. I ran out to reception and urged the staff to remove it. The man behind the desk looked at me with appreciation and said: "Ah, the Gods must love you. If there's a lizard in your room there will be no bugs." And behold, my travelling companions all had fleabites, I had none. Besides, lizards are kind of cute.

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
quidscribis said:
I hate spiders. And three inchers aren't big. Those are positively tiny in comparison to the ones here... Bodies an inch or two in diameter, legs another two inches past that... There are at least five of those sized ones in our house at this moment. They move too fast for me to catch & kill 'em, and dh won't kill 'em, the !@#@!!! (I love you, honey! *smooch*) With our vaulted ceiling... There's just no way to hunt 'em down.

I could also tell you where to find the pictures.

That's nothing! In Florida, which I've visited, like, a thousand times, they are OVERRUN with geckoes and alligators! It's a plague, I tell you! Well, depending on whether you're a fan of cold-blooded creatures. I'm a cold-blooded creature myself, so I have a special kinship with them.

Reaction score
This is why the Good Lord invented vacuum cleaners. I have one with a 'hose' attachment on the back; last time I tried to hoover one off my bedroom wall, four legs were down the tube and I swear it was still hanging onto the wall with the other four.

Got it in the end, though! The only good spider is a dead spider.

rekirts

NOooooo!!!
Registered
Reaction score
September skies said:
Snapple drinks have sayings on the inside of the cap. I had a lemon ice tea last week and inside it said:

"The average person eats five spiders in their lifetime while asleep"
I really, really didn't need to know that. I can only hope I am way below average when it comes to eating spiders.

Status
Not open for further replies.