• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta reader for Christian fiction 23k

Status
Not open for further replies.

pschmehl

Registered
Reaction score
I asked a question about novellas in the novella forum, because mine is done but I'm not getting any interest from agents. One agent (owner of a Christian agency) actually told me there is no market for novellas. (I don't believe him.)

The mod of that forum suggested I get a beta reader. From what I've read here, that's not likely until I've posted in SYW, but I'll give it a shot.

If you're interested in beta reading a 23,000 word novella (Christian fiction) about a man struggling with the death of his wife who meets a mysterious man who introduces him to a new way of living, please contact me through PM.

The book has been professionally edited, so I'm not looking for grammar, punctuation or spelling error help. My editor told me the story reminded her of The Shack. Since I'd never heard of the book, I checked it out from the library and read it. The premise is similar, but the details are quite a bit different. In fact, I didn't like The Shack at all. If you want to know why, you can read my article about it, but fair warning, there are spoilers.

A friend who works out with me read my novella and loved it. But we all know friends won't be brutally honest. If you can read something and give an honest opinion (sucks bad, good but needs work, incredible but you could improve here and here), I'm interested in talking to you. I'd be happy to read something of yours, but I've never been published, so take that into account. No matter how hard you try, you cannot hurt my feelings. I'm looking for honesty not praise. If you think the story can be expanded, I'm open to that. I think it's done, but you might convince me otherwise.

I've written nonfiction articles for an online magazine for pay (very nice pay for 2000 word articles), and I'm a chapter author in a published nonfiction work. This is my first nonfiction. Grammarly says my command of the language and vocabulary are both in the ninety-ninth percentile, for what that's worth.

If you're hestiant, you can read one chapter and tell me you're not interested. I can send you the book in epub, mobi, pdf or docx, your choice.

I'm particularly interested in writers who have published novellas traditionally.

This is the first two paragraphs of my query letter.

Will Jack’s soul-crushing loss destroy him? Or make him a better man?

Teetering on the brink of suicide, Jack travels to his family’s lake cabin to escape his parent’s phone calls, drink, and finally make a decision. But an extraordinary happenstance changes the course of his week and his life when he meets a mysterious man named Toby who teaches him a new approach to living.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's not something I'd be your target audience for, so I've just got two quick comments about the query:

1. typo: should be "his parents' phone calls"
2. My initial thought was that this is a coming-out gay male romance.

pschmehl

Registered
Reaction score
It's not something I'd be your target audience for, so I've just got two quick comments about the query:

1. typo: should be "his parents' phone calls"
2. My initial thought was that this is a coming-out gay male romance.

Sheesh. Thanks for catching the typo. No matter how many times I proofread....

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. Typos are just a fact of life :D

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The eye sees what it expects to be there. We can't help it.

AshlethB

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Paul,

I might be a candidate to be your beta-reader. Would you be interested in a partner at all? I think that my story might be Christian fiction as well, but it takes a while to get there. I did love The Shack though...

Well, hope to hear from you soon either way,

Ashlee

Status
Not open for further replies.