View Full Version : Anyone from Vermont or Delaware?

06-06-2017, 11:16 PM
I'm hoping for some help with the term used by people in Vermont and people in Delaware for the enclosed areas in supermarket parking lots where shoppers return their shopping carts after loading groceries into their vehicles. Often several of these things are located in different parts of the parking lot, and if shoppers don't want to walk the cart all the way back to front of the store, and if they don't leave the cart near their vehicle for someone else to get, they walk the cart to the (blank), and an attendant will later gather the carts from there and return them to the front to the store.

My character is from Delaware and has been living in Vermont for years. I found online that the thing can be called a "cart receptacle" or a "cart corral," and I'm wondering if there are regional differences regarding which term is used. (I just call it "that place where you put your cart.")

Thanks for your help!

06-06-2017, 11:38 PM
Lotsa time in VT (family there, college there) and I am also a "place where you return the cart" person but I have heard cart corral (never heard receptacle!)

And you really will hear wicked all the time! As in, wicked cute, wicked smart (in boston that's wicked smaht :) )

06-07-2017, 01:44 AM
Thanks, Bombergirl! "Wicked smaht." Ha!

06-07-2017, 02:34 AM
Cart corral is the almost universal term, everywhere.


06-07-2017, 04:58 PM
Thanks, Jeff! If you say it's almost universal everywhere, I'm going with it. :) Poor character is going to get yelled at by another shopper for not taking her cart to the cart corral. But it wasn't her cart! Wrong place, wrong time. And she's got an anxiety disorder. Guy thinks he's in the right, but he's the one in the wrong. Assumptions.

Rep points for two writer pals who helped me out.