Unsure where to post this...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vicky271

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I'm unsure where to post this question. At the moment, i'm picking this board. I had to make a guess.

I applied to University. One of the majors i chose was English Literature. I'm considering a double major. I love English, and i dropped out of University previously because i was required to take theology courses, and i did terribly. My thing isn't theology.

But I originally applied to University again because i'm thinking of upgrading my certificate. It'll guarantee me more opportunities in the job market.

For all those pursuing a bachelors in anything related to English, how much work is it? Would it be impossible to pursue a double major in english and communications?

All feedback appreciated!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on the uni -- I'd think there might be some overlap in reqs there w/English and communications maybe.

Have you tried looking at the major requirements to see if classes overlap and what they are for both? Generally it'll just kill some of your elective possibilities, so it's not particularly more work than any other classes. The amount of work depends on the classes. I mean if you did an English major and then did a ton of, I dunno, chemistry classes for electives, that'd probably be more work because it's a lot of lab time and memorization, if you see what I mean.

I had a double major and I think like two or three minors, because I was indecisive and changed my major and then had enough credits for a minor and ...

Check the school's major reqs for each and see what you think of the classes.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
This is so very dependent on the school, that we can't really help. Look at the specific requirements for the two majors.

Look at the rules for a double major.

Talk to an undergraduate advisor at the school; now, before you start. They'll be able to answer your questions.

It's likely that it is possible; the tricky part will be scheduling.

vicky271

Registered
Reaction score
It depends on the uni -- I'd think there might be some overlap in reqs there w/English and communications maybe.

Have you tried looking at the major requirements to see if classes overlap and what they are for both? Generally it'll just kill some of your elective possibilities, so it's not particularly more work than any other classes. The amount of work depends on the classes. I mean if you did an English major and then did a ton of, I dunno, chemistry classes for electives, that'd probably be more work because it's a lot of lab time and memorization, if you see what I mean.

I had a double major and I think like two or three minors, because I was indecisive and changed my major and then had enough credits for a minor and ...

Check the school's major reqs for each and see what you think of the classes.

University is very academic, and unfortunately, i'm hands on orientated. I'm unsure if a double major would be, in the end, too hard.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's hardly something you have to decide now. Start with core classes and get a feel for things. It's not going to be an issue for a while.

SaraC

Registered
Reaction score
I double majored for my associates with english and journalism, and when I got to my BA, I majored in creative writing and minored in Theater. However, to me, a lit class wasn't necessarily a lot of "work" because I read super fast. When I was going for my masters, one class would have us read a novel and two journal articles in a week. Look at specific course requirements and see how many extra courses you will need to take.

Status
Not open for further replies.