Union Navy Recruit

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
This is for a play. I have a character from a wealthy family that does ship-building, freight-carrying and is heavily involved in fishing. The young man grew up around this and was twenty years old in 1860. In 1861 he signed up with the U.S. Navy. He will die aboard a fictional ironclad in early November 1863.

Keep in mind he did not attend the Naval Academy, which I believe makes it impossible for him to be an officer. However, he knows ships and sailing very well, is strong and healthy and well educated. What is he likely to have become aboard this fictional ironclad within two years? ​I was thinking his job and rank more than anything.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
Not all officers came from the academy (then or now). He could have been appointed as a midshipman because he was well-educated, well connected and knew ships. From there it's a matter of having people who outrank you get killed so you can get a temporary promotion :)

Being a good navigator and supply manager helps

The Union navy was short of ships (they burned the ones in the Norfolk Naval yard) AND men at the start of the war, which means they weren't going to be too picky. If you already could steam or sail you had a job.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histo...vy#American_Civil_War_.281861.E2.80.931865.29

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
In the Civil War people could get commissions based on the number of soldiers that they recruited. It was practically a form of warlordism