US - UK different word meanings question - one for US people

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
So, the word "pissed" in the US means angry and in the UK means drunk. (In the UK tend to understand US meaning of pissed, but mostly say "pissed off").

In a sentence in a conversation down a pub, after one character has had a strong beer, would another character saying "he's slightly pissed" translate to "he's a bit drunk" for US readers?

Wanted to use "pissed" as it is in character for the person speaking.

Sleeping Cat Books

Booking design projects for fall
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sleepingcatbooks.com
I think if you make it clear in context, it would be understood. I know the British sense, but I grew up watching a lot of British stuff on PBS.

Is the character saying it actually British? If the character is American, then it would come across wrong, because an American would likely say something like tipsy, sloshed, or hammered.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
I have had problems using English slang words . Having a fag can be misunderstood by Americans . If your story is set in the UK , and all the characters are British. I don't think you need worry .

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, everyone British and in the UK. :)

Thanks folks.

(Then there is rubber and eraser.... but that is two different words for the same thing.)

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
The US also uses "pissed or piss" for drunk. As in "Charlie was piss-drunk" or "Charlie got pissed at the party," which in whatever context could mean drunk or angry. I always say "pissed off" for angry and "piss-drunk."

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. Never noticed "pissed" for drunk in US dramas (my main source of US-ism) thanks that makes it safer to use.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
(Then there is rubber and eraser.... but that is two different words for the same thing.)

In a America, a rubber is something you stretch over a penis.

Last edited:

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score

Yup. Sorry, didn't make it clear enough I was making a joke on it. In UK the US rubber is a condom (in case you need to know) :D

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

When I was kid (in the US) rubbers were sort of like mini-galoshes - you put them over shoes to keep them dry in wet weather. I haven't seen the article or heard the usage in recent decades, so I think both must have faded from the scene, while the other type of rubber remains.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
The US also uses "pissed or piss" for drunk. As in "Charlie was piss-drunk" or "Charlie got pissed at the party," which in whatever context could mean drunk or angry. I always say "pissed off" for angry and "piss-drunk."
Might be a regional thing in the US... I've lived most of my 51 years in the Southeast and never heard it used to mean drunk, here.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
So, the word "pissed" in the US means angry and in the UK means drunk. (In the UK tend to understand US meaning of pissed, but mostly say "pissed off").

In a sentence in a conversation down a pub, after one character has had a strong beer, would another character saying "he's slightly pissed" translate to "he's a bit drunk" for US readers?

Wanted to use "pissed" as it is in character for the person speaking.

"A bit drunk" would be "tipsy," or more likely "buzzed," with "sloshed," "hammered," or "plastered" being closer to the UK "piss-drunk."

Laurasaurus

Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering today whether the word 'spunk' just means courage in the US, or if it also means what it means in the UK.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Might be a regional thing in the US... I've lived most of my 51 years in the Southeast and never heard it used to mean drunk, here.

I never knew pissed meant drunk until I went to Australia.

If I don't understand a word or something about the context I usually read past it and it doesn't affect much unless it caused some key thing.

People who are well read (I hadn't been that well read when I went to Oz) are going to be familiar with English slang. You want to use language your characters would use.

Putting those two concepts together, if pissed meaning drunk was the first time I'd come across the term in a book, as long as it was clear the guy wasn't angry, I think like most readers, I would simply learn the new term the same way I learned it hearing it the first time used to mean drunk.

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
"A bit drunk" would be "tipsy," or more likely "buzzed," with "sloshed," "hammered," or "plastered" being closer to the UK "piss-drunk."

UK - we don't say "piss-drunk" :) pissed for drunk yes....

Tipsy - yes, in UK too, but pretty old fashioned.

Will think further - need a term that works with "slightly"

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score

I didn't know what pissed really meant until I drank with Australians... (c:

The phrase "Hey, Rob, do you wanna beer or do you wanna mystery drink" will live with me forever!

Great activity though, I think there must be as many phrases for drunk ask there are for genitals, maybe that should be the subject of another thread!

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
...the UK "piss-drunk."

Never heard anyone use 'piss-drunk'. Just 'pissed'. Maybe 'pissed up'.

What about the first time you heard a big, brawny Aussie bloke announce that he was going to get his thongs to wear at the beach?

Laurasaurus

Registered
Reaction score
UK people also sometimes say 'pissed as a fart', which makes absolutely no sense at all.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
When I said "piss-drunk" I was meaning it as "pissed for drunk" rather than "pissed for angry." Call it a brilliant failure at attempted clarity.