PDA

View Full Version : requerying

Sigma
05-27-2017, 05:50 PM
Thanks in advance to anyone answering.

I understand that re-querying is a no-no, but I guess, my question is, how much of a no-no? About two months ago I had (foolishly) submitted a very poor query letter to a few agents. It's not a big deal, except that one of the agents, who did not bother to respond, is way on the very top of my list. It kills me to know I blew my chances with that agent my prematurely sending out a query (I have what I feel is a significantly better one now).

So, how terrible is it to resend the query, this time with the improved letter, maybe specifying that my concern is he never got it in the first place, due to a mix up of names (for this agent that would actually make sense)? Am I wasting everyone's time? I understand if the answer is "definitely a bad idea" but for my own sanity I just want to make sure.

Old Hack
05-27-2017, 06:13 PM
Don't do it.

The agent did get the query, they just weren't interested in taking your submission any further. And the whole mix-up-of-names things sounds like an excuse. Agents get hundreds of queries every week: if everyone who submitted to them requeried when they didn't get the response they wanted, agents would stop taking queries.

Next time, write a better query. Submit more effectively. You can do this.

Frankie007
05-27-2017, 08:33 PM
i've seen a few that say to try them again the future.... but i think it's if i ever have a different story.....

Old Hack
05-27-2017, 09:44 PM
You can query new projects, of course. But once you've queried a book and have had a no, that's that. Unless you heavily rewrite the book, then there's an argument to be made for allowing a requery--but you have to have changed the book so substantially that it's essentially a new project. A new title and a bit of a revamp isn't going to do it.

PeteMC
05-28-2017, 05:03 PM
Yeah, what OH said - don't do that.

By all means query this agent again once you've written the next book, but I'm afraid you have to consider this book as dead to that agent now.

Sigma
05-28-2017, 07:16 PM
Thanks guys. I will follow your advice. It's a shame because the query was so poor it didn't even describe the novel much, but, it's a learning experience :(

CJSimone
05-29-2017, 05:46 PM
Thanks in advance to anyone answering.

I understand that re-querying is a no-no, but I guess, my question is, how much of a no-no? About two months ago I had (foolishly) submitted a very poor query letter to a few agents. It's not a big deal, except that one of the agents, who did not bother to respond, is way on the very top of my list. It kills me to know I blew my chances with that agent my prematurely sending out a query (I have what I feel is a significantly better one now).

So, how terrible is it to resend the query, this time with the improved letter, maybe specifying that my concern is he never got it in the first place, due to a mix up of names (for this agent that would actually make sense)? Am I wasting everyone's time? I understand if the answer is "definitely a bad idea" but for my own sanity I just want to make sure.

Unless you heavily rewrite the book, then there's an argument to be made for allowing a requery--but you have to have changed the book so substantially that it's essentially a new project. A new title and a bit of a revamp isn't going to do it.

Thanks guys. I will follow your advice. It's a shame because the query was so poor it didn't even describe the novel much, but, it's a learning experience :(

Hi Sigma. Going by agent interviews and such, it looks like most expect either a very significant rewrite or a significant amount of time (as in a year or so) to go by before resubmitting. Some definitely sound more opposed to resubmission than others, so maybe see what you can find out about your dream agent's attitude toward it. But it might be best to just move on to other agents. Realistically, that particular agent probably wasn't going to be the "yes", and you might find another that works out well for you.

Hope it works out!

CJ