Would you rather

Reaction score
As a writer- Would you rather write something that was universally critically lauded but didn't didn't sell well but
quickly slipped into obscurity (think Dredd)or something that was successful but widely considered as crap? (Michael bay's transformers).
And why?

Alcasgra

Registered
Reaction score
I need to earn money through my writing, so I would rather write something successful but widely considered as crap. LOL!

S. Eli

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
I'd definitely rather crap because the capitalist society has eaten my soul but i don't because i'm an artist at heart and integrity keeps getting in the way, i guess? But I guess I kind of do write crap tho lol I often tell people I basically write Vin Diesel movies as books staring even more POC

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
I'd go with the-latter-but-not-really.

Because you don't get to be widely-successful without a lot of people who like your work. And no matter how vocal the people who don't like it are about it or how "cool" it becomes to whine about it, that doesn't make all of the people whose love of it made it a success stop existing.

So logic dictates that either outcome is a different form of success. I'd go with the latter, because not only would I have plenty of people who enjoyed my work, I'd also have a lot of money. And with both of those things, I don't think I'd mind the people who think being a pompous vocal minority that thinks the world revolves solely around them is cool.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
As a writer- Would you rather write something that was universally critically lauded but didn't didn't sell well but
quickly slipped into obscurity (think Dredd)or something that was successful but widely considered as crap? (Michael bay's transformers).
And why?

Who is Dredd?

Reaction score
The second judge dredd movie. Much better received than the Sylvester Stallone one. Considered to be very good but didn't do too well at the box office. So much so there's a petition I think to get a sequel

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I'd go with the-latter-but-not-really.

Because you don't get to be widely-successful without a lot of people who like your work. And no matter how vocal the people who don't like it are about it or how "cool" it becomes to whine about it, that doesn't make all of the people whose love of it made it a success stop existing.

So logic dictates that either outcome is a different form of success. I'd go with the latter, because not only would I have plenty of people who enjoyed my work, I'd also have a lot of money. And with both of those things, I don't think I'd mind the people who think being a pompous vocal minority that thinks the world revolves solely around them is cool.

Yeah, this.

Charles Gull

Registered
Reaction score
I think this is a plastic and dynamic question.

Initially, I would go for the cash. Once I have 15 blockbusters on my catalogue then I can start wooing the critics. Mind you, by that stage they would probably be wooing me....

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
The second judge dredd movie. Much better received than the Sylvester Stallone one. Considered to be very good but didn't do too well at the box office. So much so there's a petition I think to get a sequel

CreativeMechanic, what do you write? You only seem to talk about movies.

Last edited: