Home Remedies - Toothache pain

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
So I have this tooth, okay, these teeth, that I've neglected for far too long.

Finally, it was the pain that drove me to do the right thing.

But my dentist is on vacation, whoa, for the next week and a half.

I could go elsewhere, but thinkin' I'm gonna tough it out till she gets back.

In the meantime, oh, madone..

I've tried peroxide, salt water, anbesol, and whiskey-soaked cotton balls, still the pain wakes me up.

Anything that you're found helpful in this situation? Thanks.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
When my son had wisdom teeth extracted and couldn't take prescription pain meds (and he has a very low tolerance for pain), his dentist told him to take 3 ibuprofen and 1 acetaminophen every four hours. But since that is a lot, you'd have to clear it with your primary care doctor.

When I had dry socket after a tooth extraction, the dentist gave me a gel composed of crushed cloves that is pungent but it worked.

I hope you feel better soon!

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Cloves, yeah, definitely, been thinking of that. I've also got a bottle of these, what are they...Hydrocodon/acetaminophen I haven't touched. thank you!

*Just don't like to take that stuff, but might have to. thanks.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Orajel or another brand of tooth-numbing gel might get you through the week.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oil of cloves.

Maryn, who read Marathon Man

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Oil of cloves, yeah. That's what my Grandma used, and when I told my dentist (a couple of dentists ago) about it, he said they still use it.

Just a word of caution about most pain killers: they don't mix with gingko. I nearly wrecked my digestive system when I was having tooth problems and continued to take my ginkgo as well as the Tylenol the dentist suggested.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that's good to know. Haven't scored the clove oil yet, but I'm working on it. I haven't taken the strong painkillers yet. I've only taken Aleve and used peroxide and anbesol. Also ice, but in this case, a peeled, halved, frozen banana, hahahaha, it works well with the curvature of the cheek.

Oh, ha, I should have said that it's wrapped in plastic wrap, that would get messy when it starts to melt.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are you sure you want to tough it out? If you were my kid I'd be doing my 'Your dentist wasn't your dentist until she was' speech, and then making sure you called back to tell me how the new dentist was. I think 10 days is too long to leave an infection that close to your brain. (OTOH, I am not a neurologist. I just worry about brains in general, because I don't think I could fix one if I broke it.)

Last edited:

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm trying to fix my brain, too. I'll let you know how it goes. No, she's not my new dentist, I've been to her before. I managed to get a scrip for ambicillin (I have no fuckin' idea how to spell that and ain't about to look) so I'm not too worried about the infection. In fact, I'm hoping the infection accounts for this traveling pain. You know, one minute it's one tooth then another then the gum. Otherwise, I'm gonna need a lot of work.

CJMockingbird

Registered
Reaction score
As someone who waited until the last possible second (tears, couldn't sleep or think) I reccomend going asap. Main thing that kept me from going was $$. In-laws had to cover it.

I took a dangerous amount of IB profuen at one point. I don't reccomend it. Brushing with sensitive tooth paste, more ora-jel than medically required, heating pad is the only thing that kept me going. I tried drinking warm tea / letting a tea bag rest in my cheek and that barely helped.

Sad thing is, at least I'm now on insurance, but I still can't afford / also too scared to get the rest of my wisdoms out. One molar is gone and needs to be fixed, too. Sigh.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, teeth, we don't think about them until they demand our attention. I had an exposed nerve, very painful. Feeling much better now. Had my first solid meal since Thursday (gingerly of course) yesterday. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

Edit: Oh, and I did go elsewhere for this one procedure. I couldn't wait.

Last edited:

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Edit: Oh, and I did go elsewhere for this one procedure. I couldn't wait.

Oh, good! I too was worried about leaving an infection that long. Glad you've got the one issue sorted, even if it doesn't fix all the pains. :)

Markiemoo

Not Throwing Away My Shot
Registered
Reaction score
Funny how over Me orial Day weekend I got the worst toothChe. A friend suggested oil pulling with coconut oil. Basicaaly its just swishing coconut oil around in your mouth for a whhile. I was skeptical, but it works! My pain level became manageable and a lot of the swelling went down. I was finally able to get into the dentist yesterday (10 days after the pain) and I have a broken tooth that abcessed. I have to get it pulled and am now on antibiotics. But i do recommend oil pulling

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Coconut oil, thanks for the tip. Not in pain at the moment, but it won't be long. Sorry to hear you've had some problems. Crazy.