I won the Powerball last night!

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
What to do with the winnings?

Not only did I get my $2 back but I won $2 more!

Okay, so its not a huge windfall, but does raise a fun question:

If you won the lottery ($250 million, after taxes), what would you do?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I always figured if I got a big win, half of it would not be mine - it would go to various charities. Of the rest, at least half would end up in savings and/or invested. Then I'd distribute some to family, and repaying a karmic debt to a hospital whose charity program saved me once.

Of what's mine, I'd probably invest in a home (and at least one cat, 'cause I miss pets of my own), a new car (an actual new car, for once - hopefully hybrid), education, and probably some travel/vacation. I'd also look into Lasik. And I'd probably be able to afford a dental visit.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We don't pay taxes on lottery winnings in Canada :) So all of it would be mine to do whatever I wanted with, but our lotteries usually don't go past 50million. I would take half for my hubby and I to do whatever with, set up trusts for my kids, pay off my daughters student loans by her a car and give her a chunk of money. Charities, probably sick kids, make a wish, and Alzheimer Society, Ronald McDonald House. I would also donate to my local hospital. Its fun to dream isn't it!
Oh and I would have a tiny/cozy little one bedroom log cabin(near my main house) for me to write. Nobody but me would be allowed into it! Just like I know my hubby would build a workshop that was his and off limits to everyone.
Guess I better get cracking on writing a best seller so I don't have to depend on the lottery to fund my dreams :):idea::e2cloud9:

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Guess I better get cracking on writing a best seller so I don't have to depend on the lottery to fund my dreams :):idea::e2cloud9:
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^since I never enter those things. It costs money I don't have to toss.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I'd write all day. Seriously, I don't think I could just lounge my life away, I'd go nuts. Like Brightdreamer, (and I've thought of this) I'd also give half away. All my friends would get healthy in a hurry. I'm feeling pretty lucky lately, so any on you who haven't thus far, time to side-up to me and make nice. First thing I'd do is find out what all my friends (that means you) owe on their mortgages and pay them off. I've got two tickets magneted to my fridge that I haven't checked, so keep checking this thread...

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^since I never enter those things. It costs money I don't have to toss.

I've only played a few times myself - the odd office pool, more for feigning sociability than actually expecting to win. (Dad considers it "voluntary taxation.")

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Using the 4% rule, if you invested 250 million, you'd have an average of 10 million every year in interest to support yourself, donate, and re-invest. I'd probably do that since 10 million is a bit easier of a number to think about and still divides a LOT of ways.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Schedule an appt with my attorney and a financial advisor I know and trust. Once the structure was in place I have a list of charities and a few friends who would all receive a monthly infusion of funds.

MM

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
First, what MM said about contacting a financial advisor and attorney who are reputable.

Then give to family. Don't know about friends, as that would be a hard thing to determine who gets what. Then give to charities.

Last, I'd have the comfort of knowing we'd be able to afford health insurance and any illnesses that come our way.

After that--I have no idea.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Take care of a lot of my friends who have had crappy runs of luck in their lives.

And fund AW for the next ten years.

Only ten years?!?! LOL :)

Oh come on, play along and have fun! :)

Using the 4% rule, if you invested 250 million, you'd have an average of 10 million every year in interest to support yourself, donate, and re-invest. I'd probably do that since 10 million is a bit easier of a number to think about and still divides a LOT of ways.

Very practical - so you wouldn't splurge on anything? :(

Schedule an appt with my attorney and a financial advisor I know and trust. Once the structure was in place I have a list of charities and a few friends who would all receive a monthly infusion of funds.

MM

Sound strategy for taking care of yourself and your loved ones - but would you splurge on anything?

Me personally, I'd donate to every animal shelter I could, probably build my own shelter where dogs and cats and domesticated animals would have acres of running and playing areas, with food plentiful, on call medical staff, and a well-paid staff to tend to their needs.

Oh yeah, the practical me would also pay off my debt, so after that happens, not sure I could build said sanctuary...LOL :)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
eta: (Don't know why this posted before I told it to, but oh well...)

1. DON'T TELL ANYONE
2. Email attorney who's worked with family before. Tell him to set up a trust with him as trustee to prevent name from hitting papers (some things actually work better in Texas - no lottery tax and legal protection of one's identity by trust)
3. call CPA who is 772 years old and refuses to use email
4.Claim ticket
5. Wait impatiently for money to arrive in bank.
6. 10% to church
7. Tell family / entire family becomes debt free.
8. Vacation
9. Decide if I'm coming back from vacation...
10. Reality wins out. Vacation ends. Come home and start looking at places to live with enough of a yard that my dog can actually run. / get a car that actually comes on when the key is turned.

(I used to have this dream about winning the lottery. I'd go to a car dealership and buy everyone in my family who was of driving age a car and have them come over for dinner. I'd tell them about the win, then hand out boxes with keychains and tell them to go out back and find the car their key opened. Surprise! That would be fun, too.)

Last edited:

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Very practical - so you wouldn't splurge on anything? :(

Oh, there would be splurging (I'd want to travel a lot, buy groceries that are not loss-leader items, eat out once a while, own a home that didn't require extensive remodeling just to get it up to code (maybe even one in southern cali), get a lot of "peace of mind" medical testing done, have tutors and more expensive extra-curricular options available for my kids, get a gym membership/personal trainer, etc.), but when you have 10 million coming in every year for the rest of your life.... right now my family of four budgets $1800/mo (over half that being mortgage); if we paid off the mortgage and doubled, tripled, even quadrupled the rest of our living expenses, it'd still barely make a dent while simultaneously feeling absolutely lavish.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We are retired, have no debt, a house and a vacation house we love, two cars that are perfectly serviceable, and are in good health. Probably my big splurge would be a week every year for my birthday in New Orleans.

MM

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Its just a massively incomprehensible quantity of money that i wouldn't know where to start, or how it would impact my writerly ambitions.

Some would obviously go to good causes, lots, in fact. And my friends and family would have no more worries.

For me though, i'd want some land, and a barn where I can do arty stuff. Maybe travel a bit, buy some exotic cuts of meat and experiment in the kitchen, and of course, take the kids toy shopping, and buy everything they cast their eyes on. Give the school a stack of cash, replace the missing play area, and reinstate the lido.

I would buy a lot of stuff though, serious binge shopping for tat.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Seems like there's enough ideas here for a book! LOL :)

Hmmmm.....

He stared at his ticket, dumbfounded. There's gotta be a catch...

01, 19, 29, 42, 60, PB 7

Yep, everything matched what the paused TV screen said. Sunufabi... His breath shortened, and he tried to gulp in some air. It couldn't be...could it?

In the very next moment, his heart stopped beating, he fell over, the winning lottery ticket propellered to the ground.

The End

That'd be my likely story!

Last edited:

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Last time someone asked me this question, I was working in the buy-to-let department of the company I work for (boring mortgage company day job). My answer was "invest in buy-to-lets" and everyone thought I was joking. Except I wasn't.

So yeah, I'd invest in property. With that sort of money I'd buy myself a really nice place to live and buy a block of flats and let them all out. Somewhere where I'd get a decent amount of rent and live off the rental income. I'll look into other ways to invest money as well (on account of the ridiculously stupid amount of money that's mentioned in the OP), to get a decent return on the investments, i.e. more income. (I'll make sure I have the best financial advisor for all this.) I'm not that much inclined to a luxurious lifestyle so surplus income would probably end up going to various charities but of course I wouldn't go without anything that I wanted and I'd make sure my kids get whatever education they want without student debt or having to live off beans on toast for their whole time at uni (but I wouldn't give them too much because I don't want them to be entitled brats either... let them stand on their own two feet a bit. I'd help them get on the property ladder though and they'd inherit all my riches anyway.)

At some point (once it's all established and I have enough money to not need any other source of income), I'll turn to social housing, i.e. building affordable homes for low income people and families, with the rent money from those homes being invested back into the communities that live in them. You know, like how council houses were supposed to be run. And maybe fund a homeless shelter and/or other project(s) to help the homeless back into work and housing.

I'd probably end up supporting Monkey World Ape Rescue Centre (which is about a 30 min drive from me, yay!) in their work rescuing and rehabilitating apes and monkeys and also support work/projects protecting wild apes who are endangered, e.g. orangutans whose habitat is in danger from logging. I'll support various human charities as well though... humans are my favourite genus of ape. :greenie

I'll stay living here in sunny Dorset (probably closer to Monkey World though) but I'll have a second home in London, in zone one or two. Nothing too luxurious (cause London house prices are bloody ridiculous, even if you're a multi-millionaire).

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I’d have to hire a financial/an accountant wizard right out the gate. Knowing how I am, I’d give most of it away to whoever and all plucked the appropriate heartstrings. If I managed to hang on to a decent chunk of the windfall change, I’d—like Undercover and so many others—spend it on travel... see through my own eyes all the geographical places I’ve always wanted to see (and then culturally eat my way through every site visited!).

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
My top priorities would be paying off my student loans and my mom's mortgage (neither of which would put much of a dent in my winnings, fortunately).

Then I would consider buying a car and having top surgery or a breast reduction (I'm not certain about surgical gender transition right now, but it sure would be nice to know that I had the ~$7,000-$10,000 I'd need and that I'd be free to choose whatever surgeon I wanted).

I would buy myself an Adobe Creative Suit subscription, and one or two good computers for graphic design and playing games.

After that, I would put a lot of it in savings, preferably in separate categories: emergency funds, funds for future purchases, and retirement. I would support my mom and figure out an amount to donate to charities and non-profits.

It would be kind of nice to stop working full-time or have more flexibility in choosing a job that I really like without concern about benefits. But I would hopefully want to find a good accountant who could go over this with me. I would want to make sure that my money was sustainable enough for that.

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I'd do nothing for six months (aside from collect the winnings and disappear). While I was disappeared, I'd engage a GOOD lawyer and a highly reputable financial advisor. Most of the money would be invested so there would be a continual income stream. There are charities I would donate to regularly - but ONLY the ones who agree NOT to bombard me with solicitations throughout the year. If I'm going to donate, I don't need you to send me reminders - and if I'm not going to donate, you're just wasting the money you got from other donors by sending all that paper to me.

I'm estranged from most of my family, but they'd probably all want to be my new best friend if I won a lot. It wouldn't work for them. The only one of my family I would give money to is my one sister who I still communicate with fairly regularly (plus, she's doing it pretty tough right now so it would be nice to be able to ease a lot of her worries).

After the six months was up, I'd buy a house somewhere along the coast (Mr C is a surfer) with LOTS of room around it. That'd be my splurge, I think. Oh, I'd also pay off all my bestie's debts and make sure she had enough to live on that she could tell her family to take their demands for her time and attention and shove them - and make sure she got to come out for a visit - flying first class, of course.

Other than that, life would go on as usual - just in a different location and with no money worries at all. :)

iszevthere

Registered
Reaction score
I clicked on the headline, fully prepared to congratulate you and ask how you'd spend what I presumed was a large amount. :) Congratulations! And you won $2 more! Woo!

If I won $250 million -after taxes-, I would fund domestic violence shelters and homeless shelters, donate to charities, get through my bucket list (which is not that expensive, mostly "I want to star in this theatre production before I die!"), have a personal driver, and not worry about things I do. Pardon me for not being more creative; my mind is boggling at the mere idea of that amount of money.

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
What to do with the winnings?

Not only did I get my $2 back but I won $2 more!

Okay, so its not a huge windfall, but does raise a fun question:

If you won the lottery ($250 million, after taxes), what would you do?

My family always plays this hypothetical, so I usually troll them and say I'd donate all the money to federal government or perhaps an oil company.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd imagine all of us would (hopefully earlier rather than later), do the following:

1. Hire a lawyer and accountant
2. Pay off debt
3. Invest to live off the income rather than the principal
4. Set up family/friends/loved ones
5. Contribute to charities that have meaning to you
6. Fund the hosting/management for AW for the indefinite future! :)

Assuming all that is accounted for - it sounds like the theme for splurging is in travel. What specific destinations are on your bucket list?