Poetry Machine at the World Cup

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Poetry Machine will be at the Football World Cup in Germany, auto-generating poems based on goals and match results.

An excerpt from the article:
An example poem – from the number sequence 004 315 134 673 110 039 036 529 019 004 366 40 (telephone numbers). English version:

I give in, bloody bastard! Come closer into the tear gas, and promise to pick my bones in peace. Worried ulcers in parking lots. I hope to ignore it for a while. Sloppy rumours: “You are so nasty in bed.” Sincerity is for suckers. Dapper strangers embellish our lives, and flagellation is out for a kill. I compromise. My basement is ablaze with wisdom. I bleed, I swear: We are like the gamblers sweating in the dark! Downstairs reason fades away.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
poetry and football shouldn't be mixed. nope.
wait, with stanzas like this;
My basement is ablaze with wisdom.
I bleed, I swear:
We are like the gamblers
sweating in the dark!
Downstairs reason fades away.

maybe they should enter some final score titles into the next poetry contest here. we could be in trouble.

Last edited:

Nicholas S.H.J.M Woodhouse

swooping after you
Registered
Reaction score
poetinahat said:
I give in, bloody bastard! Come closer into the tear gas, and promise to pick my bones in peace. Worried ulcers in parking lots. I hope to ignore it for a while. Sloppy rumours: “You are so nasty in bed.” Sincerity is for suckers. Dapper strangers embellish our lives, and flagellation is out for a kill. I compromise. My basement is ablaze with wisdom. I bleed, I swear: We are like the gamblers sweating in the dark! Downstairs reason fades away.

now just the north stand!

This is superb. If you say it as fast as you can without pausing for breath, its possibly as moving as football itself. I'll see what I can do, no promises, but this may be the supporter's anthem for 2006.

Bret

Opinionated curmudgeon
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
It's a novelty. Do you think it will "generate" any interest in poetry? What do you think the reaction would have been if someone had proposed having a live human poet compose to the score?

I thought it was pretty good right up to "pick my bones in peace"

People use to send me links to the "haiku generator" which is a similar randomizer. The futbol machine works off the score so it's somewhat relevant but what do you think of machines writing poetry for you in general? I'd just as soon invent a machine that could go out to dinner for me, or watch a sunset, make love to my wife.

Now a machine that could go to work for me so I could stay home and write poetry, there's an invention!

kdnxdr

One of the most important people in the world
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
There's a Blog called the Prosthetic Imagination that's very interesting if you would like to see a little more of what this machine generated poetry stuff is about.