writing turn offs

Reaction score
What are the things that you see in the writing decisions that turn you off from a book, movie , play,series etc. Im not talking about the actual plot tropes but moreso the decisions of what types of story. characters or structure of said story that turn you off from it.
eg
PS SPOILERS

1)Spitting on the previous established continuity in order to make your new story. Dracula is a great story and a bit refreshing because it doesnt have alot of the later vampire cliches that would come in later years. Its official sequel Dracula the Undead forces them in. Now the book itself isnt bad but its so obvious that they just wanted to make it like twilight or something and it messed up the establised characters- basically Draculas now an antihero rather than a villain, practically all of the heroes from the prequel have miserable lives. He hero and heroine from the original- ruined marriage and all the men who helped slay dracula in the previous one die horrible deaths. Why? To ship Dracula and Mina into a terribly forced romantic relationship that, of course made no sense when you read the original.

2) It was all a dream. You get me so invested in this story and at the end I realised none of it happened and thus has no effect on the characters lives.

3) The invincible protagonist. Most movies are about a heroes journey to overcome an obstacle , whether physical or emotional. Thus our hero needs to struggle and through said trials, develop. So it kinda sucks to me when the hero is pretty much the best of the best from the offset. Basically they are unstoppable and flawless from the get go , so nohthing is a credible threat and he/she has nowhere to progress to.
A prime example-and ill hold flak for this- Bruce Lee movies. Yes theyre great action but to me the one way they suffer is if u watch any of the fight scenes or villain interactions- it becomes abundantly clear from the get go,NOONE is any match for his hero and thus he plows through ALL with a minimal effort. It gets to the point where Ive actually started rooting for the villains cause theyre the underdogs.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
The "it was all a dream" ending is pretty much a guaranteed wall-banging offense (as in, the book bangs against the nearest wall - unless it's an eBook, in which case it gets deleted with prejudice.)

So is the "whoops - gotta read a sequel, sucker!" ending, wherein the book is only Part One of an undisclosed series... and no hint was given, on the cover or in the story, that it wouldn't wrap up.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
It was all a dream.

The lovers finally get together only to die

The good guys are perfect, the bad guys aren't really bad, and evil sleeps.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
for me, the X-Men movies are a prime example. Before the movies....I actually liked Wolverine. he wasn't a favorite, but high enough on my LIKE list. after X-Men Last Stand....i absolutely loathe the character now.
so i guess it's the....forcing a character to be the HERO of EVERYTHING!

Fullon_v4.0

Shard Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rtdriver90.tumblr.com
GAMING SPOILER ALERT:

Never tell me it was all a dream unless your Tidus from Final Fantasy X, which in his case, he was a dream.

-End Spoiler-

Other things I can't stand are:
Bad guy was his parent/sibling.
Disregarding a previous plot point for the sake of getting that one "super cool" scene in.
Forcing two characters into a relationship without enough experiences/buildup to the big moment of truth.

s_nov

Registered
Reaction score
I hate it when books break its own rules to give the characters a happy ending. Like I understand if there is a loophole that allows everything to work out, but sometimes it's like the entire world is reconfigured to allow the characters to be together.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I hate it when books break its own rules to give the characters a happy ending. Like I understand if there is a loophole that allows everything to work out, but sometimes it's like the entire world is reconfigured to allow the characters to be together.

Agreed. I also dislike it when a story breaks itself just for a cruddy ending, like the author just wanted to rub my nose in the fact that happiness is a lie and everything is meaningless. Every conclusion should be earned, and every conclusion should fit the story.