Terry Gilliam's Brazil

kaylim

Registered
Reaction score
I think this movie is amazing. Definitely my all-time favorite film.

Quick summary: In a dystopian version of 20th century Britain, a low-level government worker tries to save a woman who he is in love with only in his dreams. All of this stems from a typewriting error that mistakenly causes a man to be arrested and disappeared for terrorism. (Terrible summary I know.)

It's packed with tons of thought provoking social commentary on bureaucracy, fascism, and perpetual warfare as well as how all those elements affect an individuals spiritual well-being. Its a long movie and has a plot that isn't easily understood at first viewing which is why I think a lot of people don't like it that much. But I think people with patience and good attention spans would like it a lot. It is sort of like 1984 with a sense of humor.

Anyone else like this film?

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
All Gilliam, even bad Gilliam, is good. I first saw BRAZIL on the big screen in London city Center the week it came out, and it became an immediate favorite. Full of trademark Gilliam touches, great performances, and savage humor, I think it's the best thing he's done, although I also have great fondness for TIME BANDITS and THE FISHER KING in particular.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I paid to see this in the theater three times. I found it deeply upsetting, and I still couldn't stay away.

The "happy ending" edit is a travesty, and I'm a happy ending girl.

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
I paid to see this in the theater three times. I found it deeply upsetting, and I still couldn't stay away.

The "happy ending" edit is a travesty, and I'm a happy ending girl.

Couldn't agree more on both counts.

Geoffrey Fowler

Registered
Reaction score
Gilliam said Brazil was inspired by 1984 but, in many ways, it's much better and more frightening than Orwell's dystopia. For one thing, it isn't mucked up with religion and truth-will-prevail themes, and, for another, it uses humor, the kind of humor that makes your laughs stick in your throat because it is too close to the truth: The idea of people getting billed by their torturer for his efforts sounds like something the Donald Trump might dream up. The political theme of Brazil, youthful terrorists battling a repressive gerontocracy, is also topical, but I'd better not get into that.

Last edited:

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I first saw this at a midnight movie when I was in college.

I am not a night person, and I fell asleep. The bits and pieces I saw were intriguing, and I figured the reason it didn't make sense was that I was missing time.

So, I later watched it in its entirety.

Sleeping didn't make a difference. The thing is a head trip.

kaylim

Registered
Reaction score
Gilliam said Brazil was inspired by 1984 but, in many ways, it's much better and more frightening than Orwell's dystopia. For one thing, it isn't mucked up with religion and truth-will-prevail themes, and, for another, it uses humor, the kind of humor that makes your laughs stick in your throat because it is too close to the truth: The idea of people getting billed by their torturer for his efforts sounds like something the Donald Trump might dream up. The political theme of Brazil, youthful terrorists battling a repressive gerontocracy, is also topical, but I'd better not get into that.

I haven't read 1984 in a long time, but I didn't come away with any kind of truth-will-prevail or religious themes of any kind. I felt pretty hopeless after I read it. Watching Brazil, I still felt hopeless but I figured we could at least live in our fantasies and dreams.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read 1984 in a long time, but I didn't come away with any kind of truth-will-prevail or religious themes of any kind. I felt pretty hopeless after I read it. Watching Brazil, I still felt hopeless but I figured we could at least live in our fantasies and dreams.
I agree, 1984 is still the bleakest thing I've ever read. At least the totalitarian government crushing humanity in Brazil is incompetent. It's anything but, in 1984.