• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

How much money to offer a beta reader?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaydubbleyew

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in graduate school and had an incredible professor last semester. We got along really well, and even though the class I was taking from her wasn't children's literature (her specialty) we often ended up talking about it anyway. Now I have a completed manuscript and I really want her to take a look at it, but I feel weird just asking her to when I know she's a busy woman. It's especially weird because I took an education class from her, not literature or writing. I want to offer to pay her something, but I make peanuts and I can't even guess what the going rate would be anyway. Do any wise AWers have a recommendation?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Beta readers aren't usually paid. And while I appreciate that you've enjoyed talking to her about writing, if you're going to pay anyone to take a look at it you'd be much better off paying an editorial agency, something like that. Because they understand not only what they like, but how the market, and publishing, works, and what you'd need to change in order to make your book more publishable.

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
I'd never pay for a beta or accept payment for it. Not only because you can get excellent beta readers free, but because it creates such a problematic dynamic for someone you need to trust to tell you the truth, which may hurt or upset you.

But I understand your reticence to ask her for free advice. I think I'd be sneaky and ask her for advice on finding beta readers (as she's a teacher who might know them...) She'll offer if she wants to read. I've had people do that to me and we both knew what was being asked, but it was easy for me to pretend I didn't if I didn't want to read. So I appreciated the approach. :)

Reprobate Typewriter

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's probably better to come at it from a direct path, and not just hover around waiting for her to offer. My thought would be to ask, but make it clear that you understand she's very busy, and that it won't affect future interactions if she says no. Say something very similar to what you said in your post here. And have a clear idea of what the minimum you'll be happy with is, so you can tell her. I usually tell people that it's fine if they don't finish something I've written, but I'd like to know where they stop, and why. It keeps them from forcing their way through, and repeating things they've already said. It also makes them more willing to volunteer the next time, since they don't wind up with that absolute hatred of my stuff.

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
You could always ask if she'd be willing to look at the first chapter to see if you're heading in the right direction. It's not so much of a time commitment for her, and if she likes it enough maybe she'll offer to read the rest. :)

ETA: Oh, and I'd ditto Old Hack and Earthling's advice about not paying beta readers. I've never paid for a beta reader nor received payment for being one. A mention in the acknowledgement's page is always cool, though! :greenie

Last edited:

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
$0

As said, there are many other ways to approach it. I'd suggest offering to swap favors. She beta reads your book, you... paint her kitchen, plant her azaleas, fix her broken ceiling fan - whatever skill you have that she could use.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I agree that you shouldn't pay beta readers. It's a volunteer service, and no matter how much you love or don't love a beta's crits, they are (probably) not a professional editor, and shouldn't be paid for their advice. Now if you want to take a beta you've met in person out for lunch or something after they've given you great notes, that's a little extra nice show of appreciation that's appropriate at a beta level.

There are many ways to get betas who are willing to spend their time on your novel for free. Perhaps not every one will be perfect, but since they are volunteers, that's okay. No matter who is betaing, use whatever advice sounds right to you.

As for this professor, simply ask her if she'd be willing, but make it clear that you understand if she's too busy. No need to bring up pay at all. Be ready to explain your novel in a few sentences, so she knows what it's about and whether she'd be interested. An interested free beta is a lot better than an obligated paid reader. Be prepared that she may say send it to her, but still never read it, just because people are busy and it's hard to say "no" in person.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Offering to pay could come across as weirdly insulting, especially if it's a small amount. You imagine the amount says, "this is all I can afford," but it's really saying, "this is what I think your time is worth."

It may seem counterintuitive, but a simple request to take a look (I like Netz's suggestion of asking her to look at the first chapter) is far less likely to be taken wrong.

kaydubbleyew

Registered
Reaction score
Clearly there's a consensus here! I think I'll ask her to look at the first chapter and if she doesn't have time I'll ask her if she knows anyone who would be willing to swap. Thanks for the help everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.