The Handmaid's Tale

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
I finally read this novel a few months ago, and after some deliberation, decided to give the series a try. I was pleasantly surprised to find that Atwood was consulted throughout the production process, and it shows. While there are some minor changes, the first four episodes were true to her vision in the novel.

Are you watching? I'm impressed with the filming. For such a horrific story, it is beautifully done.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't seen it (or read the book), but will try to catch it On-Demand.

Zombie Fraggle

Thick Skin Pre-Installed
Registered
Reaction score
I've mini-binged two episodes at time, so I'm now caught up. Episode 6 was riveting; one scene in particular is sure to garner an Emmy nod for Elisabeth Moss. Another E06 scene, which shows a discussion between two male characters (in flashback) with an American flag prominently placed, gave me actual cold chills. Great stuff.

Last edited:

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Watching the first episode now. It came with an advisory, and missis writerdude wasn't 'allowed' to borrow it from a colleague while she was carrying the second, and advised to leave it till later. Its about five years later, and it looks to be disturbing. Watching it now, but I've become accustomed to the mild peril of Rainbow Rocks, I might go write a book or something instead.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Watched the whole damn thing yesterday, and now I can't handle moving the rooster in with the hens for half an hour. (This is not a euphemism. I live in the country, and spring is happening down here.)

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Watched the whole damn thing yesterday, and now I can't handle moving the rooster in with the hens for half an hour. (This is not a euphemism. I live in the country, and spring is happening down here.)
is it only on SBS demand mccardey?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, poor rooster, all, 'what'd I do?? #notallroosters!'

I watched it in pieces and thought it was good and really well-done. I read the book ages ago and didn't like it and remember very little of it (it was too litfic-y for me), but might try again.

Fun anecdote as I just saw an interview with Elizabeth Moss last night: Margaret Atwood has a small role as one of the aunts, the one who hits Offred. In filming the scene, Moss said Atwood was very gentle the first take, barely hitting her. Moss said she told Atwood it was fine to really hit her (on the side of the head), just avoid her ear, as that hurts. Take two, Atwood was still super restrained. Moss said this went on a few more takes, with her and the director encouraging Atwood, and Atwood growing bolder, until Atwood suddenly just WAILED on her, at which point, Moss said they decided, 'ok, Margaret Atwood is out of control...' we're good! That's the take in the show.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
is it only on SBS demand mccardey?
It is. Carve out a whole day. I'm not saying it's brilliant, I'm just saying that in the light of the current state of affairs it's entirely terrifying. (Don't watch if you breed poultry. Just don't even.)

ETA: Even totally free-range, spoilt, organic-food-fed poultry and you only take their eggs which they weren't even using for anything....

Last edited:

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
It is. Carve out a whole day. I'm not saying it's brilliant, I'm just saying that in the light of the current state of affairs it's entirely terrifying. (Don't watch if you breed poultry. Just don't even.)

ETA: Even totally free-range, spoilt, organic-food-fed poultry and you only take their eggs which they weren't even using for anything....
Dammit, I can't use SBS demand cos internet. But I should read the book first anyway, it's been on the shelf awhile.

JoyceAernouts

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.smalltownjoyce.wordpress.com
I binge-watched it right after binge-watching 13 reasons why. Two very different shows, but they both focus heavily on the abuse of women, so it might not have been the best idea to watch those back to back. I loved the world she created (not living in that world, but the scary realization that we're not that far off. Last week I bought the book and I'm very excited to start reading.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure what SBS is, but it's on Hulu. Or was, a few weeks ago. Haven't had internet for three weeks, so not sure if it's still up there.

I loved the book, years ago. Absolutely loved the TV show, although it's a bit dark, and occasionally triggering. A few f-bombs, too, for those who care about language. I'm actually cosplaying as a Handmaid at DragonCon this year. There's a whole group getting together for it.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
I read this book years ago, when I was young. It stuck with me as a horrific tale, and still occasionally gave me bad dreams 30 years later. This show is an incredibly timely and well-done version of the book so far. I am sad to say that it is so timely.

Orianna, I do Dragoncon as well! I'm in the art show most days, at my art booth - back left corner near Jasmine Becket-Griffith. Come say hi! (my real name is Christy).

I thought about getting a Handsmaid costume, but I've already got four set (Viking, Steampunk, Catelyn Stark and Harr(iet) Dresden).

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Greendragon, I'm not good at navigating DragonCon by myself, but I will definitely try to find your art booth! I've got two costumes so far, a Steampunk one from previous years and my new Handmaid's outfit. I'm trying to finish a Jedi costume as well, but we're leaving for London day after tomorrow and I'll only have four days once we return before we leave for DragonCon, so I'm not sure if I'll have time to finish it. Still, I'm looking forward to seeing all the Handmaids! Apparently, there will be some Wives there, too. And a few have convinced their guys to dress up as Eyes and/or Commanders. Should be interesting. Maybe a bit creepy, but hopefully in a fun way!

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading the book now and I'm captivated. There are some genius scenes. I don't like to read books after I've seen the movies (I keep picturing the actors in the scenes and it takes me out of it) so I might watch once I'm finished reading.