PDA

View Full Version : Wiring money from USA to UK Ė HELP!

PeteMC
05-09-2017, 08:06 PM
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I wasnít sure where to put it. Does *anyone* know how to do this?

Long story short, Iím in the UK and I bank with Barclays. My agent is in the US and she banks with Wells Fargo. My publisher has paid my advance to my agent (yay!). She now needs to get the money to me, and thatís where itís all hit a brick wall.

I have the SWIFT/BIC code and the IBAN, which is all UK banks need. Wells Fargo are insisting on an International Routing Code, which isnít something we use here. I called Barclays and they gave me the IRC for Barclays USA Ė 026002574 Ė which is all they have, because we donít use IRC here. Wells Fargo are saying itís not a valid IRC for this country, and they need the IRC for Barclays UK, which doesnít exist, because we donít use IRC hereÖ

*bangs head on desk*

Surely there has to be a way to do this Ė does anyone know what it is?

AW Admin
05-09-2017, 08:10 PM
She needs to go up the food chain at Wells Fargo.

https://www.wellsfargo.com/biz/online-banking/international/payments/

See also: http://www.barclays.co.uk/help/international/payments/making-and-receiving-international-payments/receive-money/

Maybe send those to Wells Fargo; there's a contact link at Barclays wherein Wells Fargo can contact Barclays directly.

Maggie Maxwell
05-09-2017, 08:10 PM
There's a reason I dumped Wells Fargo like a hot mess (hint: it's 100% their godawful customer service at any level higher than your local bank). No advice, but I hope you can get it figured out.

PeteMC
05-09-2017, 08:23 PM
She needs to go up the food chain at Wells Fargo.

https://www.wellsfargo.com/biz/online-banking/international/payments/

See also: http://www.barclays.co.uk/help/international/payments/making-and-receiving-international-payments/receive-money/

Maybe send those to Wells Fargo; there's a contact link at Barclays wherein Wells Fargo can contact Barclays directly.

Thanks - I've read both of those pages, but I'll try and get her to make someone at WF speak to someone at Barclays - surely we can't be the first people to ever have done this!

veinglory
05-09-2017, 08:37 PM
As a backup option, I once resorted to sending cash by registered ensured post.

AW Admin
05-09-2017, 08:52 PM
Thanks - I've read both of those pages, but I'll try and get her to make someone at WF speak to someone at Barclays - surely we can't be the first people to ever have done this!

Nope. I note that both my tiny regional bank and my credit union have managed to send monies by wire without a shred of difficulty to the UK and to China.

Melody
05-09-2017, 09:20 PM
I just got paid for writing work done for a company based in China. They asked for the bank's routing number and then my bank account number and then deposited it directly into my bank account. Would your agent or the lit. agency be able to deposit the money for you, since the money is going that way anyway? The only other thing I can think of is to use Western Union. They only charge roughly a $5 fee.

[Either that or open a bank account in the U.S. ;) ]

cornflake
05-09-2017, 09:26 PM
Try asking Barclays for a 'sort code' and try that with WF.

Sleeping Cat Books
05-10-2017, 12:07 PM
Another possible "last resort" is to have your agent send it directly to you through something like TransferWise. They have low rates, and seem to use market currency exchange rates.

onesecondglance
05-10-2017, 01:58 PM
Try asking Barclays for a 'sort code' and try that with WF.

I think the flakey one has it!

https://www08.wellsfargomedia.com/assets/pdf/personal/help/wire-transfer-quick-reference.pdf

2. International Routing Code (IRC): Some countries throughout the international banking community have created international routing codes, which are used in combination with the SWIFT/BIC to aid in routing the payment through a main office to a branch. Each country has a specific name for their routing code (i.e., Sort Code in the United Kingdom, Canadian Payments Association Routing Numbers in Canada)

(my emphasis)

[Just to note for US folk - sort code is used all the time in the UK and is often even on your bank card, so it's not an esoteric number you have to extract from the bank.]

talktidy
05-10-2017, 05:30 PM
Sorry, I did not absorb the content of your original post and was advising you to cover steps you'd already tried.

Might paypal be an option? I've never used it, but my late partner purchased stuff from the US and money was refunded to him from the US on an unfulfilled purchase. Know very little about potential charges, however.

Congrats, by the way.

Reprobate Typewriter
05-10-2017, 05:59 PM
Have you tried a check? You have to be careful that you draw attention to the fact that the check is written in dollars, but I know banks in the US *can* cash British checks so I think that might be an option. I'd make sure I talked to the same person every time, and went there in person.

PeteMC
05-10-2017, 06:04 PM
I think the flakey one has it!

https://www08.wellsfargomedia.com/assets/pdf/personal/help/wire-transfer-quick-reference.pdf

Aha! Thank you - have forwarded that to my agent, fingers crossed!

PeteMC
05-11-2017, 02:35 PM
We have success!

For future ref in case anyone else ever runs into this problem, we *did* have all the right numbers, the issue was simply that for transfers over $10,000 the wire has to be done in person at a Wells Fargo office and not on their online system. Does it say this anywhere on their online system? No, no it does not...

My poor agent has been tearing her hair out over this and it was such a simple fix in the end.

onesecondglance
05-11-2017, 03:11 PM
Good lord, what a palaver.

(Never miss a chance to say "palaver".)

CameronJohnston
05-11-2017, 06:23 PM
Phew, glad you managed to get it all sorted! What a needless waste of your time. Nice of them to put that information there for all to see...

PeteMC
05-11-2017, 06:40 PM
It has indeed been a palaver (great word!) not to mention a pain in the butt, especially for my agent who I am very grateful to for sorting it out! At least we'll know for next time I suppose...

Melody
05-11-2017, 06:46 PM
Glad you got your payment.

MAS
05-11-2017, 07:56 PM
We have success!

For future ref in case anyone else ever runs into this problem, we *did* have all the right numbers, the issue was simply that for transfers over $10,000 the wire has to be done in person at a Wells Fargo office and not on their online system.

That's weird. I used to work in commercial real estate, and we sent wires all over the place via the bank's online system.

PeteMC
05-11-2017, 08:03 PM
No idea - I'm at the UK end of this arrangement and our banking system is completely different to the US one, which probably doesn't help.