• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Submission Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Soon, very soon, I'm going to mail out my first submission for a contest. However, after browsing through Office Max I wasn't able to find any envelope large enough to hold the 342 pages I need to mail out.

What kind of envelope can I use that is easy to obtain on short notice?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Are you asking what postal regulations you need to meet, or who/what sells big envelopes in your neighborhood?

OfficeMax does special orders, if they don't keep what you want in stock.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Walmart stocks a number of various size bubble-pack mailers. Plastic mailers are best to keep out the rain. I use the 12X14 size. If the MS is really big, then I use a flat rate Post Office box that costs 8.10 to mail no matter what weight.

Back your MS with cardboard, wrap some big rubber bands around it, and you're set.

That's how I send a MS in editors, and how they often arrive to me. ;)

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
The problem is I'm in Mexico so Post Office stuff is different. And yes, I'm asking which kind of envelope should I use to mail my MS. I've got the rest figured out.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Presuming there aren't any regs to the contrary, I'd think any study envelope would do. So you can go with manila, Tyvek, or padded (just not the gunk-filled ones).

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
mailer question

DM, There are boxes especially crafted for manuscripts. They're sturdy enough for the rigors of the US mail. You can get these online at http://www.papyrusplace.com/

Staples and Office Max also have them in exact sizes (about an inch all round larger than your standard page size). Depending on how much paper you're sending you may have to stuff some plain paper packing around the bundle. Note: Staples and Office Max won't have them stocked as "manuscript boxes" but they will be in the box section.

Don't forget to wrap your ms in plain paper before placing it in the box.

Best of luck
Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.