quick agent question about submission

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
So, been a while (family illness) since I've been able to post but had a quick question. A fabulous agent has my full, but since she's had it, I got feedback from a terrific beta reader (one I figured had just tabled the MS) The feedback and corrections the beta suggested I think will make the MS much, much stronger. They'll also take a little time for me to complete.

Is it appropriate for me to email the agent, say I'd like to withdraw that MS and submit a new one when I've made the changes? The changes are extensive (same plot but changes to order of things, shortening/removing scenes and so on) I do think it will make the MS much better, but don't want to pester someone!!

Thanks for any ideas!!

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
That's a tough one, as you don't want the agent to think you sent her the MS before it was ready, but you do want her to read your best work.

I think if you do want to send her the new one, you shouldn't phrase it as withdrawing the MS. I would ask if she's started reading because if not you have an updated version following late beta feedback.

One of my friends did that and the agent was happy to read the new one. But I'm sure there are some agents who wouldn't like it. I think you have to weigh it up and decide whether the benefit outweighs the risk. Good luck!

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much Earthling! The (other) issue is that I have not finished the changes. It will take me a little bit, so it's not like I could just resubmit something right now. And yes, I am trying to weigh the "have you started reading it yet, because I have a much stronger MS on the way, but it' snot ready yet," with the "WTF? Why send me this if it wasn't ready?" reaction.

:)

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Maybe say you're continuously revising, and after a short break you've had some fresh ideas and think they've made it better, but that if she prefers to see the one she has, that's okay. Or even just outline some of the changes in an email

2gregory

Golden boy with feet of clay
Registered
Reaction score
I had a good experience with this. I wouldn't go into detail, just say you received feedback and are making modifications. You hope to have the modifications ready soon. Would they mind if you temporarily withdraw the manuscript and resubmit as soon as you are able. When I did this, I got very nice notes back.

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much! I like those ideas! :) I don't want to make things harder for anyone but the changes would make it much stronger! Thank you all so much!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
If it were me, I wouldn't withdraw the ms. You should see where your revision goes first. If she still has it when you're done and are certain it's the version you want to use, that's when you would offer the revised version. If she rejects before you're done and mentions the items you're revising, you could respond that you received similar feedback and are already revising, if she'd like to see a revised copy when you're done.

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
I agree with Sage on this one. You want to avoid coming across as one of those 'flake' writers always chopping and changing something even after it's been submitted. They are hard work to deal with, and you do not want to come across as that.
You could certainly email and ask if they would rather see the revised version if they haven't started it yet, but I'd probably just leave it alone and see what they come back to you with.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Cam. Prolly shouldn't have sent it out to an agent while you were still beta-ing, but since you have, stand by that. And if she picks it up, you have a fab beta basis to add to, should she request changes.

ETA: IANAA

paqart

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paqphoto.com
My own experience of this type of situation is different than yours, but as a cautionary tale, think it is worth passing on. I sent out a small group of email queries back in 2005, and by the time I woke up the next morning, a top agent in New York was calling me to offer representation. A couple of important things to note here are: 1) I had no idea this was a top agent. She was "an agent" from a list that seemed to match the type of material I had, but I knew nothing about her stellar reputation; and 2) I wasn't even close to prepared to be sending out a query letter, but was unaware of this fact. I had written out my book, a non-fiction book that belonged in the MBS category, and it was finished, as far as I could tell. This is what I said in my query. In addition to this, I wrote a very good query, something that I have always been fairly good at, thanks to my knack for salesmanship. I did sign with this agent, but then she was disappointed when I sent my draft, because it clearly wasn't ready. She sent it back, covered with what appeared to be hundreds of carefully considered notes. I took this as a request to make those changes and send it back right away--which I did--about a week later. This happened several times, and I think it exhausted the agent. After a year, the book remained unsold, so I cancelled the relationship with this agent. Since then, I have written four published books and five peer-reviewed journal articles. I also have a contract to publish my PhD thesis as a book with a major publisher of academic publications. What my later experience with writing has shown me is that it is very important to put your best foot forward, to not submit until ready, and then to avoid confusing the agent by constantly making changes--even if they are important to you. Best to wait until you have an established working relationship. Now, I am about to start looking for an agent again, but will be doing this differently and hope I am properly prepared this time.