Deep Sea Fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

elzoria

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to get information about deep sea fishing (in modern times).

What kind of boat would you use?
What kind of fishing gear would you use?
What kind of fish would one catch in the deep sea, possibly in the Gulf of Mexico?
This would not be for commercial fishing, only for entertainment.

Also, anything about shark bait (not dogs and cats!).

Any help would be great :O)

Minister

Unpredictable preacher
Registered
Reaction score
In the South-East, once again - of Michigan this t
Website
www.tominister.blogspot.com
Well, I've done this a few times and loved it, so I'll take a stab here. I'm not a pro by any means, though, so you're just getting my observations.

First, there's a lot of range. I gather you're fishing in the Gulf of Mexico, which is where I've done most of my deep sea fishing. You can go on a big charter boat with 50 other people, or you can be a private boat owner with a motorboat and a Saturday off. You can target the big game fish, which seems to mean trolling, and therefore not much chance of catching anything else. Or you can park in a good spot and fish for something to eat. I prefer the second option -- you've got a much better shot of catching something, and still a pretty good chance of catching something fun. The times I've gone have been on a medium sized motor boat (comfortable for four to six people), but with two heavy duty engines (the best fishing is often a pretty good ways from shore).

As to gear, you'll mostly want heavy rods, although it can be pretty exciting to catch a big fish on small gear. Since it's deep sea, you'll need reels that will hold a good bit of line, preferably of a heavy test weight. For best results, you'll mostly be using cut bait.

As to the fish, if you're fishing in the Gulf, you're in luck -- there's all kinds of great stuff out there. The best eating fish mostly hang out near the bottom, and like structure -- an old wreck, or a reef, or some such. There's a number of artificial reefs in the gulf, sunk to attrack these fish. This is where you'll likely pick up red snapper (and a few other varieties of snapper), grouper, or trigger fish. Those are all terrific eating, though the trigger fish is a very delicate meat (ironic for a member of the piranha family). Fishing closer to the surface, you've got a shot at things like king mackeral (I don't care for that one -- very red, oily meat), which can get pretty big and give a good fight. Last time I was pulling in one of those, we had barracuda hanging out near our boat that tried to attack my king mack on the way in. We ended up catching one or two of the barracuda too. I wish we'd kept them to eat -- slight risk of poison from their meat (one of their preyfish eats a poisonous shellfish), but it's supposed to be a really good meat, and the poison isn't all that dangerous. One of the best fish out there is mahi-mahi, also known as dolphin (to be distinguished from what most people call dolphin, which are actually porpoise). As small fish, those school and like to hang out underneath surface clutter (like driftwood). Since the keeper size on these isn't really that big, you can get them at that size easiest, probably. As they get bigger, they separate from each other and become more free-ranging. They're beautiful fish, can swim somewhere in the vicinity of 50 knots, and are terrific eating.

There's other fish out there; I can't even remember all the ones we've caught or seen. The season in which you fish will determine what you're after and what you can keep. You'll probably see bottlenose dolphin all too often, and after you get over thinking they're so cute, wish you could get rid of them -- they eat the same fish you're fishing for, so you have a terrible time getting anything into the boat when they're around.

As to the shark, we never targeted them specifically (though I've always wanted to catch one). Generally speaking, they're not the best eating in the gulf, and some are downright terrible. They're a fun gamefish, I guess, but no better than tarpon, say. Possibly the most common out in the Gulf is the hammerhead, which looks horrific, but isn't terribly dangerous, as sharks go -- you're safer around that than you are around those barracuda. Often you end up with a shark by catching something else like a snapper, and then having the shark grab that as it goes by. The charter captain we use talks about a group that pulled up something like a 500 pound shark that way. Of course, that's way too large to get into the boat; you just have to cut your line.

Hope some of this helps.

elzoria

Registered
Reaction score
Mahi-Mahi is YUMMY!

Thanks for the reply. I've never been deep sea fishing, but would like to go. I'm also trying to write a horror story about dep sea fishing :O) I've been pier fishing in Galveston and had been on a yacht along the Florida coast, but never ventured in the "deep blue".

I've never had snapper, but am willing to give it a try, and I see tons of fishings pics from the gulf where mostly red snapper is caught.

By "cut bait", I assume you mean cut-up fish.

Do you ever catch white marlin in the deep?

That's good to know about the dolphins. I didn't know they could become a nuisance.

Thanks again! I was beginning to think this board was full of landlubbers :O)

Last edited:

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I used to go out occasionally with my husband's uncle on his shrimp boat (Galveston). I don't know what he used for bait, but he would put a net out to catch the shrimp, then haul them up and put them in a big tub thing on the boat and sort through them. . .throwing back in the other stuff. It was funny to watch the herds of birds (I think that probably should be "flock") following along for the catch. Most of the throw backs never hit the water. . the birds catching them first. He mentioned once that he and a friend were out shrimping and caught some baby sharks in the net.

One of the oddest things caught when I went along was a fish that stays close to the bottom and goes on its side. . .its born with two eyes but ends up with just one eye on the side that is the "up" side of the fish. I don't remember what he called it. I only remember it was pretty freaky.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe I missed a thread about fishing. I'm half blind, so it must've passed by my right eye when the left one was closed.

Dan and fern have so many wonderful comments that it's hard to start adding to them.

I'll take a different approach and focus on a few specifics.

Boat: Just about anything that floats. On a calm day, I've seen 12-foot vessels 30 miles offshore. This is hazardous, of course. Generally, the boat of choice is a 20-35 foot craft with a deep V hull, high sides, and a wide beam for stability (8 to 10 feet). The outboard motor (or outboards, as some have two and even three) is often powered by 150 to 250 horses each. Some vessels have inboard power, usually fueled by diesel, which are similar in some respects to automobile and truck engines.

Fishing Gear: This varies quite a bit, depending on angler preference and types of species targeted. But if you're quarry of choice is very large fish, your tackle should be suitable to the task. (You wouldn't try to bring down a cape buffalo with a derringer, would you?) While offshore, most lines test at 30 pound weight (minimum) to about 125 pound test. You can catch fish many times over the limit of your line's strength, such a 500 pound marlin on 30 pound test, but it will take some doing on the angler's part.

The fishing rod should be classed at least from medium/heavy to heavy. This merely indicates the amount of stress the rod can withstand before it breaks. It's an important consideration, as I can attest, which is how I lost vision in that right eye I mentioned earlier. When the rod broke, the shattered side of one end knocked my glasses off and damaged the cornea as if a serrated blade had scratched a painted surface.

The offshore rod looks similar to a pool cue, stout and tapered, yet flexible, measuring from 7 to 10 feet long.

Most likely, the reel is open faced and holds at least 500 yards of line, which allows the fish plenty of distance to run while the captain maneuvers the boat during the chase.

Two things should be stressed here: There are as many differing opinions about tackle as there are anglers. But one thing most people that fish seriously will agree with is that you should never skimp when it comes to quality gear. Buy the best you can afford. I've seen folks mortgage the farm to buy a great boat and trailer and spend additional thousands getting to where they want to fish, only to skimp when it comes to bare necessities. (Those jumbo packs of 50 hooks that sell for $0.99 should be avoided, even if they are colored red.)

Types of fish: Dan mentions some great examples, to which I'll add grouper (red, black and goliath), wahoo, cobia, jacks, bonito, sailfish, swordfish, marlin, whales [I followed a pregnant humpback last year, very close to shore, and discovered that the species hadn't been spotted in the Gulf of Mexico for 50 years. At the time, I wasn't sure what kind of whale it was, but the sighting was confirmed by news reports.])

It's estimated that there are far more undiscovered species below the waters' surfaces than have ever been identified. For your story, you can come up with just about any type of creature that resembles a fish from the deep (or mammal), and if handled correctly, make it believable.

The final frontier on our planet truly is the deep blue.

Shark Bait: One of the more interesting methods I've heard occurred near Miami about 10 or 12 years ago. Some kind of Cuban mafia thing was going on, and one of the ways to dispose of bodies offshore was to cut them up, pass the body parts through a wood chipper stationed near the boat's stern, and chum for sharks. It worked, and the fishermen on board prospered for a while. (Permission granted to use this in your horror story.)

Should these tidbits prove helpful, elzoria, let me know and I'll offer more if you need them. I've spent fully a third of my life fishing the Gulf of Mexico, and I mean this in actual years on the water. If I don't know the answers, I'll find someone who does.

elzoria

Registered
Reaction score
Good advice

Fern:
I think the flat fish that lives on the ground is called a flounder. They have two eyes on one side and live on the bottom, sometimes burrowing in the sand for camoflauge.

Silver King:
Sorry to hear about your accident. All of this information is very helpful.

I decided to use a sedan cruiser. I had to make my own blueprints to get an idea of where things were located. I still can't find a good website that names all the parts of a modern boat.

Actually, the shark bait sounds perfect. The captain is a vampire and that is the horror part of the story (I don't want to reiterate Peter Benchley's stories of monsters in the deep, although, it is fun to read). I'm also including sharks, so the poor people aboard have no choice. Either swim with the sharks or be sucked dry by a vampire. Not much of a choice.

I had read that in the French Islands people were using live and dead cats and dogs (disgusting!), but I think the Cubans have them beat.

I am looking at all the fish as to how to describe them. I'm also having to learn about spear fishing.

BTW- I love the gulf coast :O)

And for the alien species that live on Earth, check out these pics. All real.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19383

This one if my favorite. His (or her) eyes look so cute. It's like a fleshy platypus.

chimaera_pup.jpg

Last edited:

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Creepers! I'd hate to come face to face with some of the things in the ocean. I'd probably take my chances with the vampire.

Thanks for the flounder info.

Minister

Unpredictable preacher
Registered
Reaction score
In the South-East, once again - of Michigan this t
Website
www.tominister.blogspot.com
Yep, flounder is the fish, although there are other names; up here in Staten Island they call a fish I would call a flounder a fluke. I wouldn't recommend having your deep sea crowd catch one, though; they're typically shallow water fish, coming almost right up to shore. The easiest way to get a bunch of them is to go gigging at night.

Sadly, I've never caught a marlin, but then, I've never really gone after them.

Oh, and those bonito (a member of the tuna family), while they are loads of fun to catch (you really will think you've got a shark on your line, even with a relatively small bonito -- they too can travel in the vicinity of 50 knots), are about the worst thing that comes out of the water to eat. They do make great cut bait, though -- nice and oily. Can't speak for Cubans.

And yes, dolphin can be the bane of a fisherman's existence -- most fishermen really hate them.

Frankly, your folk probaby aren't in much danger if they jump in the water; even the barracuda only attack people occasionally. (exception being if you are throwing bloody meat into the water around the swimmer -- eek!) But it's a long, long swim back to anywhere from where you'd be deep sea fishing. Most people wouldn't make it unless they got picked up. And I'd assume your vampire captain is taking them someplace where they're not likely to run into other boats.

rich

Ha, I've never gone gigging for them; fluke don't have much interest in rock bands. (sorry, Minister, you can see how I couldn't resist.)

I'm across Rariton Bay from you--Long Island. We both get skonked by the same fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.