Sedatives Question

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
Okay I'm considering having a scene where it turns out the bad guys secretly drugged the heroes. Hadn't really planned anything elaborate regarding the drugs--it'll just be sleeping pills ground up into a powder--but I keep wondering whether I should slip it inside the food or the wine. Which would work better?

Alsikepike

Registered
Reaction score
I'd do food, it would be easier to mask the taste with a variety of flavors rather than just one. Sleeping pills will have a slightly bitter taste, especially when ground up. If someone drinks something that tastes a little off they'd be more suspicious than if the food tastes off. Wine should never taste bad unless someone added something to it, but food can have a large variety of reasons for tasting a little strange. Also you can add more sedatives to food compared to wine, as people would be more particular on the taste of wine, so you'd need to get the character to drink a few glasses of wine each just to get the same effect as each of them having a full meal. Personally though, there are more efficient ways to drug a person than sleeping pills, as you'd need a decent amount of them. But, I don't know your story, and in a pinch, sleeping pills will work just fine. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Beanie5

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/
Registered
Reaction score
Hemlock tastes like carrots i believe but not as good for your eyesight, I am not sure if any sleeping stuff mimics food or drink smells might be worth a look, or if they are bitter maybe put it in beer?

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pick your drug, see what it's soluble in, then see if it needs taste disguised. I don't want to suggest drugs because we have enough trouble with date rape already but it's not hard to find out which drugs are commonly used to knock people out.

I read a story recently, The Darkest Corners, where the person ground up Ambien in large doses. Not even sure it would do what the author described but as a reader I didn't care. It was an excellent book.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Pick your drug, see what it's soluble in, then see if it needs taste disguised. I don't want to suggest drugs because we have enough trouble with date rape already but it's not hard to find out which drugs are commonly used to knock people out.
So I'm not the only one with that concern on some threads

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
I understand, GeorgeK. I keep hoping that "I swear to God! I'm a writer, not a terrorist, a pervert, or both!" still counts as a valid legal defense. While I do seem to delight in tormenting fictional characters, in real life, I'm generally a pacifist.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I understand, GeorgeK. I keep hoping that "I swear to God! I'm a writer, not a terrorist, a pervert, or both!" still counts as a valid legal defense. While I do seem to delight in tormenting fictional characters, in real life, I'm generally a pacifist.

I'm not concerned about writers asking the question, or writing about something that occurs, it's important for writers to broach these subjects. There are chapters on sex trafficking in my novel. I just don't personally want to post links and add to hits on sites about date rape drugs.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Researching then inventing a plausible drug is a potentially better option in a number of ways—including not giving how-to instructions, and not likely to be in a potential trade mark danger zone.

Last edited:

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
it's important for writers to broach these subjects. .
I realize that, and some of my stories have disturbing parts. One of my beta readers said he could see the demons climbing out of the pages and trying to claw at him. Apparently I write villains very well, but my heroes are kind of boring. Anyway, every once in a while (not this thread in particular but others) I get a little creeped out especially if the question is too detailed and the the poster is new.