• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for critique partners and writing buddies, and maybe a mentor, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morri

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I hope you all are having a great week. I've recently realized that having a writing buddy/CP really helps with my writing process, so I wanted to post here and see if anyone else would be interested in working with each other to finish our novels. I've seen so many amazing writers with great advice on AW over the years and would also welcome anyone who would consider becoming a mentor. I know I still have a lot to learn!

Genre: Fantasy
Category: YA
Word count: Currently about 20k into the first draft. I'm aiming to end with 70-80k.
Feeback: I take criticism well, so I don't need hand-holding or sugar-coating. I find first reactions very helpful. Tips here and there would be appreciated!

Here is the entire first chapter, and below are the first 200 words.

Tod kept pace with his mother as they ran deeper into the forest, far beyond the borders of their village. His chest burned and his legs ached, but he refused to slow down. Not after what the elves had done to his family and his people. Shadows danced on the edges of his vision, making him think of things that lurked, out of sight and unheard but still dangerous.

Mother is dangerous, too.

She held her staff in her free hand, the dark piece of wood barely visible in the night. He knew what he would have to do with it, and a thread of anger wound its way through the fear gripping his heart.

They finally stopped at the edge of a thicket. Tod tried to quiet his breathing, but it felt as if the air was being sucked right from his lungs. He wiped at the sweat on his brow and his hand came back tacky with his sister’s blood. His eyes burned, and he didn’t fight the tears. His father had told him crying was good because it let out all the bad, but now Father was dead and there was no good to be found.

What I'm looking for: I'd like to work with someone writing YA or adult fantasy. Communicating about twice a week would be great! Ideally, I'm looking for someone with a history on AW. I lurked for quite a while after joining under a different name (Stardrop, I doubt if anyone remembers), but I'm trying to be more active within the community. Since I'm on the first draft I'm mainly looking for someone to bounce ideas of with, to talk about writing, and to get feedback on my plot, character motivations, etc. Of course I'll be willing to do the same for you!

If my writing interests you, shoot me a PM and we can go from there.

Thanks, everyone!

Last edited:

Beanie5

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Morri could be interested. First impression to many things at once, might slow it down.

Elves **** them.
might be a good start, then the fleeing.
pause for breath check pursuit bring in the dangerous mother.. you might want to leave a question mark over weather the sister or farther may have survived
is this the sought of feedback you are looking for? trying to knock up my fifty posts so will leave it at that good luck.

Devabbi

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Morri! I've been on the lookout for a writing buddy too! I've been trying to write a five-book fantasy series for most of my adult life and I've this year turned it into more of a concrete resolution (this is insane because I'm also getting married next year but c'est la vie) and actually started writing what I hope will be the last first draft of these books that I'm going to write. My biggest issue is with having not made writing a priority for so long that now it's not a habit. I haven't had a second opinion on my writing in a very long time and would love a beta partner to ensure that I haven't lost my ability to write when it's more than just me reading. :) I have zero issues looking at my work objectively and taking a hard critique. I won't pretend to be #1 at grammar but I am excellent at spelling, and dynamite with characterization and dialogue flow.

LMK if you'd like to get together!

-Dev

Morri

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your impression, Beanie5.

Devabbi, I'll send you a PM!

scuzzycable

Registered
Reaction score
Howdy Morri and devabbi,

Morri, you're style is pretty sweet with nice flow. I admit, it'd take me a bit more time to have my first 200 looking as polished as your first draft 200. I like how you set the tone, sense of time and place, and at least three character traits in the first sentence, lol! I also like how u put a question in the reader's mind from the getgo as well. Good job!

Devabbi, I'm right there with you on not making writing a priority. I really do have to get my book done. And getting help from helpful people would do the trick.

If y'all have room I'd like to add y'all to my writing buddy arsenal of one. Devabbi, I'm from Texas too btw. Small world.

I'm editing my first project, a 98k YA second draft fantasy about a teenaged nobleman's daughter who is inadvertently hailed a hero of peasants, and chaos occurs when she tries to live up to the hype. It's Clueless meets Joan of Arc. That one has major plot problems.

My other project is a kind of sequel, although they're both standalone in their own way. This project is rather bleak, dark, and mature. A reserved, teenaged Princess (not the chica prior) must seize power in a ruthless patriarchy on the brink of war when her mother is taken hostage.

As far as writing buddy experience, I'd love to knock heads during the first draft phase, and anything I read (or write) during that phase I would take with a grain of salt that it would be seriously edited afterwards. So, anything I read in the first draft phase, I'm thinking of developmental, plot continuity, character arc and trait consistency, etc. type of improvements. Subsequent drafts, I'd start thinking of sentence flow, structure, diction, etc.

If you think I could be of help to either of you, please let me know. Thanks.

Morri

Registered
Reaction score
Sent you a PM, scuzzycable!

Status
Not open for further replies.