First Book Getting Published

Status
Not open for further replies.

DreamDestroyer

Registered
Reaction score
Three years ago I set out to write my first novel. I always wanted to write a book but just never found the time to do so while working two jobs, taking exams for work, getting married and experiencing the birth of my first child. So I've been kind of busy. But after two years, I finally finished. I set it down for six months and then picked it back up for edits. I submitted it to a publisher and they called me back saying they loved it and offered me a contract. I know many of you are going to hate me because it only took one submission to make that happen.

I'm really excited for this next step. The publisher is planning on a release around this holiday season. It's a superhero novel with three sequels planned so hopefully the popularity of the genre doesn't fade away soon.

I also just want to thank everyone on here who helped me when I asked questions during my writing process and for all the helpful information I found while searching the forums for suggestions.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats! What publisher is this, may I ask? Sounds like you are having a great year!!! Good luck to you.

DreamDestroyer

Registered
Reaction score
Morgan James Publishing. Well that all occurred over the past 3 years, but yes, it's been a great few years. Busy but exciting.

DreamDestroyer

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but I haven't dealt with any of those problems or anything along those lines. I did look through that thread. I haven't had to sign up for anything or pay to be signed with them. I'm working with an editor now and don't have to pay a thing. I'm not sure where those stories came from about all those costs. I know someone who used them to publish their book last year and he spoke very highly of them. I looked into them and liked what I saw as well as what I heard from someone who used them. They pay a higher royalty and they do pay a small advance. I also get to keep the rights to my story. I'll keep you guys updated if anything changes but I'm happy with them.

mike33phillip

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! I went the self publishing route with Amazon for my first novel, but my goal is to have a major publisher take an interest in my novel one of these days. Awesome job!

DreamDestroyer

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I have to buy some books but not the 2,500 their site says. I'm only contracted to purchase 1,000, and that's for the life of our contract, not all up front or during the first year or whatever. But I don't see that as a fee though. I'm happy to invest in myself and buy some books. I'll be giving some of them away anyway. I'm not in this to make millions of dollars. I'm having fun. I have some things I'm setting up for next year and my aunt has a book coming out around the same time. She has connections with colleges, schools and universities so she's going to be taking copies of my book with her to sell while she's promoting her own. I'm not worried about buying my own books. But I can understand how that may turn some people off.

clek25

Watching Disney movies
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I have to buy some books but not the 2,500 their site says. I'm only contracted to purchase 1,000, and that's for the life of our contract, not all up front or during the first year or whatever. But I don't see that as a fee though. I'm happy to invest in myself and buy some books.
Be careful, DreamDestroyer. It's super exciting to have a publisher want to sell your book, and the excitement could make you blind to the dangers that may be there. No legitimate publisher would ever require you to purchase your own book. They make money off of every book you sell, not off of you directly. You shouldn't have to invest your own money to get your book published and sold with a traditional publisher.

To me, it seems like they're enticing aspiring authors with a higher royalty rate. Congrats, but tread carefully.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I'm posting this in hopes that you haven't signed anything, yet. Maybe it's not too late.

This statement:

I haven't had to sign up for anything or pay to be signed with them.

And this statement:
They pay a higher royalty and they do pay a small advance.

Are negated by this statement:

Yeah I have to buy some books but not the 2,500 their site says. I'm only contracted to purchase 1,000, and that's for the life of our contract, not all up front or during the first year or whatever.

But I don't see that as a fee though. I'm happy to invest in myself and buy some books.

It's not "a fee." You're paying for the print run, and the amount it costs to but 1,000 books is going to be vastly more than "a small advance" (which is also meant to cover the life of the contract, as an advance is the publisher's best guess at what the book will make over its life). The point of a publisher is that THEY invest in you. By agreeing to this (ridiculous and unprofessional) threshold of responsibility, you've made sure they turn a profit even if you don't.

Authors should be *given* several books as part of their contract - free of charge - and if they want/need more, then they're offered those copies at a steep discount. Books that go to events and appearances ARE NOT pre-purchased by the author and resold. They're sent to the location BY THE PUBLISHER so that the venue / seller can sell them.

I also get to keep the rights to my story.

Because they've not purchased them the way a legit publisher would.

This is how vanity publishing works; it's not how trade publication works. Please understand that no one here is bringing up issues to be mean; we're trying to help you. If you honestly believe that there's anything standard going on here, there's not.

DreamDestroyer

Registered
Reaction score
I'm aware of those dangers. I'm not paying full retail or getting a 50% discount when buying these books. I'm basically getting them at cost. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm not worried about it. For some people, this may not be what they want. I like their model and I'm okay with it. The other person I know who was published through them has had great success through them and wasn't contracted to buy anything. I probably should have had him negotiate my contract. But anyway, I'll keep you guys updated on the progress through this publisher.

DreamDestroyer

Registered
Reaction score
Cyia - I am given books as well. And I know no one is trying to be mean. Everyone has been extremely nice and helpful on this site. Don't worry, I'm not taking anything personally.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Cyia - I am given books as well. And I know no one is trying to be mean. Everyone has been extremely nice and helpful on this site. Don't worry, I'm not taking anything personally.

We just don't want to see you throw away your money on a vanity publisher that almost no one ever makes back. Especially when you said you've got a young child. 1000 copies, even at cost, is thousands of dollars. With three sequels? Multiply that by 4. Your connections may make you some of that back, but most people? Most people end up with 950 books in boxes in their garage and thousands of dollars in the vanity press's pocket. They don't have to push your book if they're making you buy and sell it.

Look at it like this: If they print the books for $3 each, and have you buy the books for $4 each, "practically cost", that's a guaranteed profit for them of $1000. Get a few people a month to agree to that, and they've made bank. You the writer are their customer, not your potential readers. If you don't want to make millions, that's fine. Few do. But vanity publishing almost never makes money for any writer. Most end up with enormous losses. We don't want to see that happen to you, or to anyone.

Olde1649

Registered
Reaction score
This is an interesting thread: it makes me more aware of some dangers. But best of luck to 'Dream Destroyer'.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I have to buy some books but not the 2,500 their site says. I'm only contracted to purchase 1,000, and that's for the life of our contract, not all up front or during the first year or whatever. But I don't see that as a fee though. I'm happy to invest in myself and buy some books.
If you're happy, that's fine - but just for other newbie writers who come upon this thread, this really should ring alarm bells. You invested in yourself when you wrote the book. It's the publisher's job to invest in selling it*.

ETA: * this is to very much simplify, obviously. If you're self-publishing, then it's your publishing-self that invests in the selling. But vanity publishing is a different beast, and it's worth noting here because otherwise the thread might be unhelpful to people who've just begun researching the process.

Last edited:

E. Steve

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if the publisher promotes the book and gets it placed in bookstores? Do they help get appearances and interviews with the media? I published a few non-fiction books years ago with a small regional press, and they had my books out on shelves all over the country, and marketed me as well. Without publisher promotion, the entire burden falls on the author, and bookstores will probably be less willing to carry them.

As far as the author buying copies, I was not required to buy any, was given a few dozen for free, and then I paid the wholesale cost that the bookstores paid (about 40-50%) for any more that I wanted. Over the years, I bought a lot of copies to give to students. Now that they are out of print, Amazon is a lot more expensive for me.

DreamDestroyer - I'm glad you are at least going into this with your eyes wide open. I hope it goes well.

HeavyAirship

Aboard my phaneron.
Registered
Reaction score
Keep it up! Just get your book out there and see what happens!

Status
Not open for further replies.